The Towler Times
October 2nd, 2015
Our Week of Learning...
- In reading, we are beginning our first novel study. The class is reading Sarah, Plain and Tall. This story fits in nicely with our study of pioneers and that time period. With this novel, we will be working on questioning, character traits, setting, recounting stories, and theme. We have also been using our one to one devices during reading centers. Ask your learner what programs he/she has been using during centers.
- In math, we are learning how smaller multiplication problems can help us solve larger, more difficult problems. We are also beginning to work on multiplication fluency. We have begun with the two's. The students are doing a nice job understanding that anything multiplied by 2 can be solved with the related doubles addition fact.
- In writing, we are working on our final copy of our Geneva writing! Next, in preparation for our upcoming field trip, we will be researching pioneers and working on a writing project to show what we learn.
Today we used an app called Educreations to show a little higher level thinking during math! The students LOVE this app!
Williamsburg Planting Day!
Even though it rained on us, we were very lucky to be able to participate in adding some beauty to our learning community! It was cold and wet... but the students were good sports! We are looking forward to seeing our Prairie Garden bloom and grow!! Thank you to the parents who came out to volunteer!
Due to the amount of time spelling pages have been taking in the classroom, I have decided that spelling pages will be used as homework. This will allow us more time in the classroom for guided reading centers. The spelling pages will come home on Monday. They will be due on Thursday. Please check your student's work and have them make necessary corrections. This immediate feedback will help them learn the correct spelling and meaning of each word. Allowing them to build their vocabulary and knowledge of spelling patterns. Thank you for your help at home!
Because we will be using our computers almost daily, it will be helpful for each child to have a pair of headphones or earbuds to use with certain programs. I have approximately 6 pairs in the classroom that we have been sharing. However, it will be most efficient if each child has a set of earbuds in his/her desk. I believe 5 Below and the Target Dollar Bins have both carried small headphones and earbuds. If your child has a pair that they can bring in on Monday to leave in their desk, it would be most helpful. Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.
Weekly Student Newsletter...
Due to a showing of Good Morning Williamsburg this morning, the students were unable to write their weekly newsletter. Due to the half day and Grandparents' Day on October 9th, the student newsletters will resume on October 16th.
- October 6th: Pajama Day ~ A letter will be coming home on Monday.
- October 5th: Grandparents' Day homework due
- October 7th: Spirit Day ~ Cubs Rally Day ~ Wear Cubs gear to root on the Chicago Cubs as they play their Wild Card Game!
- October 9th: Grandparents' Day/Half Day
- October 9th: Book Orders due
- October 12th: No School
- October 23rd: Sholes School Field Trip ~ More information to come.
Star of the Week...Caitlin!!
Caitlin has an older brother. Her favorite subject is math. She loves pumpkin muffins, playing outside, soccer, American Girl dolls and gymnastics. She hopes to someday go to Disney World. Great job, Caitlin!!
Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.