December 8, 2017
GRR - Best Instructional Practice...Period.
During the summer of 2014, I was fortunate to be in attendance for Doug Fisher and Nancy Frey's FIT Teaching Workshop where they provided their expertise on the GRR. Doug and Nancy both pointed out during this session that the feature of the GRR that has been the most beneficial to their school's outstanding increase in student achievement is the collaborative/productive group work and the student discussion component of the GRR; these phases are often left out of other instructional models.
GRR = BEST INSTRUCTIONAL PRACTICE - PERIOD.
Benefits of the Gradual Release of Responsibility
- Research-based strategies with proven results in student achievement, graduation rates, and improving school cultures
- Insurance that the Characteristics of Effective Instruction are present in daily instruction
- Insurance that students learn and practice 21st century skills and collaboration almost daily
- Instructional model to ensure daily formative assessment and guided instruction
- Instructional model to create and maintain positive student-to-student and teacher-to-student relationships
Bottom line: GRR is Best Practice
What Effective Educators Do Differently -
Effective Teachers :
Engage students in active learning
Create intellectually ambitious tasks
Use a variety of teaching strategies
Assess student learning continuously and adapt teaching to student needs
Create effective scaffolds and supports
Provide clear standards, constant feedback, and opportunities for revising work
Develop and effectively manage a collaborative classroom in which all students have membership
(the strategies of effective teachers from 25 years ago or more are still effective strategies today)
A Must Read Article!
What's Coming Up?
Monday 12/11 - No School = PD Day (See email for agenda); MS Wrestling @ Eddyville
12/13-12/15 - Musical Tryouts in Elementary
Thursday 12/14 - MS Wrestling @ Home - Middle School
Friday 12/15 - 5th Grade DARE Graduation - 2 pm
Down the Road...
Wednesday 12/20 - Student Movie Day @ Iowa Theater = 5th/6th - 9 a.m.; 7th/8th - 1:15 pm
Friday 12/22 - Winter Break