The Panther Post
March 2019 Monthly Newsletter
Illinois Assessment of Readiness Testing
It is essential that your child is present at school the days we are administering the tests, March 18-22, March 25-29, and make up testing will be April 1-5. This test will allow us to see how your child is performing in English Language Arts and Math compared to students at the same grade level across the nation.
You can provide extra practice exercises and questions that are similar to those that may be on the test. These can be found online by clicking on the following link...https://parcc.pearson.com/practice-tests/
It is very important to prepare your child for the IAR tests. We will be testing March 18-29, so please be sure your child gets a good night's sleep the night before each of the testing sessions. Also, be sure your child eats a healthy breakfast either at home or at school that is fulfilling. Whole grains and fruits are great foods that will keep your child full and provide him/her with the energy needed to take the IAR assessments. By providing your child with a good night's sleep and a healthy breakfast, you will be doing your best to ensure your child is working at full capacity.
Staying calm on test days will help your child stay calm as well. If your child tends to experience anxiety at the thought of testing, show him/her some relaxation techniques that can be used to calm him/her before testing begins.
Always remember the big picture. While IAR assessments are important, they are not the only way to gauge a child's success. No standardized test or grading system is perfect. All assessments have limitations and the IAR test is no different. Remind yourself and your child that testing is just one part of their education. With a parents support and involvement in their education, all children will be on their way to a bright future.
To get students excited and motivated about testing, members of student council planned spirit days for the two weeks students will be testing. Please encourage your child to participate in these days.
March 18 Senior Day (dress like old people)
March 19 Meme or Vine Day
March 20 Beach Day
March 21 Pajama Day
March 25 80's Day
March 26 Cartoon Character Day
March 27 Super Hero Day
March 28 Sports Day
Read the Day Away
What an awesome day we had today - it was Read the Day Away at PHS! Our first visitor in kindergarten was Mrs. McFall. We were so excited for her to read “Green Eggs and Ham” by Dr. Seuss! After she finished reading, she had a surprise for us - she had made and brought green eggs and ham to share with us! Thank you Mrs. McFall for the delicious food and for sharing your love of reading with us. We are working on becoming great readers too!
Staff and students enjoyed a day of exploring and celebrating a variety of cultures including Hispanic, Chinese, and African-American. They tasted some delicious authentic cuisine from each of the countries and participated in some activities to learn more about the different cultures. One of the favorites was listening to mariachi music performed by Santiago.
Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Students participated in a variety of spirit days-including CRAZY HAIR DAY :-) through the month of February to help raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. To date, we have raised $700 for the LLS to help children battling blood cancers. Thanks to the staff, students, and families at PHS for their generosity.
Read the Day Away
Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Important Notes & Reminders
- Pleasant Hill will host our Muffins with Mom event on Wednesday, March 13th at 7:30 AM. Please join us for breakfast and a fun activity in the classroom. Don't forget to bring your ID to get checked in at the office.
- Thank you so much to all families who came out to discuss your child's progress at conferences last month! We are so grateful for your partnership in education.
- Please remember that if your child will not be in attendance at school for the day, you need to call Mrs. Dimmitt in the office by 9:00 AM to let her know why your child will be absent. The office phone number is 637.6829.
- THANKS SO MUCH to all the staff, students, and families who donated to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Pleasant Hill raised over $700 to help children who are battling blood cancers. We truly appreciate your generosity. Our first place classroom winner with the most donations this year was KINDERGARTEN. Congratulations Kindergarten #phillpanthers!.
Congratulations to Our Star Students of the Month Max Reinboldt & Gage Tuck
Mark Your Calendars
- March 1-Read the Day Away-POPCORN FRIDAY-Track Practice 4:00-5:30
- March 4-Track Practice 4:00-5:30-Parents Club Meeting 6:00
- March 5-Track Practice 4:00-5:30
- March 6-Vision & Hearing Screenings-Track Practice 4:00-5:30
- March 7-Track Pictures & Practice 4:00-5:30
- March 8-Early Dismissal @ 11:30
- March 9-Track Practice 9:00-11:00 @ LCHS
- March 12-Track Meet @ Princeton 4:15
- March 13-Muffins with Mom 7:30 AM-Track Practice 4:00-5:30
- March 14-Green Out Day-Wear St. Patrick's Day Attire & Green-Track Practice 4:00-5:30
- March 15-Spring Pictures-STUCO Pizza Day-Junior High Dance 7:00-9:00
- March 18-29-IAR Testing
- March 19-Track Practice 4:00-5:30
- March 20-Track Practice 4:00-5:30
- March 21-Track Practice 4:00-5:30
- March 22-Early Dismissal @ 11:30-Track Practice 4:00-5:30
- March 25-Track Meet @ LCHS Running Events Only 4:30
- March 27-Track Practice 4:00-5:30
- March 28-Track Practice 4:00-5:30
- March 29-Track Practice 4:00-5:30
- March 30-Track Practice @ LCHS 9:00-11:00