The Weekly Knot
Vol. 3 Issue 21
The Media Connection - Library Media News from Ms. Arax
Greetings Felegy Staff and happy 2017! See below for helpful information:
1) Media Center Schedule: https://sites.google.com/a/pgcps.org/felegy-media-center/media-class-schedule
a) Having trouble remembering if it's an A or B week? Watch the morning announcements or check the Weekly Knot at the top of the calendar. Also, staff members made up the catchy phrase "A week is PAY week" to help them remember when their classes are.
b) 2nd grade class times are from 10:25-11:25 am (on the same day as your previous classes). Check the above link for revised schedule.
c) Upper Grade Student Book Check Out Hours are from 7:30-8 am every day (with pass from teacher).
d) Lower Grade Student Book Check Out: If you have students who were absent for my class or are working with me on a reading plan please send them with a pass during student book check out hours (7:30-8 am)
e) Book Check Out Makeups: If your class missed their time with me send 5 students at a time during morning student book check out hours with a pass and their books so we can continue to support their literacy (between 7:30-8 am).
2) Book Displays in the Library Media Center (various reading levels):
Winter Season: January
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.: mid-January
3) Need help with research? : If you'd like help supporting our students with their research projects through our library collection and resources contact me and we can collaborate together. Looking forward to working with you!
4) Resources for your teaching and professional development:
a) NEA Report 'Happy Schools Boost Achievement': http://neatoday.org/2016/12/05/school-climate/?utm_source=nea_today_express&utm_campaign=161214neatodayexpress&utm_medium=email&utm_content=happy_schools
b) The New LOC.gov Home Page: Tips for Teachers: http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/2016/12/the-new-loc-gov-home-page-tips-for-teachers/?loclr=eatlcb
c) Introducing loc.gov: Orientation and Research Strategies: http://www.loc.gov/rr/program/orientation.html?loclr=eadrs
d) Primary Sources for the Primary Grades: Learning with Toys from the Past: http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/2017/01/primary-sources-for-the-primary-grades-learning-with-toys-from-the-past/?loclr=eatlcb
e) New Releases at the Bonnie Johns Professional Library: http://destiny.pgcps.org/cataloging/servlet/presentbooklistform.do?listID=22950743&site=295 (Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information)
f) Smithsonian Image Catalog for I Think See Wonder Lessons: https://learninglab.si.edu/profile/smithsonian_libraries
5) See below for information on accessing your account in Destiny. Students and staff can access this catalog from anywhere 24/7.
Accessing our Library Media Center Online Catalog
1) Click on: http://destiny.pgcps.org/
2) Pick our school by clicking links (and scrolling down): Elementary -> Edward M. Felegy Elementary
3) Log into system: Use the same user id and password as you do for
your PGCPS e-mail
4) You will see Home and Catalog Tabs
a) Home Tab: Offers Online resources, Ebooks, and Teacher Resources
b) Catalog Tab: Search for books that we have in the Media Center, see if they are available and check your account.
Any questions? Stop by the Media Center to chat or e-mail me at Anya.AraxMelnick@pgcps.org.
Monday January 9, 2017
Sorry about the previous typo
Tuesday January 10, 2017
Wednesday January 11, 2017
Collaborative Planning, 2:15-3:15
Thursday January 12, 2017
Friday January 13, 2017
Monday January 16, 2017
No School- MLK Day: Make the world a better place
#TeamFelegy Helpful Links
NEW!!!!! PGCPS RTI Site