By Chloe Stoller and Lauren Dambacher
What is Geothermal Energy?
Geothermal energy is the heat produced from magma. Heat is constantly produced here mainly from radioactive decay.
- It's not susceptible to price fluctuation like crude oil is.
- Cuts energy costs
- Causes very little pollution
- Would reduce dependence on foreign oil
- Energy supply won't be depleted
- Costs to build energy generation plant are extremely high
- In order to access most of the energy, the crust has to be drilled for extreme distances.
- Can't be transported to generation sites like fossil fuels
- Maintenance of power plants can be extremely hazardous to people and machinery due to the temperature of the water flowing through the pipes
- Limited to the edges of tectonic plates