Boone Meadow Community Update
Thursday - March 26, 2020
Good Morning, Boone Meadow Community -
I hope everyone was able to get out and enjoy the beautiful weather yesterday. What a gift it was to have the opportunity to enjoy the warm spring sunshine.
Tomorrow is the first day of spring break, and I plan to connect with you near our return to school on Wednesday, April 8th. (Teachers will report to work on April 6th) At that time, I plan to reduce the number of updates to one or two per week.
- Today's E-Day-Today's lessons come from our Academic Services team where the content will be centered on our Strong in Every Way initiative.
- Student Progress Reports (Report Cards) - Simple reminder that progress reports for quarter 3 are now available for families to view in PowerSchool. More information located below.
- Spirit Week - Today is our last day of spirit week, so grab your favorite hat, shirt, or other appropriate item from a vacation that evokes memories and stories. Share a photo on our Padlet page: https://padlet.com/thundley1/Bookmarks
- Kindergarten Pre-Registration for the 20-21 school year - We are re-launching our Kindergarten pre-registration for families. I have included more information below.
- E-Days following spring break - Upon our return and while we are implementing E-Learning, we will transition to a 4-day school week for students. Throughout ZCS, students will engage in learning experiences and opportunities Monday through Thursday, and teachers will work on Fridays to refine instructional design for the next school week. We will narrow our focus to learning priorities primarily focusing on literacy and math development. In addition, we will also provide opportunities for students to enrich and round out learning opportunities. We understand that access, support, and resources vary among families, and we are intentionally responding to those varied needs and supports. More info to come.
Be well my friends, and we'll talk soon,
Morning Minute Message - Last Day Before Spring Break
Spirit Week - March 23rd-26th
Monday- Mis-Match &/or Mustache Day- Mix up the clothing, and maybe even wear a mustache. We can't wait to see what you create.
Tuesday- Team Wear Tuesday- Wear your favorite sports team jerseys/tops or ZCS/BME gear.
Wednesday- Everyone's favorite! PJ day! Stay in your PJs-don't get dressed (wait...did you do that all last week?)
Thursday- Vacation Wear Day- Hey, we're going on Spring Break! Do you have a favorite hat from vacation? Favorite t-shirt? Wear one, wear them both! Maybe you have a jacket or a towel- you make the call.
Post pictures and captions for any and all spirit days here: https://padlet.com/thundley1/Bookmarks
Kindergarten Pre-Registration for the 20-21 school year -
- If you already pre-registered for Kindergarten Round Up, you need to do nothing at this time.
- We are currently accepting kindergarten registrations for families/students that have not yet registered. Please click on the link below to begin the registration process.
- When we are able to return to school, our team will schedule a special time for you and your child to come to our school and learn about kindergarten. This Kindy experience will most likely occur this summer.
- If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at email@example.com
ZCS Kindergarten pre-registration link: http://secure.infosnap.com/family/gosnap.aspx?action=22262&culture=en
Quarter 3 Report Cards
- To access your child’s report card, simply login to PowerSchool (using your parent login or your child’s login) and click on the Report Card link located in the left-hand menu.
- If you have forgotten how to login to PowerSchool, your child can most likely assist assist you (student login information - same information as Canvas)
- All future report cards will continue to be stored in this location, so you will always be able to access/view your child’s report cards in one place.
Resources for Helping Children
Attached are some resources that you may find helpful as you navigate these times with your children. The visual support attached is called HALT, which is an acronym to encourage us to practice self-care.
Common Sense Media
What’s Up with this Coronavirus? Comic for Kids
Mind Yeti Videos
Mind Yeti provides a great way for everyone to practice mindfulness. At the following link are over 15 videos of mindfulness sessions that help kids and families calm their minds, check in with their bodies, and notice their surroundings.
Sesame Street Little Children, Big Challenges
Young children face new challenges at every age and stage. That’s why it’s so important to help them build the skills they need to become resilient. With self-confidence and the ability to express themselves, little ones will be able to handle whatever may come their way and will just keep getting stronger.
How to Talk to your Kids About Coronavirus
This is an article written by PBS Kids about how to talk to children about coronavirus. You will find tips for handwashing, covering coughs, and practicing healthy habits.
Support for Helpers during Coronavirus
Resources from the Fred Rogers Center in addition to partner organizations for those of you looking for ways to create learning opportunities and structure for children.
Resources for Families Practicing Self-Care:
CNET Everything you need to know…
Resources for working, cooking, and coping while practicing social distancing.
The National Child Traumatic Stress Network Parent Guide
Support in understanding and coping during this time. The guide provide information on children’s developmental/age reactions and how to help.
Confidential Food Assistance from ZCS
Please use this link to set up a pick-up time for a food package from ZCS Food Service.
Assistance from the Boys and Girls Club
The Boys and Girls Club will also be offering a take out evening meal at the Lebanon Unit, 403 West Main Street. The offering is available to Club members and any community member in need during these difficult times.
Meals will be available Monday through Friday beginning March 16 - March 27 from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. with a limit of eight carry-out meals per family. We are initially preparing meals for at least 100 people each day and will make adjustments as needed.
Zionsville Food Pantry
4775 W. 116th St, Zionsville
Phone 317-873-8137, ext. 1087
Hours of Operation on Thursdays from 5-6 pm and Fridays from 12-2 pm
The Caring Center
1230 Ransdell Ct.
Hours of Operation on Mondays & Wednesdays from 8 am - 2 pm
Hours of Operation on Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays from 11 am - 5 pm
(Closed on 3rd Tuesday and 4th Thursday of each month.)