Grapevine Mustang Band
COVID-19 Update week #3
Notes from the Directors
Good afternoon, Mustang Band!
- Check Google Classroom, Remind, School Email DAILY.
- Every student will have an assignment posted in Google classroom later today. Students will go to https://www.grapevinehsband.com/band-online.html and find videos for their section. Students will watch one video and give a one page summary of the key points in the video using their own words. Students will also record a one minute video of them performing the exercises in the video. This assignment is due on Friday by noon. Grades will be based on a pass/fail basis and failing work will be redone until it is deemed passing. Late work will not be accepted. Please let Mr. Rees know if you have any issues.
- Arena scheduling begins tomorrow for juniors. There is a lot of uncertainty, but we are in the process of putting the band schedule together. For now, students should sign up for the level of band they are currently enrolled in!
- We have not begun auditions for current high school students and still have some incoming 8th graders left to finish. Once we are cleared to do those from the district level, we will begin that process. Students should plan on preparing their scales and the metronome etude.
- We know that many of you have questions and all of us have a great deal of uncertainty about what is coming. We will find a time for a band meeting in the near future once we have a little bit more clarity.
- Would you like to know the marching show for next year? Stay tuned…
- If you are an 8th grader, we have created a special Google classroom for you to help you prepare for your freshman year at GHS! The join code is aan7mel.
- If you are a current Mustang Band member and you’re interested in applying for a leadership position for next year the Google classroom join code is 6yaxz7s. There is already a video posted there for you to watch!
- If you are unable to access online resources (Google Classroom, WebEx, GCISD@HomeLearning, etc) please email your band director IMMEDIATELY so we can provide support or make alternative arrangements.
- You need to clean and disinfect your instruments! (videos below)
- Please do not hold student led rehearsals at this time.
- Establish a routine for yourself to keep your life as normal as possible. Dedicate time to growing as a musician every day. Our suggestion is below.
2020-21 Band Class Schedule
- 1st – Marching Band (rehearsal schedule below)
- 2nd – Applied Music
- 8th – Percussion Ensemble
- 1st – Wind Ensemble (Varsity)
- 2nd – Percussion Ensemble, Winterguard, Applied Music, Concert Band(Sub-Non Varsity B)
- 5th – Symphonic Band (Sub-Non Varsity A)
- 8th – Honors Band (Non-Varsity)
Marching Band weekly rehearsal schedule is as follows:
- Monday – 5PM to 8PM in Mustang-Panther Stadium
- Tuesday – 7AM to 9:30AM at Grapevine HS
- Wednesday – 7AM to 9:30AM at Grapevine HS
- Thursday – 7AM to 9:30AM at Grapevine HS
- Friday – 8AM to 9:30AM at Grapevine HS
WebEx Performance Hour #2
Sign up here:
- Sign up for ONE performance time slot. If we run out of slots, we will have other opportunities to perform.
- If you already performed, please wait until WEDNESDAY to sign up to give others a chance.
- Everyone should plan to sign up eventually for a performance time.
- During this event you can come and go as you wish. You do not need to be present the entire time.
- You are encouraged to watch at least 3 performances.
2020 Guard Auditions
GHS BAND BINGO
- Fill out the bingo card
- nominate 3 friends by tagging them and the band account
- Share on your Snapchat, Facebook, or Instagram story
FOLLOW the Mustang Band
Fundamentals (10 Mins)
- Long tones, Remington exercises - Use a tuner and a metronome and learn to address tuning issues
- Articulation exercises - The tongue is a muscle and must be worked daily
- Slurs for flexibility and range - Lip slurs for brass – same color of sound on every note and Register or octave slurs for woodwinds
Scales and Technique (15 Mins)
- All 12 major scales PLUS the arpeggio - If you know them, memorize them, If they’re memorized, go faster or start the minor scales, Arpeggios are just as important as scales
- Play scales 3 times - 1st time – slow, in tune, work on tone, 2nd time – at a tempo you can play flawlessly, 3rd time – faster to push your limits
- Chromatic Scale – same slow/medium/fast approach
- Technical exercises from the blue book or another source - Play in all keys at least once per week!
- Scales in thirds, scales in patterns
Band Music (15 – 30 Mins)
- Do not give up on your band music! You’ve worked hard on it and we still want to give beautiful performances!
- March – play it on concert F to refine the articulation, slow it down and tune each note then put the two ideas together - Can you play the loud AND soft parts in tune
- Other pieces - What the hardest parts of the music? Slow them down and play them perfectly - Nothing is as good as a ton of correct repetitions with a metronome and a tuner
- Other Music (15 minutes)
- Have you learned the metronome etude? https://www.grapevinehsband.com/uploads/7/8/7/0/78709128/metronomeetude.pdf
- Have you started on another solo? There’s a ton of great music for you to play.
HOW TO PAY BAND FEES ONLINE VIA PAYPAL
You may pay for your child’s fees easily with a credit card using a Pay Pal account. To use this feature, click on the “Finances” button then choose the “Make A Trip Payment” button. If you have not set up a Pay Pal account, you will be given an option to do so. Choose to pay using your credit card, debit card, or bank account. Make secure purchases without revealing your credit card number or financial information to the GHS Band or the CHARMS system. PayPal offers one of the safest platforms for online commerce with fraud rates at a fraction of those of typical e-commerce offerings. PayPal offers ease and flexibility, accepting all major credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express), as well as all major debit cards and direct transfers. Please be aware that there is a fee to pay by credit card.
Other links and forms
If you have a broken school-owned instrument that needs repaired, go to the band website to fill out the repair form. Follow the directions carefully.
If you have lost your music and need a copy, WE HAVE A SOLUTION! The form must be completed 48 hours before the time you need music so the librarians can get you copies.