Garfield Re-2 News You Can Use
SPECIAL EDITION 2-2-2019
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FROM SALARY TASK FORCE
Just a reminder - if you have questions about your new salary, here are some tools on how to get more information.
I've logged in to the Employee Service Portal but I have questions. ..or concerns. . . what should I do?
If you have a general salary question please submit your question using link below. This Google Doc will submit your question directly to Human Resources.
A general question may be,"I don't understand why I was placed on the level that I am on," or "I'm not sure my years of service were calculated correctly."
For larger salary concerns, such as, "I don't believe my salary is comparable with surrounding districts," the Collaborative Solutions Salary Task Force wants to hear your concerns.
The CS Salary Task Force invites anyone to attend the first 30 minutes of their meetings to share your concerns about the new salary schedule. You can attend any of the meeting dates listed below. All meetings are at RIFLE MIDDLE SCHOOL and all begin at 4:45 p.m.
The guidelines for sharing your concerns:
- Bring concerns to the task force with as much detail as possible and sign and date the information or letter;
- You will have 3 minutes to share the concern;
- Concerns will be shared privately with just the salary task force;
- The salary task force will only be collecting information about your concern/situation at that time;
If you can not make the salary task force meetings or do not feel comfortable attending the meeting, you may provide the requested information above to your building/department CS representative or submit it through the TalentEd platform. You do not need to re-submit concerns if you have submitted them through the other means.
Again, you will have 3 minutes to speak privately with the Salary Committee. No decision will be made at that time and you will be notified regarding next steps by Human Resources.
Salary Task Force Dates - all meetings at Rifle Middle School and begin at 4:45 p.m.
Need a place to watch the BIG GAME?
Questions from our readers: News from the world of English Language Development
We recently received a question from a Garfield Re-2 Staff member about what supports the District has for our English Language Development students and those that teach them. Below is some information provided by Director of Curriculum and Assessment Julie Knowles.
Much has happened in the ELD world this school year, and we’re excited to share with you
some of what has been going on:
- Each school has a staff member who supports English Learners, and those ELD teachers receive professional development from Beth Skelton on a variety of topics each month.
- The ELD Steering Committee has met several times this year and has provided input into the use of our federal Title III grant money, which is intended for students learning to speak English. The Steering Committee has also provided input into the hiring process for a district-wide ELD coach.
- The district-wide ELD coach is a new position that is a result of the ELD Design Team’s work last year. It is funded out of the federal Title III grant money and is new for the 2019-2020 school year. The coach will provide professional development for ELD teachers and general education teachers. This person will also help administrators at the district and school level create services for students who are learning to speak English.
- The district is currently assessing all of our English Learners on the ACCESS, which is the annual assessment of English proficiency.
If you have any questions about services for English Learners in your school, please reach out to your ELD teacher or your principal. The district ELD teachers are:
o CVE: Jenny Zetah
o CRHS: Bobbi Jo Wiescamp
o ECE: Sarah Clayton and Silvana Hayden
o GME: Lorena Trejo
o HES: CeCi Otero and Jade Bomba
o KSE: Julie Martinez
o RHS: Leslie Hammond
o RIV: Trent Bakich
o RMS: Lisa Mancuso
o WES: Cheryl Carpenter
If you have questions about anything that appears in the regular staff newsletter, or about programs or concepts that are District related, please use the feedback form at the bottom of the page, and we will try to get an answer.