Brooks Crossing & Deans School Newsletter - 2/1/19
In spite of the serious cold snap, Brooks Crossing and Deans students are working as hard as ever and producing great work in all areas! As they usually do, teachers from various grade levels and specialty areas provide grade level updates at each of our public PTO Meetings. The following link will take you to the slide presentation shared at the January meeting:
A special thank you goes out to our School Resource Officer, Sgt. Tara Jairdullo, of the SBPD for sharing home and school safety tips with those in attendance. Please enjoy this edition of The Crossing, take note of the important dates listed, and start thinking spring!
K-2 Report Cards
On Wednesday, February 20, 2019, the first report card for elementary students in Grades K-2 will be made available to view online through the Genesis Parent Portal. Remember to access the Genesis Parent Portal through this link: https://parents.sbschools.org/ . An email will be sent when report cards are visible in Genesis.
Once in the Genesis Parent Portal choose “Grading,” then “Available Report Cards” to see the most current report card. It is from this screen that you may choose to print a PDF of your child’s report card for your records.
If your child has an Individualized Education Plan (IEP), you will also be able to access his/her Progress Report through the Genesis Parent Portal Summary Screen.
Questions related to your child’s report card should be directed to your child’s teacher. Questions about access to the Genesis System should be directed to the Genesis Help Desk at: http://tinyurl.com/genesishelpdesk
Important Dates and Events - February 2019
Mon. Feb. 4 - Board of Education Meeting, Crossroads North, 7:00pm
Thurs. Feb. 7 - A Passport to the World - Cultural Heritage Event. Brooks Crossing Main Campus Cafetorium, 6:30-8:00pm
Fri. Feb. 15 - Box Top Contest ends today. Send in your Box Tops for a chance to win a munchkin party for your class!
Mon. Feb. 18 - Schools Closed - Presidents' Day
Tues. Feb. 19 - Board of Education Meeting, Crossroads North, 7:00pm
Wed. Feb. 20 - Kindergarten Registration for incoming K's for 2019-2020. (Snow Date is 2/27.)
- Report cards for Grades K-2 will be posted to the Genesis Parent Portal.
Fri. Feb. 22 - Bring the Sunshine School Spirit Day! Wear Yellow or Bright Colors to show your BC/DE School Spirit!
Tues. Feb. 26 - SB Parent Academy Workshop, Embracing Your Child's Uniqueness: Turning Obstacles into Opportunities. Crossroads North, 7:00pm
***************** Plan ahead now for Early Release Days added in March ******************
TUES. MARCH 19 - NOW AN EARLY RELEASE DAY. (DE dismisses 12:45/BC dismisses 12:50)
TUES. MARCH 26 - NOW AN EARLY RELEASE DAY. (DE dismisses 12:45/BC dismisses 12:50)
Updates to the District Calendar for Spring Parent/Teacher Conferences
Save the dates! We will now have two Early Release Days in March, so please mark your calendars! More information regarding Spring Conferences will be coming in the next few weeks.
DE will dismiss at 12:45pm and BC will dismiss at 12:50pm on:
Tuesday, MARCH 19th now an EARLY RELEASE DAY
Tuesday, MARCH 26th now an EARLY RELEASE DAY
Kindergarten Registration for K's for the 2019-2020 School Year
Kindergarten Registration for the 2019 - 2020 school year will be conducted on Wednesday, February 20, 2019. All South Brunswick children attaining age 5 by October 31, 2019 are eligible.
For information and forms available to complete go to:
Brooks Crossing MAIN CAMPUS - Wednesday, February 20th (Snow date will be 2/27)
50 Deans Rhode Hall Road
9:00am-11:00am AND 5:00pm-7:30pm
New this Year - ONLINE Kindergarten Registration
Please use the following link to register online using our new Open Registration process for the 2019-2020 Kindergarten enrollment.
Please note that you still are required to come on the day of registration with all of your required residency documentation.
Kindergarten Open Registration
Helpful tips to save time and to ensure your child's registration is complete:
- Please read over 2019-2020 Kindergarten Registration Information to understand everything that is required so you come prepared.
- Use the Kindergarten Open Registration to begin the registration process or print and complete all forms that are available online and bring them with you to registration.
- No appointment is necessary. Arrive 30 minutes prior to the end of a session to allow enough time to register, as there will be additional forms to complete at registration that cannot be found online.
