PART-TIME AVID TUTORS WANTED!
Provide guidance and inspiration to middle school students.
Do you want to do something meaningful, get paid, and still have loads of time for classes and your own studies?
Also, AVID tutors get both classroom experience (great for those seeking future careers in education) and effective study strategies that can even help with college level work. (That's where they came from...Cornell Notes anyone?) AVID is a respected program with Common Core aligned strategies. Did I mention that this opportunity is a fantastic resumé (and character) builder, too?
- Tutors should be responsible, have good communication skills, patience, and the ability to connect with students as a mentor in addition to working well with the classroom teacher
- Work directly with small groups of 7th and 8th grade AVID students
- Utilize Socratic tutoring techniques to support inquiry based learning in all core subjects
- Be a role model encouraging college readiness habits and mindset
- Training provided; no experience necessary
When: 8:15am-9:15am Tuesdays and Thursdays
Pay: $21 per day/hour
Where: JLS Middle School, 480 East Meadow Drive, Palo Alto, CA, 94306
Please note that all tutors must pass a criminal background check and complete an application at our District Office.
What is AVID?
"AVID: ADVANCEMENT VIA INDIVIDUAL DETERMINATION
- Teaches skills and behaviors for academic success
- Provides intensive support with tutorials and strong student/teacher relationships
- Creates a positive peer group for students
- Develops a sense of hope for personal achievement gained through hard work and determination
As a result, policymakers and educators now consider AVID's mission to be an essential strategy for closing the achievement gap, making college access and success available to all students."
Learn more at http://AVID.org