Characteristics of a Six Year Old
By: Aly Handy
Physical Characteristics of a Six Year Old
- By this age children should be able brush their teeth without help from a parent.
- The child's neck will be longer than what it was when they were three.
- The child should hold arms closer to their body when walking than they did as a toddler.
Motor Skills of a Six Year Old
- Should be able to jump rode by this point.
- Should be able to ride a bike without training wheels.
- Should be able to write entire words.
Emotional Characteristics of a Six Year Old
- Will experience rapid mood changes.
- Can enjoy music, dance lessons, or organized sports.
- Crave praise and approval, easily hurt and disturbed.
Social Characteristics of a Six Year Old
- Want everything and want to do everything their way.
- Normally have friends the same age and same sex, but play readily in mixed groups.
- Have no regard for team effort.
Physical Car of a Six Year Old
- Children are less interested in bathing than they were as a toddler.
- Most children will like helping pick out their clothing and if they don't then include them in the process.
- Need 10-12 of sleep a night.