INDEPENDENCE ELEMENTARY, 8/01/17
We are just two weeks away from the start of school! For me, it's a time of joy! Our building has been mostly unoccupied and boring during the past two months. That is, except for the incredible custodial staff who has our school sparkling and your phenomenal teachers who have been rearranging their classrooms and adding to their toolboxes.
I am ready for your energy to fill the building and to hear your stories of summer fun, new books and travels.
Parents, we missed you too and have lots to catch up on. Please take time to read through our first Memo of the year and catch up on the "need to knows" for the 2017-2018 school year.
-Mark T. Basham, Principal
INCLUDED IN THIS WEEK'S MEMO...
- Policy Update: Birthday Treats
- Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
- Attendance and Bell to Bell Instruction
- School Supplies
- 1st 6 Weeks Events
Policy Update: Birthday Treats
Due to the increasing amount of classroom allergies, we now have a school-wide policy of no edible birthday treats in the classroom. Parents may provide a non-edible birthday treat at the end of the day. Some alternative suggestions are pencils, erasers, trinkets, etc. Birthday invitations may be given to the entire class, all the girls, or all the boys in a class. Thank you for your understanding and flexibility with this matter.
We appreciate your support in helping keep ALL of our kids safe.
Parents! This year’s main fundraiser is for Mavericks' Fun Run! It’s a 9-day program that kicks off with a Pep Rally on Monday, August 28. Families will then gather pledges for every lap your student runs (30-35 laps), and we’ll celebrate at the Fun Run on Friday, September 8.
With our big goal of raising $25,000 for PTA programs and Classroom Literacy we asked the Fun Run experts at Boosterthon to power our Fun Run and make it more profitable, easier, and fun.
Students will also experience an amazing character theme, CASTLE QUEST! an English castle theme all about being brave and living with character. On their quest to regain Bravemore Castle, students will learn the “SIX VIRTUES of a TRUE HERO” from a cast of colorful characters.
Donations will go toward PTA programs and Classroom Literacy and to the entire 9-day experience. So please help our school by reaching out to sponsors. Also, all families are invited to come out and cheer on your student at the Fun Run! Thank you for your support!
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
Please note that school doors open at 7:25.
Dismissal begins at 3:14.
REPORT ABSENCES HERE: Dianna.Espinoza@kellerisd.net
Attendance and Bell-to-Bell Instruction
- Doors open and staff are available to supervise students
- K-1st students report to the cafeteria
- 2nd-4th students report to the gym, or to the cafeteria to eat breakfast
- Parents, on the first day of school you may walk your child to class. From the 2nd day on, you will not be allowed to walk them to class, but you may drop them off at our exterior doors or front foyer.
- K-1st teachers pick up students from the cafeteria
- K-4 students entering the building go directly to class
- Tardy bell rings
- Announcements start
- Morning meeting starts in every classroom
- Attendance is officially taken
- We ask that you notify us ASAP if your child is out sick, at a doctor's appointment, or out for family reasons.
- Notification of absences and appointments need to go to your child's teacher and our new attendance clerk Dianna Espinoza.
- Please email Dianna at Dianna.Espinoza@kellerisd.net. We also have a link provided in on our homepage to report absences.
- Last call for early dismissal
- If you need your child released early, please arrive in the office by 2:45.
- This ensures that we have time to get your student from class and for you to exit our parking lot before dismissal lines begin.
- Internal dismissal begins
- This includes sending our older siblings and carpoolers to meet up with their younger siblings and carpoolers.
- Students exit the building following the dismissal procedures in the diagram above
- Please note that the first two weeks of dismissal typically take longer as students and families become familiar with the routine.
- Please know that regardless of time to dismiss students, our number one priority is STUDENT SAFETY.
Meet the Teacher
Thursday, Aug. 10th, 5:30-6:30pm
11773 Bray Birch Drive
Fort Worth, TX
There will also be opportunities to add money to your child's lunch account and sign up for PTA.
If you have not purchased your supplies, please click the link below to see a full list of needed supplies.
*4th grade parents: Please purchase a 1.5 inch binder and NOT a 1 inch binder.
1st DAY OF SCHOOL TUES.AUGUST 15TH
1st 6 Weeks calendar
- Tue. 8/1-Wed. 8/2: Kinder Camp
- Tuesday, Aug. 8: Teacher phone calls to students, afternoon
- Thursday, Aug. 10: Meet The Teacher, come and go 5:30-6:30 PM
- Tuesday, Aug: 15: FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL! 7:25 AM!
- Tuesday, Aug. 15: Tears and Cheers!, 7:30-8:15 AM
- Thursday, Aug. 17: Academic Parent Teacher Teams, 4th grade 6:00 PM
- Friday, Aug. 18: PRIDE Rally, 8:00 AM
- Tuesday, Aug. 22: Academic Parent Teacher Teams, Kinder 6:00 PM
- Tuesday, Aug. 22: Academic Parent Teacher Teams, 2nd grade 7:00 PM
- Friday, Aug. 25: PTA Back to School Bash!, 6:00-8:00 PM
- Monday, Aug. 28: Boosterthon Kickoff!, 2:15 PM
- Tuesday, Aug. 29: Academic Parent Teacher Teams, 1st grade 6:00 PM
- Tuesday, Aug. 29: Academic Parent Teacher Teams, 3rd grade 7:00 PM
- Monday, Sept. 4: Labor Day, school holiday
- Wednesday, Sept. 6: All-Pro Dads Breakfast, 7:15 AM
- Friday, Sept. 8: Boosterthon Mavericks' Fun Run!
- Tuesday, Sept. 12: PTA Meeting, 6:00 PM
- Friday, Sept. 22: End of 1st 6 weeks
Back to School Bash
Friday, Aug. 25th, 6-8pm
11773 Bray Birch Drive
Fort Worth, TX
We look forward to seeing you there!