What Parents Need to Know Vol. 2 Ed. 15
Raise Your Hand!
Good Afternoon Parents!
This 2020 continues to be one for the record books. We continue to experience things in this country and in the world that we have never seen before. These are strange times we are living in and that is why it is more important than ever to provide our students, this next generation, with the love, support, and skills that they will need to be successful and productive members of society.
This Wednesday is Veterans Day. It is a day that we should all take time to remember those who served our country and gave it all in order for us to enjoy the freedoms we have today. Unfortunately, Covid-19 and safety protocols prevent us from have a Veterans Day assembly this year, but we will not miss an opportunity to honor our veterans and teach our children about their importance. We will be having a virtual Veterans Day Program on Wednesday and the link to the video will be up on Youtube and our social media sites for all to view.
So if you are ready for an AWESOME week full of gratitude, growth, grit, and goal smashing...Raise Your Hand!
Please continue to read the rest of the newsletter below for more up to date information. I feel like an infomercial, but I must continue to add the phrase, "Subject to Change." Have a great week!
Travis A. Chapman
864-397-2800 ext. 2810
Week 4 of Positivity Project - BRAVERY
Each week at Dacusville Elementary we will be focusing on a different topic or character strength. This week we are focusing on BRAVERY. Can anyone think of a better example of bravery than the men and women in our military who are willing to put their lives on the line to protect the freedoms that we enjoy in this country? I certainly cannot. They accept the challenges in the face of danger. They are willing to sacrifice it all for others. They are selfless and courageous. These are all virtues we want to see in our students. Think of your own examples of bravery that you can share this week to connect with and encourage your children to be brave!
Here is the character strength card for this week: bravery
Here is the link for the Character Strength Calendar https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XIwG-06dkeRVVih77apSHSPYBy8cvqmR_IOKRkgZvYs/edit?usp=sharing
We are so excited to be beginning our 3rd year of the Positivity Project (P2) at Dacusville Elementary. P2 focuses on empowering America’s youth to build positive relationships by recognizing character strengths within themselves and others. To learn more about P2 you can read the following Parent Information Letter.
Finally, we are thrilled to announce the newest feature of the Positivity Project, P2 for Families! This web resource provides support for you to discuss the importance of character and relationships within your own family. Go to the follow website https://posproject.org/p2-for-families/ , click your child's grade band below, then the character strength you are interested in and when prompted enter the password: P2. Here you will find descriptions of the character strengths, videos and thoughtful questions to discuss with your child. We are so grateful to come along beside you and help to shape the wonderful people our students are becoming. Thank you for all you do to help your student succeed, and allowing us to be a part of it.
DES School Counselor
Quarter 1 Report Cards
Declaration of Intent - DUE BY NOV. 23rd at Noon!
Fall Picture Days!
*** PCVA Students:
ALL DES students who are enrolled in PCVA will have their pictures made on November 17th, which is also Make-Up Picture Day. Click here to see the PCVA and Make-Up Picture Schedule
November 23rd - 24th
Thanksgiving Break is Wednesday, November 25th - Friday, November 27th.
PCVA NEWS AND HIGHLIGHTS
Important News for PCVA Parents!
The links to the Sign-Up Genius are in the letter.
Pledge Videos Are Back!
#KeepLovingKason - Book Donations
Title 1 Important Information
Parent & Family Engagement Policy DRAFT: The purpose of this document is to describe how parental involvement requirements of the ESSA legislation will be carried out. This is meant to be jointly developed. Please give suggestions and feedback on the document by completing the “suggestions” survey in the link.
School-Parent Compact DRAFT: The purpose of this document is to clearly identify responsibilities of parents, staff and community members in student achievement. This is meant to be developed jointly. Please give suggestions and feedback on the document by completing the “suggestions: survey in the link.
Title 1 Newsletter: (3 pages) This newsletter includes important Title 1 details and information. You can keep this for your records.
DSO Board for 2020-2021
- President - Tammy Gregg
- Vice president - Mandy Bush Roach
- Secretary - Melissa Hazel
- Treasurer - Jill Landers
- Funds Development - Jade Burgess
- General Board Members - Luke Raxter & Mary Jones
FREE Meals for All Students
Remote Learning Weeks:
For information on how to get free meals during Remote Learning, click the link below.
For all the full information from SDPC regarding Bus Delivery Times by areas and much more please click the following link: Free Meals for Students .
Meals for Virtual Students
Virtual Academy Students:
MEALS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE MONDAY, OCTOBER 12TH. YOU MAY PICK UP TUESDAY OR WEDNESDAY OF THIS COMING WEEK!
Each week an order form is emailed out on Friday for meals to be picked up on Mondays between 9-1 for Pickens County Virtual Academy student meals. If you would like to order meals for your student, please click on the link to place your order.
