NewsFlash - Jan. 12
Town of Sunnyvale Weekly Update
Town Offices Closed for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
Get Ready for Frigid Temperatures
Weather forecasters are calling for severe cold during the holiday weekend.
Due to the freezing temps forecast over the next several days, the town will close our restrooms at Town Center Park beginning Saturday, Jan. 13 around 4 p.m. and reopen on Tuesday, Jan. 16.
Monitor the Town's website and social media pages for additional tips and any weather-related service updates.
Remember to check on vulnerable friends and neighbors and to protect your pets and pipes! If you do experience frozen pipes or other issues requiring water cutoffs, please call the Town of Sunnyvale’s Public Works emergency number at 972-251-0567. If you have other utility issues, please contact your utility provider. For medical or safety emergencies, dial 9-1-1.
For more information about winter weather safety, check out this information from the Centers for Disease Control: https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/features/winterweather/index.html
Road Construction - What To Expect Next Week
Project updates for the Week of Jan. 15:
Work is underway on $16.4 million worth of road improvement projects recently approved by the Sunnyvale Town Council.
Phase 2B and 2C include the repair and overlay of the following sections of asphalt roadway (dates are subject to change). This week's activity is scheduled to include:
- Town East Boulevard from Polly to Collins - Traffic is open in both directions. Construction is largely completed except for striping and some minor paving involving the Town East/Polly intersection that will be completed later in January when weather permits.
- Tower Place (Town East to the Library) - Construction was scheduled to begin Tuesday, 1/9; however, this project is being delayed due to colder than average temperatures expected to last through the end of the week of January 15th. Once construction does start, access to/from the library will be maintained. The parking lot will also be repaved, so library patrons will need to park in the Vineyard Park Parking Lot during construction.
- North Paschall from Tripp to US 80 Frontage Road - Construction is underway on the southbound lane as the northbound lane is reopened to traffic. All work on North Paschall is expected to be completed within the first half of January, weather permitting.
- South Paschall from US 80 Frontage Road to Long Creek - Paving is completed. All that remains is the final striping that is expected to be completed in mid January.
- Long Creek from Larkin to US 80 - Construction began Jan. 2 on the northbound/eastbound lane. Once that lane is completed, it will reopen and the southbound/westbound lane will start. The entire project is expected to be completed by the end of January, weather permitting.
The latest updates and a preview of upcoming activities are available at TownofSunnyvale.org/RoadProjects. Construction schedules can change with short notice. We appreciate your patience.
Notice of Deadline to File an Application to Appear on the May 4 Ballot
In early 2024, the Town of Sunnyvale will call a General Election to be held on May 4, 2024 for the purpose of electing two Town Council Members, designated as Places 5 and 6. Council Member terms are for a period of three years. All incumbents – Larry Allen, Place 5; and Jonathan Freeman, Place 6 - are eligible to run for re-election.
An informational candidate packet for those who may be interested in learning more about running for Sunnyvale Town Council can be found on the Town Secretary's web page or picked up at Town Hall (127 N. Collins Rd., Town Secretary’s Office) when the filing period begins. The period for submitting an application for a place on the May 4, 2024 ballot runs from Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2024 at 8 a.m. through Friday, Feb. 16, 2024 at 5 p.m.
For more information, visit the Town Secretary's web page.
If you're ready to add a furry friend to your family, visit us during our monthly pet adoption event at the Mesquite PetSmart, noon to 3 p.m. this Saturday, Jan. 13.
Let's resolve to find happy homes for all our shelter pets in this new year. Help us spread the word about this event! Call (214) 862-4525 or visit Petfinder page to learn about available pets.
Keep sharing with your friends and networks and let's resolve to find forever homes for Sunnyvale's shelter pets!
Kodak Needs a Special Foster Home!
The Sunnyvale Animal Shelter urgently needs a foster home for one of the dogs in our care.
Kodak is a one-year-old German Shepherd. He came to us about six weeks ago with an injured tail, which eventually had to be amputated. Kodak has severe anxiety issues and needs lots of care and attention. He is a great, loving dog. He's just very needy right now.
We're searching for someone who can foster him until a forever home can be found. The Town will be responsible for Kodak's healthcare and food while in foster care. He can be adopted for FREE, and his new owner will be responsible for his continued health and recovery.
If you can assist, please contact the Sunnyvale Animal Shelter at (214) 862-4525.