Hark! the Herald
Friday, September 11th, 2020
What a wonderful first week we had here at Saint Michael School!
Thank you to everyone for your partnership as we reopen our school for the year.
Never Forgotten: A tribute to all those touched by 9/11/2001
IMPORTANT DATES AND REMINDERS
Wednesday, September 23: Early Release at Noon (Teacher In-Service Day) No aftercare
UPDATE: Thursday, September 24: School Picture Day (held first thing in the morning)
Tuesday, September 29: Feast Day of Saint Michael
Wednesday, September 30: Drawing for (1)$500 tuition voucher.
Get your tickets in by Tuesday 9/29 to have your name entered.
A look ahead into the month of October:
Thursday, October 1: Makeup for School Picture Day
Monday, October 5: NO SCHOOL, In-Service Day
Monday, October 12: NO SCHOOL, Columbus Day
Friday, October 23rd: Super Raffle Drawing
- Please note that our new, rescheduled Picture Day will be Thursday, September 24th, right after Mass, while the students and staff are looking their SMS best!
- Until further notice, Mass on Thursday mornings is closed to the public. Out of precaution for the health and safety of our school community, we have to ask that all parents and community supporters not attend Mass on Thursday mornings. This is a special accommodation that Father Justin has made for our school community and we are so grateful for your understanding.
- Please make sure to send your students in with a reusable water bottle each day. The first few weeks of school are always hot. We have touch-less refilling stations for the students to access, and they are encouraged to keep them on their desk or nearby for easy hydration.
Our students enjoying the new outdoor classroom spaces
Get your SMS gear!
If you are new to Saint Michael School, or your missed out on our enrollment incentive this spring, here is your second chance!
Silver Screen Design offers tshirts, polos and sweatshirts available, and new for fall: SMS fleece vests and a baseball hat.
Our SMS online store link will be open for one more week.
You can have your order shipped directly to you, or you can select to have it delivered to the school for distribution.
Please understand that all sales are final, as they are a custom order screen printing and embroidery company, not a clothing retailer.
It's Super Raffle Ticket Time!
As a reminder, anyone who sells atleast 6 of their tickets by Wednesday, September 30th will have their name entered into a drawing for a tuition voucher worth $500 towards the 2021/2022 school year!
If you have any questions about the Super Raffle,
we encourage you to call the office at 802.254.6320.
Not only is this a great way to sell your tickets but more importantly, a chance to inform people in our community about the educational experience offered here at Saint Michael's. Parishioners are thrilled to learn there is a Catholic school in the area.
Please make sure: your children are present with you, wearing their SMS uniforms, smiling as best as they can through their masks and saying thank you... it means a lot to our donors!
Suggestion: Bring masks, scissors, 6-10 pens, a clipboard or table, and some cash to make change.
Make sure to arrive 30 minutes early and wear your SMS uniform!
Please arrive about 30 minutes before mass and inform someone. Father Campoli will make an announcement at the end of mass so it is important he knows we are there.
Our New Teacher Feature This Week: Ms Sarah Bemis
Hello Saint Michael School families!
My name is Sarah Bemis and I am thrilled to be your new Kindergarten teacher this year.
I have worked in the Brattleboro community as a preschool teacher for the last four years serving children three to five years of age. I have a B.S. in Early Childhood Education and Sociology from Eastern Connecticut State University. I hold a Vermont Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Education teaching license.
I am an alumni of St. Michael’s school and spent the first seven years of my education here as a student learning and growing. This school community is a truly unique place and I feel so blessed to be given the opportunity to return home. This school instilled in me a true love of learning and a love for our Lord. It is an honor to come back all these years later and serve new children and their families. I look forward to getting to know each of you well this year and in the years to come.
Ms. Sarah Bemis
DAILY SCHOOL ROUTINES for the 20/21 SCHOOL YEAR
- PE is on Monday and Wednesday this year for students through 8th grade. Unless otherwise noted, please come in your PE uniforms on those days. This does not pertain to high school students.
- Art will remain on Tuesdays
- Music will be on Thursdays
- Technology will be on Fridays
- This year, our school mass will be held on Thursdays at 8:45 am. Until further notice, this will remain a closed, private mass for our school community only.
- Drop off is at 8:15 daily. If you arrive at school after 8:25, you are considered tardy and must stop by the office to check in before going to your classroom.
- Pick up is at 3:10 daily. Please meet your children outside at the designated entrance for their grade each day. If a parent does not arrive by 3:15, younger students will be signed into our extended care program.
- School breakfast lunch and after-school snack orders will be confirmed at drop off by staff during daily temp checks. Please make sure you remind your child what they need to order for the day.
- Regarding Birthday Celebrations: For now, we are temporarily putting a halt to birthday celebrations here at school. Students may still dress down to celebrate their birthday but we ask that parents please not send in any snacks to the classroom. We will let you know when this changes.
Everyone Eats Until December for FREE!
You should have received a copy of the menu for each student in your household. If you have not returned your menu to Mrs. Gauthier with your lunch selections for the month, please do so ASAP. Please write each student's name on a menu and circle the (1) item they would like to order for the day. We are being asked to provide lunch counts for the entire week, but the entire month of September would be wonderful.
Under current COVID guidelines, ALL MEALS WILL BE FREE until atleast December!!!
Everyone is currently eligible to participate. There are no income requirements at this time. We have been instructed to let everyone know that the WSESU food program will reevaluate available grants and funding this winter. We will keep you informed if there is a cost for meals when we return, or if the food program will continue to be free for all for the remainder of the year.
Saint Michael School is seeking a technology teacher...Please spread the word!
We are looking for well-qualified, enthusiastic professional to join our SMS family as a technology teacher. The position would require 1 day of work on Fridays.
This is a great opportunity for someone looking to grow their experience in the field of education, or for a parent to become more connected to their child's school.
If you know someone with experience that seems perfect for the position, please encourage them to email principal Elaine Beam at firstname.lastname@example.org with a current resume and 3 references.
As you do your shopping, please shop at smile.amazon.com/ch/03-0181252 Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the Saint Michael Parish Charitable Trust.
We are here for you!
Questions? Thoughts? Suggestions?
Please reach out. We LOVE to hear from our families!
If you are not already a friend of SMS on Facebook, please come join us! We will post school cancellations, fun photos and events that happen during the week that don't make it into the Hark!