Walls's Monkey Memo
November 17, 2014
Greetings Students and Families,
Here's a little shout out to all the parents that help out in our classroom and on field trips, thanks for sharing your time with us!!!
Tomorrow is Pajama Day! The school Orca Buck glass container at the office was overflowing on Friday. Our class counted 126 orca bucks earned last week!!! Keep up the good work.
Math focus: Math focus: Understand Division
Monday - Equal Sharing
Tuesday - Relate Division with Subtraction
Wednesday - Relate Division with Multiplication
Thursday - Inverse Operations
Friday - Quiz
Literacy focus: Target skill - Main Idea
The Very First Americans by Cara Ashrose.
Constructive Response with more teacher modeling.
Please remind your student to bring their independent reading book and pink reading log to school every day. New pink reading logs and books (for those who are finished) will be starting on Friday of this week.
Spelling focus: Unit # 7-11 Review - Practice, practice, practice! Please use words in a sentence when helping your child study their list.
*Remember to check your child's planner every night! This nightly routine helps form good habits and fosters responsibility.
**Next Wednesday is an EARLY RELEASE day at 1:45 p.m.
We have more books than ever thanks to your generous donations and the successful book fair. We now have 23,695 books in the library of all different genre—types. Your students are reading veraciously!
Students have taken ownership of their reading through the Lexile reading program in its second year! They read a book at their Lexile level and take a Scholastic Reading Counts (SRC) test to get feedback on their comprehension. Every student sets his or her own goal and works hard to attain the next reading level. This is reflected in the quarterly Scholastic Reading Inventory (SRI) test each student takes to measure their progress. This helps the students get accustomed to taking tests on the computer –they experience successful computer testing.
Your students are taking the Reading Counts tests on the books they have read. As a school the students have recorded 26,498,721 words read so far this year!
Thank you for all your support—your children make library fun and exciting.
Nov. 13th Meeting Notes
3. School Goals:
· To ensure test reliability, all students will engage in computer based educational activities that are formatted similar to AMP for a minimum of 60 min per week.
· WHE will improve the average daily attendance rate for the 2014-15 school year to 96%.
· WHE will implement PBIS Phase I in 2014-2015 and will establish baseline data for disruptive behavior in the school.
· All teachers will successfully record and report student progress utilizing a standards referenced report card.
· WHE will analyze common quarterly writing assessment information to determine strengths and weaknesses within our writing curriculum and to drive future instruction. Additionally, WHE will utilize this year's quarterly writing assessment results as baseline data to compare future years data against to measure growth.
· Principal’s Report:
a. Safety at school
i. Children supervised
ii. Be safe at bus stops and traveling around town
b. Archery great success
c. Bingo Friday night
d. After Christmas
i. Pop Warner Wrestling
5. Treasures Report
· Box Tops
· Thank you Bobbi and class for counting Box Tops
· Nearly 1/2 way to $1000 goal
· Veterans' Day Wall
· 160+ stars
· Great Stories
· Bingo Friday night
· $5 for a book of 5
· Highlighters as dobbers $1
o 4 Swim passes
o Timeless Toys
o Dunkin House
o Turkey - Blackout
o Silly bands - Wild Card
o Ice cream - 12 oz root beer floats
o Dish of ice cream
o Pizza 2-4
o Water bottle
o Receipt for winners
o Selling concessions
· Little Shopper's Shop
· Week of 8-12 set up in Art Room
· Sell at school 10 & 11
· Family and Friends night Dec 11 @ 4:30-6:00 PM
· New vendor
· Better/different items
· Unpack and pre inventory
· Preview day
· Indoor Yard Sale
· Date will be reevaluated
· PBE Movie nights Nov 14, Dec 12
· Next Meeting – January 8th at 6:30
2013-2014 Battle of the Books
Students in grades 3 and 4 are invited to join the Battle of the Books meeting at lunchtime in the ART room every Tuesday.
Please encourage your reader to come and check it out. Battlers will read 15 books from now until January and challenge other teams using their knowledge of the books to earn points.
Hope to see you then
Dates to Remember
Nov. 24 - Book Orders Due
* Please make checks payable to Scholastic (Do Not send cash)
Nov. 26 - Early Release Day 1:45 pm
Nov. 28-29 - Thanksgiving Holiday Break *No School
Dec. 09 - W.H.E. Christmas Concert at HHS 6:30 pm
Dec. 12 - 2nd Quarter Family Meal 11:30 - 12:30 in the art room
West Homer Elementary PTO
· Next Meeting – Jan. 08th at 6:30PM