- Only one parent needs to attend. It is not necessary for children to attend registration.
- Bring ALL required documentation with you to registration. See Required Registration Documents in 2019-2020 Kindergarten Registration Information for a full listing of what is required.
Some of the documents that must be presented at time of registration include:
- ORIGINAL current signed deed or lease,
- ORIGINAL current PSE&G bill AND one other form of identification with a South Brunswick address (e.g. current driver's license, pay stub, etc.),
- most recent immunization information, and
- most recent physical examination.
(IMPORTANT NOTE: All documentation, immunization records, physical forms, birth certificates, etc. must be in English. If necessary, have items translated prior to attending registration.)
- Registration will be considered incomplete if any documentation is missing. Students who have complete registrations will be invited to attend our Kindergarten Orientation Program that will be held in late May.
- Special Note: If you are 1) a family living with a South Brunswick resident, or 2) a family enrolling on an affidavit status, you must contact Patricia Gable at 732-297-7800 ext. 3107 in the Office of Assessment and Instructional Support to schedule an appointment. Refer to Resident Provisions in the 2019-2020 Kindergarten Registration Information for specific details.
Passport to the World - Cultural Celebration Thursday, February 7th
Help us celebrate cultural diversity at BC/DE on Thursday, February 7th 6:30-8:00PM in the Brooks Crossing Main Campus Cafetorium.
Please join us for this very popular family-friendly evening, to celebrate the history and culture of our wonderful diverse community! Many of our BC/DE families and staff will come together to share delicious foods, information and artifacts from all different cultures!
Please bring one non-perishable food item or personal care item to be donated to the South Brunswick Food Pantry.
Upcoming South Brunswick Parent Academy (SBPA) Program
The parent academy was founded on the concept of “Solving the Puzzle of Parenting… One Piece at a Time.” In its 13th year, SBPA continues to offer parenting workshops, as well as District workshops on curriculum, instruction and safe and caring schools. Please mark your calendar for the next session...
Embracing Your Child's Uniqueness: Turning Obstacles into Opportunities
Tuesday, February 26th, Crossroads North Middle School, 7:00pm
Parenting isn’t easy! This can be especially true when parenting a child who faces certain challenges, whether physical, developmental, emotional or social. This workshop will focus on not only accepting each child for who they are, but celebrating their individuality and uniqueness. Together parents and educators will share strategies for success, resources for support and suggestions for next steps with their education.
Dress Daily Prepared for Outside Recess
Important Message from the Health Center
Now that flu and cold season is here, it is more important than ever to follow practical guidelines before sending a child to school. We understand the inconvenience keeping home a sick child may cause with busy work schedules and family responsibilities, but following these guidelines will help prevent the spread of germs, that may cause students and staff more lost days due to illness, or children relapsing.
Anytime throughout the school year that children exhibit signs or symptoms of illness such as; unusually tired, pale, lack of appetite, nausea or stomachache, they should be monitored before sending to school. This may include contacting your medical provider for advice.
Please keep your child home and call the main office to report your child's absence if your child is experiencing any of the following conditions:
- Fever of 100.4°F or higher. Students must be fever free for 24 hours, without the use of fever reducing medications, before returning to school.
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea in the last 24 hours.
- Thick mucus or crusty drainage from the eye or pink coloring on the whites of the eye. A medical evaluation may be necessary to rule out "pink-eye".
- Has been exposed to a contagious disease and is exhibiting noticeable symptoms.
- Tested positive for strep throat, but has not been on antibiotics for at least 24 hours.
- All students diagnosed with head lice should be seen by the school nurse before returning to the classroom. Call the health center for details.
Message from the PTO - Upcoming Events
Stay informed and read the Brooks Crossing/Deans Online Friday Folder weekly for upcoming PTO events! Go to https://bcde.sbschools.org/school_information/friday_folders. We will include information on our upcoming PTO Carnival, Scholastic Book Fair, and the Pajama Party & Storytime with our BC/DE teachers and staff!
Our Box Tops for Education Contest ends on Friday, February 15th. Please send in your Box Tops today! This program raises funds for our school and the classroom with the most Box Tops will win a munchkin party!
PTO memberships are always becoming accepted and members receive discounts for many of our PTO family events held throughout the school year! If you would like more information on becoming a member or to volunteer, please email: BrooksCrossingPTO@gmail.com.