Hillcrest Elementary School
May 1, 2020
We all wanted to say "hello"! We miss our Hillcrest Friends and Families! Enjoy this little video from all of the Hillcrest Staff to all of YOU!
We are excited to announce that VIRTUAL SPIRIT WEEK is coming to HILLCREST! Please see the video below and the attached flyer describing the week’s events! We would love to see pictures of you participating in the fun!
Please email your photos to: email@example.com
Summer Programs Update
Council Rock School District is canceling its Summer Music Program, Summer Academic and STEM Academy, and Camp Invention. Any registrations and payments received will be returned to families over the next several weeks.
Please note that Camp Invention is offering an at home alternative this summer. The Council Rock Director, Christine Marsden, will reach out in a few days with additional details on how to sign up for the at home version and/or get a full refund.
For questions about these three summer programs, please contact Dr. Susan Elliott, Assistant Superintendent for Teaching and Learning via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your understanding. Please stay safe and well.
Medication Take-Back Day
Council Rock’s Medication Take-Back Day will be held on Wednesday, May 13th, 2020 from 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm.
If you would like to retrieve your child’s medication or medical supplies, please click the link below and complete the take-back form by Friday, May 8th: https://forms.gle/LXHvGPuDM55SGUvG6.
If you are unable to pick up your child’s medication or supplies on May 13th, you may designate a person to pick up the medication or supplies for you by indicating that on the form.
Please note that controlled substances can only be picked up by adults. If you are unable to pick up your child’s medication and unable to designate a person to do so for you, please indicate your hardship on the form. If you do not complete this form to schedule your pick-up or indicate your hardship, your child’s medication will be disposed of at the end of the day on May 13th, 2020.
To pick up your child’s medication or supplies on May 13th, please arrive in your car at the main entrance of your child’s school between the hours of 2:00 pm and 5:00 pm.
Please remain in your car, and the nurse will come to your car to give you the medication or supplies. If you are feeling any signs of illness on May 13th, please do not come to Medication Take-Back Day. Instead, please email the school nurse directly, and alternative arrangements will be made to obtain your child’s medication or supplies.
Got pictures? Please continue to send snapshots of your children in their Distance Learning Settings. Send pictures directly to your child's homeroom teacher or Special Area teacher. We hope to share these pictures on our websites, through HCE social media and in our listservs. This is one easy way for us to stay connected.
We Thank You For Your Patience...The Links are Now Active...
We wanted to introduce a way for you to see some familiar faces from our school and also get a little Language Arts going on before bedtime! Coming soon, there will be TWO versions of "Goodnight Hillcrest!" available for your listening and viewing pleasure. One link will have our own HCE staff reading a variety of picture books, and one will have chapter books where you can click on one chapter to listen to at a time. The first chapter book that is available will be Ramona Quimby, Age 8 by Beverly Cleary. We have had a lot of fun making videos of books and we hope that you enjoy listening to them as much as we enjoyed making them!
Please note that you MUST sign in under your child's CRSD Credentials.
Please contact Mrs. Gassmann at Colleen.Gassmann@crsd.org if you have questions or problems accessing this link.
Free & Reduced Lunch
To apply for free lunch during the COVID-19 school closure, you may:
- Download the Free and Reduced Lunch Application, fill it out, and email back to Karen Moody email@example.com. DO NOT send your application via US mail to the district office as there is no mail being delivered to our buildings during this time.
- Apply online by visiting: https://www.compass.state.pa.us/compass.web/Public/CMPHome (website offers language options other than English)
You will only need to submit one application per household, even if your children attend more than one school in Council Rock School District. Eligibility determination is made using federal income eligibility guidelines and applicants will be informed of a decision within two business days of submission.
Throughout the duration of the COVID-19 school closure, Council Rock School District is offering a “grab and go” food service. If your family qualifies for free or reduced-price lunch, you will be given instructions as to how to access these meals when you are notified your child is eligible.
For questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Attendance During Distance Learning
While Council Rock students are engaged in Distance Learning, the following procedures will be implemented to track student attendance:
- Beginning Monday, April 20, 2020, students/families will be responsible for recording their attendance each day.
- ALL teachers will be provided with a link to post in their Google Classroom for students to be able to access.
- Students will click the link ONCE per day to record their attendance for that day.
- Students are NOT required to record their attendance for each class.
- Attendance secretaries will email the link community-wide every day at the start of each school day, since some of you may not be directly in your child's Google classroom.
- If a student is absent, parents/guardians can reply to the attendance secretary reporting the absence. Those who do not fill out the Form will be marked absent; excused absences should be emailed to the attendance secretary.
- Each school day, students and/or parents will access the link to the Attendance Form, and enter a valid email address (students are encouraged to use their school address), and their student ID number.
- Attendance is being recorded from 12:00AM to 11:59PM on a school day. Students and parents CANNOT record attendance in advance - this must be completed each day.
- Parents/guardians of multiple CR children MUST complete this Form once for each of their students; students CANNOT be combined into a single record.
- The Attendance Form needs to be completed once each day in order for a student’s presence in Distance Learning days to be recorded; however, no issues will occur if a student and/ or a parent records the attendance several times.
- If students do not know their student ID number, families can log into HAC, click the registration icon, click the demographic tab, and in the top left corner is the student ID.
FLEXIBLE FRIDAYS---IT'S A WIN...WIN!
Fridays can be used as:
- Catch up Days
- Exploratory Days---work on something that interests you! (w/your parent's permission of course!)
- Enrichment Days (perhaps you can go back to your classroom assignments and complete some of those optional activities that you may have skipped during the week)
- Visit those Special Area sites that you just haven't gotten around to yet
- Work with your teacher in an area that you might be having difficulty
- Work with specialist/counselor in an area that you might need support
- Visit the Student Wellness Website that will feature activities and learning opportunities on health & wellness (physical, mental, social)- Emails with the new link for new activities will be sent out every Thursday.
(This list is not exhaustive...but simply ideas for those WIN Fridays!)
Problem with Technology?
Contact your child's homeroom teacher first. The teacher may be able to resolve the issue or find an alternative way to complete an assignment. If the issue is with regard to a Council Rock Chromebook being broken or not working, please send an email to email@example.com.