Feathers for your Wings...
I took time this summer to reflect back over the last 4 years and think about the future of ORE. We have worked hard to embrace the changes we have experienced...growth of about 200 students, larger teams, addition of Bilingual program, Units of Study in Reading, CHAMPS, Foundations, Guided Math...and much more! I'm proud of the growth you have each experienced and dedication you have put forth while learning and growing with a never give up attitude. I also look forward, with anticipation, as our students reap the benefits..
As I started thinking about this new year and "Growing Lifelong Learners," I found the quote below. You will hear me talk about CONNECTIONS frequently this year. Starting with Community Circles, we will focus on making connections with students, parents, teammates and other staff members. I will share my personal goals with you at Staff Development and ask your support and accountability to make them happen!
My other big question aha this summer is WHY? Why did we change? Why Units of Study? Why Foundations? Why and the questions can go on and on. This, too, will be a big focus. Why are growing lifelong learners?
I look forward to seeing you on Tuesday. It truly is one of my favorite days of the school year when we all return. The buzz of excitement that is in the room reignites my passion for what I do. I hope it does the same for you!
See you Tuesday!
Welcome new staff/staff changes
Second - Dina Sauser resigned late Friday for personal reasons. We will be interviewing and hiring as soon as possible.
Third - Alyssa Barker will be self contained; Rachel Henderson from Aldine ISD
Fourth - Jan Shearon will teach math/science/ss; Mendy Carr - ELA from Houser, Shelby Harvey - ELA from Hayes ISD; Ginger Matthews - Math from New Caney ISD, Chelsea Taylor - ELA first year teacher
Specials - Felix Rodriguez - PE from Humble ISD
Special Ed - Michele Arrieta - SCSE Para,
Clinic/Instructional Para - Michelle Anthony
Instructional Para - OPEN
Diagnostician - Lorena Salguero
Staff Development Week
Goals for 18-19
2. Starting in January, teachers will focus on aligning two anchor stations with current learning in the classroom.
3. By the end of the school year, reading and writing teachers will be trained in the conferring process and create their own documentation of conferences.
Things to know:
- Foundations team will review cafeteria and hallway procedures as well as moving on to Levels of Behavior and how each level will be addressed.
- Staff shirts are ready for ordering. Ordering forms are in the front office as well as samples. Congratulations to Melody Steel and Rachel Miller who tied both times so we did a combo shirt. They will be less than $15 each and will be worn on Wednesdays.
Points to Ponder:
- Why do you teach? Knowing your why drives your what and your how. (More to come)
- What are your T-TESS goals? Be very specific this year on your own growth and learning.
- SLO - Student Learning Objective - think about your past few years of teaching. What seems to be a difficult learning objective for the students? (This is something new from T-TESS that we will systematically go through this year)
- What do you do to take care of yourself during the school year to de-stress?
Dates to Know
7 - Staff Development Starts
8 - Teddy Bear Tea
9 - Meet the Teacher
15 - School starts for students
22 - Boosterthon Kick Off
31 - Boosterthon Fun Run
3 - Labor Day Holiday
11 - PTO Spirit Night
20 - Title One/Parent Information Night
5 - Storybook Character Day/Early Release
12 - Fall Pictures
16 - Bosses' Day
18 - Fall Family Night
14 - Class Pictures/Fall retakes
19-23 - Thanksgiving Break
6 - Fourth grade program
19 - Winter parties/Early Release
20 - Jan 6 - Winter Break
7 - Staff Work Day
21 - MLK Holiday
4-8 - Counselors' Week
14 - Donuts with Dad/Valentine's Day Parties
18 - Staff Development Day/No students
22 - Go Texan Day/Luncheon
22 - PTO Kick off for Chocolate Bar sales
8 - Early Release Day
11-15 - Spring Break
22 - Spring Fling Picture Day
5 - Kinder graduation pictures
9 - STAAR writing
12 - Limo party for Chocolate sales
19 & 22 - Holiday
24 - Administrative Professional Day
25 - Spring Garden Night/Title One Info
1 - Principals' Day
6-10 - Teacher and Nurse Appreciate Week
10 - Muffins with Mom
13 - STAAR Math
14 - STAAR Reading
24 - Fun Day/EOY Parties
27 - Memorial Day Holiday
28 - Kinder Graduation
29 - Fourth grade graduation
30 - Last day of school/early release
31 - Staff work day