Bonny Slope Elementary
September 10, 2020
Dates To Remember
9/14 First day of school grades 1-5
9/16 First day of school grade K with Last Name A-L
9/17 First day of school grade K with Last Name M-Z
9/21 First day of school grade PreK
9/22 Aug/Sep Birthday Lunch with Mrs. Maza and Mr. Hiller- K/1/2 Updated
9/25 Aug/Sep Birthday Lunch with Mrs. Maza and Mr. Hiller- 3/4/5 Please note Date Change
9/30 6pm Principal Chat via Zoom
9/30 7pm Fall BSCO Community Meeting via Zoom
PRINCIPAL AND VICE PRINCIPAL'S MESSAGE
As we begin our school year, we know that there will be bumps in the road. The Bonny Slope staff want you to know that we are here to support the distant learning of your child(ren) even with the twists and turns along the way. Please contact us when you need support. If it is tech support you are needing, the student helpdesk is ready and willing. If your student is having a hard time with engagement and you need additional support, please reach out to Tiffany Rodgers, our counselor for ideas. We have a new social worker, Alicia Young for families needing to connect with outside agencies. If you would like to get in touch with a staff member their email is formatted: first name_last email@example.com.
We have several new staff members at Bonny Slope this year:
- Heidi Bossert is teaching fourth grade
- Carol Henrinckx is teaching second grade
- Sarah Grimes is our half-time ELD teacher
- Alicia Young is our new social worker
- Andrew Baird was just hired as our half-time music teacher
- Katherine Bunting is our special education paraprofessional
Our new staff brings with them much experience and we are very fortunate to have them on our team!
Birthday lunches are back! If you have a child with a birthday in August or September, your teacher will send you a link to have a Zoom-lunch time with Assistant Principal Jim Hiller and Principal Janet Maza. Birthday lunches will be on the last full week of each month between 11:00 AM -12:00PM. Look for a schedule and Zoom link soon!
It was great to see everyone at the Meet and Greet this week! Our teachers loved seeing their students in person and look forward to seeing them on Monday at 8:30 AM for their first class meeting. On Friday, (tomorrow), between the hours of 10:00 AM- 2:00PM, families that were unable to pick up their child’s device/belongings during the Meet and Greet, can get them at the front door at Bonny Slope. Just give the staff member your child's name, grade and teacher name and we will give you the devices/belongings.THIS EVENT HAS BEEN POSTPONED DUE TO AIR QUALITY
Every day next week from 11:00AM -12:00PM and Wednesday from 9:30AM-4:00PM, we will have a photo opportunity for families. We will have two Bobby the Bobcat life-sized cutout figures in front of the school for families who want to take pictures of their students on the first week of school. One Bobby will be in front of the globe near the pillars and one Bobby will be on the grass in front of the school. We ask that you be mindful of social distancing and take no more than a minute or two taking pictures if there is a line.
We know this is not the way we want our students to begin their year in school. We feel the absence of our students in the hallways but know that the health and safety of our students is most important. We appreciate you, we care about you, and we are cheering for you.
Wishing you the best year possible!
Janet Maza and Jim Hiller
Final Device/School Supply Pick Up - POSTPONED DUE TO AIR QUALITY
We will have one additional time this week for K-5 students to pick up devices, school supplies and any belongings remaining from last year.
*POSTPONED DUE TO AIR QUALITY*
PLEASE WATCH FOR UPDATES NEXT WEEK. WE WILL GET DEVICES TO YOU AS QUICKLY AS WE CAN!
Free Meals for Kids
Free or Reduced Priced Meals
Covid has impacted the lives of many family members. Families may not be aware of the free and reduced priced meals available to them which is why I want to encourage all families to read the following information in the event they may qualify for this program. Additionally, once families qualify, they also can receive benefits such as free device coverage, free outdoor school, reduced athletic fees, etc. The following information came from the BSD website found here.
1. Who can get free or reduced-price meals?
- All children in households receiving benefits from Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits, TANF or FDPIR are eligible for free meals.
- Foster children who are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals.
- Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant are eligible for free meals. • Children may qualify for free or reduced-price meals if your household’s income is at or below the limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines (see chart below). Oregon’s Expanded Income Guidelines (EIG) has been fully funded through the Student Success Act, effective July 1, 2020. This means families can qualify for free meals if their income is between 185-300% above the Federal poverty rates for all BSD enrolled students. Families must fill out a Meal Benefits application to participate in this free program.
*Reduced price is $0 for all reimbursable meals. Here are some common questions and answers to help you with the application process.
2. How do I know if my children qualify as homeless, migrant, or runaway?
- Do the members of your household lack a permanent address?
- Are you staying together in a shelter, hotel, or other temporary housing arrangement?
- Does your family relocate on a seasonal basis?
- Are any children living with you who have chosen to leave their prior family or household?
If you believe children in your household meet these descriptions and haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please call Homeless Liaison Lisa Mentesana at (503)356-5071 or Migrant Liaison Judy Swearingen at (503)356-3764.
3. Do I need to fill out an application for each child?
No. Use one Family Application for Free & Reduced Meals for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to: Meal Benefits, 10740 NE Walker Road, Entrance D1, Hillsboro, OR 97006. Your children may not receive benefits until you receive a letter saying they are eligible.
4. Should I fill out an application if I received a letter this school year saying my children are already approved for free meals?
No, but please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions. If any children in your household were missing from your eligibility notification, contact Laurie Bishop, Meal Benefits Program Specialist, at (503)356-3957 immediately.
5. Can I apply online?
Yes! The online application is faster for us to process, and it cannot get misplaced! The online application has the same requirements as the paper application. Visit www.schoolcafe.com to apply online. Contact Laurie Bishop, Meal Benefits Program Specialist, at (503)356-3957 if you have any questions about the online application.
Need School Supplies?
Beaverton School District has put together Student Success Kits for families who might need help with school supplies this year. If you would like a Student Success Kit for your child(ren), please contact Tiffany Rodgers at firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Help Desk is OPEN!
Bonny Slope Elementary
Principal: Janet Maza
Assistant Principal: Jim HIller
11775 NW McDaniel Rd.
Portland, OR 97229