GHMS Dawg Bites
Volume 5, Issue 6 --- Week of September 18th
Excellence is our cornerstone, our tradition, the Bulldog way!
Week of September 18th - Upcoming
9/18 - 7th Grade VB v. BTMS - 5 P.M. (Home)
9/18 - 8th Grade VB v. BTMS - 6:15 P.M. (Home)
9/19 - 1st 9 week progress reports sent home
9/19 - Band Rental Night (4 P.M. - 6:30 P.M.) - firstname.lastname@example.org
9/20 - 7th Grade VB v. PKMS - 5 P.M. (Home)
9/20 - 8th Grade VB v. PKMS - 6:15 P.M. (Home)
9/20 - 7th Grade FB v. FMMS - 5 P.M. (Home)
9/20 - 8th Grade FB @ FMMS - 5 P.M. (Away)
Click on the GHMS Calendar button to access all upcoming events at GHMS for the 2017-2018 school year. This is a google calendar and events are always subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances. New dates are always being added!
Inclement Weather Make-up Day will be October 30th
Fort Mill School Board procedure requires the use of the next available inclement weather make-up day to be used for missed days. The October 30, 2017 inclement weather make-up day will be used to replace the day missed due to Hurricane Irma. Students should plan to attend school on October 30th.
Lost time due to inclement weather is lost instruction time for our students. The district values student instructional time and feels it is important to regain as much of that time as possible for our students.
SC State Law H.3890 requires that 3 statutory weather make-up days must be used before a school board is granted the right to waive up to 3 remaining weather make-up days.
Monday, September 11 was the first day missed due to inclement weather during the 2017–2018 school year and will need to be replaced with an inclement weather make-up day.
PSAT - October 11th - (8th Grade Students Only)
- 8th Grade Students are invited to take the PSAT on October 11, 2017.
- The PSAT is administered at GHMS during regular school hours.
- The cost is $16.00 if you are interested in having your child take this optional assessment.
- The $16.00 fee (can be paid on https://www.studentquickpay.com/fort-mill/ ) or by cash/check to GHMS.
- Fees are due by Thursday, September 21st. (Revised)***
- The results of this test will be sent to GHMS in January 2018.
- Student guides will be distributed prior to testing
- More information is available at https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-10
- Students who have a qualifying score will be named a SC Junior Scholar.
- District funding is available for students.
- Student guides will be distributed prior to testing.
- More info available at https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-10
Introducing the GHMS Disc Golf Club!
Come join Mr. DiMaria, Mr. Wesseling, and your peers to enjoy disc golf after school. The club will meet twice monthly on Tuesdays (weather permitting) from 3:30 P.M. to 4:45 P.M. starting September 26th.
The objective of this club is to learn the rules of disc golf, learn proper technique, and just to have some fun while spending time with your classmates.
See Mr. DiMaria (318) for more details about the club and a permission slip. You may also click on the information sheet and permission slip below!
Questions? Contact Mr. DiMaria - email@example.com
Student Grades Reporting Dates and Incentive Dates
- September 19th - Quarter 1 Progress Reports
- October 25th - Quarter 1 Report Cards go home with students
- October 27th - Quarter 1 Incentive Day
- November 15th - Quarter 2 Progress Reports
- January 5th – Quarter 2/Semester 1 Report Cards go home with students
- January 12th - Quarter 2 Incentive Day
- February 14th - Quarter 3 Progress Reports
- March 21st – Quarter 3 Report Cards go home with students
- March 29th - Quarter 3 Incentive Day
- April 19th - Quarter 4 Progress Reports
- May 24th - Quarter 4 Incentive Day
- May 31st – Final Report Cards mailed home
- Stay updated with parent portal: https://fortmill.powerschool.com/public/home.html
- Need to enroll in parent portal - contact our school registrar Dawn Fite at: firstname.lastname@example.org
9 Weeks Assessments - What are they?
At the conclusion of each 9 weeks there are assessments in every subject. These assessments are identical within the content areas of each grade level. For example, each 7th grade math teacher will give the same 9 weeks assessment.
Assessments will vary. They may be accumulative, unit based, objective, and/or performance based. This gives teachers autonomy in assessment construction, but consistency among grade level teachers. The testing calendar we create ensures no student has more than two tests on a test day.
Link your Harris Teeter VIC Card to GHMS (you can link to more than one school/organization):
Name of School – GHMS
TIE Account # is – 2247 (GHMS PTA)
TIE Account # is – 1019 (GHMS Athletic Booster Club)
We received over $4000.00 in donations from Harris Teeter last year due to VIC Cards!