We will provide 5 days of meals (5 breakfasts & 5 Lunches) to be picked up at the home school. If you need to pick up meals at a different location other than your home school, please include this on the order form. Meals will be charged according to the student’s meal status.
SDPC Tech Help Information
Other Internet Accessibility Options
For families who do not currently have home internet access, SDPC recommends the following options:
School Parking Lots
Students can access school Wi-Fi from all of our school parking lots.
Click here for directions on how to connect to school Wi-Fi. Gates to our parking lots will remain open so that students can park on our properties and access school Wi-Fi. Students will not be allowed to congregate outside their vehicles. Students seen meeting outside their vehicles will be asked to leave.
SDPC Wi-Fi Buses
Buses will be parked at the following locations on school days from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. during remote learning weeks except for Wednesday, September 9 and Tuesday, September 15:
- Flat Rock Baptist Church, 115 Slab Bridge Road, Liberty, SC 29657
- Georges Creek Baptist Church, 1991 Saluda Dam Rd, Easley, SC 29640
- Holly Springs Baptist Church, 3450 Table Rock Road, Pickens, SC 29671
- Shoals Creek Baptist Church, 130 Shoals Cree Church Road, Easley, SC 29640
- Mile Creek Baptist Church, 104 Lakeside Dr, Six Mile, SC 29682
Pickens County Public Library
The Pickens County Public Library system operates facilities throughout Pickens County and is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
SDPC Coordinator of Communication
Need Help with Schoology?
Please note that all students must pay the Tech It Home Fee. The fee is $20 and that is the cost for all students. It covers loss, theft, and damages. You can pay by cash, check, or online at MySchoolBucks.
More about Tech It Home can be found by clicking on the links below.
- Foaming hand sanitizer stations in each classroom.
- Sanitizing spray bottles have been purchased along with spray guns that can disinfect surfaces and larger areas like classrooms.
- Water fountains will be closed. The district has purchased hands-free water bottle refilling stations that we are currently awaiting on to arrive and then be installed.
- Posters and other window and floor signage indicating warning symptoms, traffic flow, and social distancing have been printed by the Career and Technology Center and will be installed this week.
- Masks have been purchased for all students in grades 3 -5 and for staff as well as face shields for staff desiring them.
- Digital Thermometers have been purchased (2 per school) to help with screening students and staff.
- Students in elementary school will be placed in cohorts, groups of students like a homeroom, that they will remain in for core academic classes, related arts, lunch and recess. Students will not change classes for academics and or related arts.
- Students will utilize class bathrooms if possible and will be asked to wash hands before and after entering the restroom.
- Gang bathrooms will be used for washing hands prior to and after transitions such as lunch and recess.
- Arrival and Dismissal procedures will be altered to allow for more social distancing. Buses will be operating at less than full capacity and elementary students will be separated out from middle and high school students.
More information can be found in the SDPC Reopening Plan.
Birthday Celebrations and Outside Food
In addition, we will not be able to allow visitors right now to attend lunch with their child for birthdays or any other lunch days due to limits/restrictions on outside visitors. Thank you for your understanding.
Afternoon Dismissal Procedures
- We dismiss 4K and 4K siblings first at 1:45
- Followed by K5-2nd
- Finally grades 3 - 5 at 2:00.
If you have multiple children use the time of the youngest child. Thanks again for your support!
Library Books, Chromebooks, and Charger Still Needed
PLEASE BE SURE TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION GATEWAY
Links are below for Back to School Update and New Student Registration. Several of you have asked about your child's username (student number) and password. You should have received an email last week with that information. It would have come from the School District of Pickens County or John Eby.
If you are new you will need to provide the following documents. Mrs. Waters will contact you after you complete Registration Gateway to set up a time to collect any missing documents.
- Birth Certificate
- Immunization Record
- 2 Proofs of Residence such as Power Bill, Water Bill, Gas Bill, or Current Cable Bill)
- Court or Custody Papers
- We WILL HAVE ASC during Week 3 for ONLY GRADES 4K - 2nd.
- ASC will be closed to all students during Week 4.
- Cost has basically increased $5 across the board to help with cleaning and operational cost.
- ASC will be held in the cafeteria and pick up will be in the bus loop, but only after 2:45 p.m.
BIG NEWS! DES is Title 1 for the 2020 - 2021 School Year!
The purpose of Title I, Part A of Public Law 107-110, is to enable schools to provide opportunities for children served to acquire the knowledge and skills contained in the challenging state content standards and to meet the challenging state performance standards developed for all children. This purpose is accomplished by such efforts as:
- providing an enriched and accelerated educational program;
- promoting schoolwide reform through schoolwide programs or through additional services that increase the amount and quality of instructional time;
- significantly upgrading the quality of instruction by providing staff in participating schools with substantial opportunities for professional development; and
- affording parents meaningful opportunities to participate in the education of their children at home and at school.
For more information on Title 1 please click the link below: