Welcome to 2020.......
- Grades 3-8 can have one of 4 types of field test passages: Reading, Paired Reading, Revising, or Editing.
- Grades 3-8 can have field test questions on TEKS not included in the assessed curriculum, such as short answer response, research, etc.
- During 2020, grades 3-8, only overlap reading SEs from 2017/2009 TEKS will be scored (see Reading Assessed Curriculum below).
- Writing assessed curriculum remains unchanged in 2020 for grades 4 & 7 and will be scored.
- Even though K-8 is implementing new TEKS, test scores will count toward accountability.
HB 3 Reading Academies
Per House Bill 3 (HB 3), passed by the 86th Texas Legislature in June of 2019, all kindergarten through third grade teachers and principals must attend a teacher literacy achievement academy by the 2021-2022 school year. For simplification and to avoid confusion with other grant programs and past literacy achievement academies, the Texas Education Agency is referring to this latest requirement as the HB 3 Reading Academies. (Texas Education Agency, 2019.) Region 7 will provide more information about the HB 3 Reading Academies in the upcoming months.
Please visit the TEA Reading Practices webpage for additional information.
Upcoming Sessions for Spring 2020
- January 29 - Walk in My Shoes
- February 5 - Fluently Speaking
- February 4 - ELAR Hot Topics Webinar: TEA Updates / Strand 2 and 3 of TEKS
- February 19 - ELAR Strand 5-Author's Purpose and Craft
- February 27 - ELAR Strand 6-Composition
- March 3 - ELAR Hot Topics Webinar: TEA Updates / Strand 5 and 6 of TEKS
- March 18 - Advancing Phonics Through Morphology
- March 26 - The Art of Conferring
- April 7 - ELAR Hot Topics Webinar: TEA Updates
- April 9 - ELAR Strand 1-Foundational Language Skills
- May 5 - ELAR Hot Topics Webinar: TEA Updates / Looking Ahead