5 facts of the country.
- Almost half of the people in Congo are younger than 15.
- Soukous is Congo’s favorite style of music. Congolese love to dance and listen to the fast beat played by guitar bands. Although originally from Congo, soukous is now popular throughout Africa and even in North America and Europe.
- Although the nation’s official name is the Democratic Republic of the Congo, several other names are also used: Congo-Kinshasa, Congo-Zaire, D.R. Congo, or just Congo. This can be confusing because there is another country called Congo next to it: Republic of the Congo, or Congo-Brazzaville
- Congo covers an area roughly the size of the United States east of the Mississippi River.
- A popular Congolese musical instrument is the likembe. It is a board with thin metal strips plucked with the thumbs. It is sometimes called a “thumb piano.”