Lion's Mane (Parent Edition)
Your home for MHS news & events. Volume 19
Post SuperBowl Letdown
Just like the post SuperBowl letdown is real for many adults, this academic season is a hard stretch for students. It may seem to your student that Spring Break may never get here. Please encourage your student to stay engaged with learning. For our Seniors, help them to resist the urge to coast into graduation. Our Juniors have the most to gain or lose, due to class rank and sorting through college/career options. Likewise, our Sophomores are gearing up for increased academic expectations. Finally, our Freshmen are starting to understand and navigate high school with more confidence. All are faced with different challenges and each one needs all of the encouragement he/she can get!
Did you Know?
McKinney High School's own Tommy Crutcher played linebacker in Super Bowl I & II for the Green Bay Packers. MHS was recently recognized by the NFL as part of the National Football League's High School Honor Roll because of Tommy Crutcher's participation in the Super Bowl. Please stop by the display case to see the 50th Super Bowl Anniversary Football.
The McKinney High School
- 2/8 FAFSA Workshop Hosted by MEF Boyd Library @ 6:30
- 2/9 Girls Basketball vs. Lovejoy @ 6:15 (Away)
- 2/9 Boys Basketball vs. Lovejoy @ 7:30 (Away)
- 2/9 Boys Golf vs. North @ 8:00am (Away)
- 2/9 Baseball vs. Frisco @ 4:00 (Away)
- 2/9 Softball vs. Plano East @ 4:30 (Away)
- 2/9 Girls Soccer vs. Wylie East @ 7:30 (Away)
- 2/9 Boys Soccer vs. Wylie East/Frisco Liberty @ 7:30 (Home)
- 2/9 MHS Band Ensemble Concert @ 7:00 Auditorium
- 2/10 NHS Meeting 7:00am & 2:45pm Downstairs Flex
- 2/10 Key Club @ 2:30 Downstairs Flex
- 2/10 Track & Field Centennial/Lone Star Practice Meet @ 4:00 (Away)
- 2/11 Powerlifting Frisco Independence Meet @ 4:30 (Away)
- 2/12 Boys Basketball vs. Wylie @ 7:30 (Home)
- 2/12 Tennis McKinney Varsity Tournament @ 8:00 am (Home)
- 2/12 Girls Golf vs. Rockwall @ 8:00 am (Away)
- 2/12 Wrestling Region 3-5A @ 9:00 am (Away)
- 2/12 Marquette Mini Camp 4:00 - 10:00
- 2/12 MEF Scholarship Deadline @ 4:00
- 2/12 Girls Soccer vs. Prosper/Marcus @ 7:30 (Home)
- 2/12 Boys Soccer vs. Prosper @ 7:30 (Away)
- 2/13 Girls Golf vs. Rockwall @ 8:00am (Away)
- 2/13 Baseball vs. Richardson Pearce @ 11:00 (Home)
- 2/13 Softball Corsicana 4 Team Round Robin @ 11:00 (Away)
- 2/13 Wrestling Region 3-5A @ 9:00am (Away)
- 2/13 Tennis McKinney Varsity Tournament @ 8:00am (Home)
MORP tickets are on sale again this week. Tickets are $50. Parents, we are in need of chaperones to assist us with making MORP a safe and exciting event for our students. Please visit the sign-up link below if you are interested in chaperoning, or contact Ms. Amanda Gorman, our student council sponsor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lost and Found
Interdisciplinary Study and Mentorship (ISM) informational meeting
ISM is a course offered to all MISD 11th and 12th graders. In this course, students conduct in-depth research over a chosen career field and spend second semester mentoring with a professional in that field. Hard-working, high-achieving students who are intrinsically motivated and work well independently thrive in this class. For more information, please attend the informational meeting at McKinney North High School.
McKinney North High School Auditorium
Financial Aid Workshops
Senior Parents, MEF is hosting 3 FAFSA workshops this semester for parents needing help starting and completing their student’s FAFSA. Please bring all required documents to the workshop. Advisors will be on hand to answer any questions you may have. You can attend any of the workshops regardless of where your Senior attends.
The traditions committee is now accepting applications for their MEF scholarship. The committee will offer one $2,000 scholarship and two $1,500 scholarships. Visit the MHS website to apply.
Does your student want to make the news
Applications for MHS1, Manestream News and the Lion Yearbook are now available at Manestreamnews.com/apply.
Do you know any Seniors?
MISD Senior Adult 55 + Tour
March 2, 2016 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Lunch is provided
For details and more information
An easy way to support MHS
United Supermarkets, parent company of Market Street, Albertsons and others has recently implemented a contest to give back to communities. The Shop to Support Schools contest will run through October 8, 2016. During that time any guest that shops in a United Supermarkets, Market Street, Amigos or Albertsons will be given the opportunity to link their Rewards account to McKinney High School. For more information, visit http://www.shoptosupportschools.com/.
Safety and Security
- Parents, as a reminder, please be prepared to show your ID when entering the building (even for those we recognize).
- We will only release your child to who is listed in eSchool & Hall Pass, this includes having lunch with your child.
McKinney Education Foundation Information (MEF)
The MEF Scholarship will open on January 5th. The application is open to all MISD Seniors and can be found on MEF’s website (www.mmeeff.com). The deadline to have all materials turned in is February 12th at 4:00pm. It is highly recommended that ALL seniors apply for to this scholarship. If you or your student have any questions, please sign up for an appointment with Ms. Ribble here: http://goo.gl/forms/0nSkd2mvbP.
Cheerleading and Mascot Information
Friday, 2/19 @ 5:00 p.m. Online forms are due
Monday, 2/29 @ 3:00 p.m-5:00 p.m.--JV and Varsity clinic
@ 5:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m.--Freshmen clinic
Tuesday 3/1 @ 3:00 p.m-5:00 p.m.--JV and Varsity clinic
@ 5:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m.--Freshmen clinic
Wednesday 3/2 Final evaluations @ 3:00 p.m.- 9:00 p.m.
Friday 3/4 Tryout results posted after 4:00 p.m.
Monday, March 21st - Wednesday, March 23rd 4:30-6:30
Dance Clinics will be held at MHS in the gym. Candidates will learn a dance routine, kick routine and complete flexibility training during these clinics.
Thursday, March 24th
4:30 pm – 8:00 pm
Auditions will be held at the campus that you are auditioning for in the gym.
Results will be posted on the team website after the conclusion of team tryouts.
McKinney HS students doing great things
Garrett Jackson and Ross Hoppe are going to Nationals as the MISD Hockey team captured the state title in Farmers Branch. Way to represent MHS!
How to stay connected
- Lion's Mane (Parent Edition) every Monday
- MHS Facebook page
- MHS Twitter page
- Remind 101 (text @themck to 81010)
- MHS Webpage (although this is not updated as quickly as other methods)
- Phone Callouts
If for some reason you are not receiving MHS information in your preferred medium, please email me at email@example.com. I want you to be informed in a timely manner about all things MHS.