Body Image and Beauty
Body image and beauty is about how much self worth you have for yourself and what you think your body looks like compared to others. I think body image is important but you shouldn't be obsessive with how it looks and how it looks compared to others
An eating disorder is an illness that causes serious disturbances to your everyday diet.
Eat disorders often develop over many years. Many people say that they didn't even notice that they had a eating disorder because there would be on and off periods.
Avoid joking around about eating disorders
You never know if someone has a eating disorder so don't joke around about eating disorders or saying size matters.
Facts about eating disorders
- Eating disorders are categorized as mental illnesses
- The three main eating disorders are Anorexia, fear of gaining weight, and Bulimia.
- About 25 million people in the US struggle with an eating disorder.
- A mere 10% of people with eating disorders receive treatment.
- On a college campus, 91% of women admitted to controlling there weight through diet.
- Men make up 10-15% of of the population with anorexia and bulimia
- Men are least likely to seek help due to gender stereotypes.
- 68% of girls 10-18 said that photographs of models and celebrities inspired their desired body shape.
- Eating disorders can be genetic and caused by psychological issues
- More than 50% of girls and 33% of teen boys admit to using unhealthy methods such as cigarettes or vomiting to control there weight
5 Steps to Improve Body Image
- Appreciate all that your body can do
- Wear clothes that are comfortable and that makes you feel good about your body
- Surround yourself with positive people
- Keep a top teen list of the things you like about yourself
- Shut down the voices in your head that tells you your body inst right