Enfield Head Start, Integrated Pre-K, PK STEAM Academy
February 3, 2023
Greeting SELC PK Families,
Welcome to February! We have quite a bit going on with weather, Groundhog's Day, and a few no school days around President's day. February is also Black History month and while we represent and honor diverse cultures throughout the year in many ways, this month, we will celebrate African Americans who have impacted us throughout history. See below to learn more about Aaron Douglas, one of the most accomplished and influential visual artists of the Harlem Renaissance. Next week, many Eaglets will be learning about his style of painting using silhouettes!
Can you believe Monday is the 100th day of school? Time flies when you are having fun! Speaking of fun, the FEO Science Center Night was SO fun! It was incredible to see so many smiling faces exploring Forces in Motion in the gym AT SELC. For those of you who were not able to make it, we will have another event in the Spring.
Since the 100th day is a BIG DEAL in Kindergarten so we will not celebrate in as big of a way here in PK, but we will do something at the classroom level. So to answer the question, you DO NOT HAVE TO SEND IN ANYTHING for the 100th day in PK.
Again, thank you for sharing your SELC experience with family and friends who have PK age kiddos! They can apply at www.enfieldschools.org by clicking on the red tile that says Stowe Early Learning Center Applications. See link below!
TO CLARIFY: IF YOUR CHILD ATTENDS HEAD START OR INTEGRATED AND THEY WILL BE WITH US AGAIN NEXT YEAR DUE TO THEIR AGE, YOU DO NOT NEED TO RE-APPLY!!! ADDITIONALLY, IF YOUR CHILD IS GOING TO KINDERGARTEN YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REGISTER THEM AS THEY ARE ALREADY ENROLLED IN EPS!
A FEW REMINDERS:
- No school for Eaglets on February 17th, 20th, or 21st
- Parking lot safety is still a top priority. Winter weather could arrive at any time, making it even more urgent for everyone to SLOW DOWN AND PARK IN A SPACE.
- Remember to dress your child in layers, as it is easier to remove clothing if they are warm at school.
- Please send your Eaglet with mittens/hats and a warm winter jacket as we try to get outside even if it is for a walk around the building.
Who was Aaron Douglas?
Attendance in PK and beyond
See the link below for more information regarding attendance.
Tis the season where many SELC families start thinking about the transition to Kindergarten!
Menu Week of 2/6/2023
Nutrition Nuggets from Nurse Jen
SAVE THE DATE!!!
SMILE! SPOTLIGHT ON ORAL HEALTH FROM NURSE JEN!
Community Resource Guide for Young Families-WINTER VERSION
Consumer Product Safety Commission Recalls 2-3-23
Getting to Know Stowe! (I will keep this posted for a few weeks so you have it at your fingertips!)
Joining a new school community can sometimes feel like learning a new language as you acclimate to the procedures, environment, people, and lingo. See below to begin learning about all things Stowe:
- SELC=Stowe Early Learning Center
- SELC=our mascot (the eaglet featured above)
- FEO=Family Educator Organization
- ECDC=Enfield Child Development Center
- EPS=Enfield Public Schools
- FRC=Family Resource Center
- IPS=Integrated Pre-K
- HS=Head Start
- KITE=Key Initiatives to Early Education
- PKS=PK STEAM Academy
- Eaglets=all children taking part in any program at SELC
- Main Office=860-253-4741
- Head Start Family Support=860-253-4717
Our building is quite unique in that we house 4 PK programs, a Family Resource Center, and KITE.