Newsletter - Week 11, Term 1
Greenmeadows School 13 April 2022
Tēnā koutou kātoa,
We have arrived at the end of the COVID term and I really sense that so many children and staff are in real need of a break. This term has been really disrupted in so many ways. With close to 200 staff members and students having tested positive to date there are many who are still recovering from the effects of being unwell.
I wish you all a safe and relaxing break over the coming weeks. We look forward to seeing you back on May 2nd for what will hopefully be a far more settled term of learning.
Ka kite anō,
1. New Teacher Aide - we welcome a new teacher aide, Carol Gouder, to our staff from the start of next term. Carol has a wealth of experience in early childhood settings and will be a great addition to our team.
2. Farewell to Nicole Johnson - Nicole first started teaching at Greenmeadows School in 2009 and has worked here for long periods since then. She has taken time off to teach overseas as well as be a mum to her boys. Nicole returned to teach part time taking Reading Recovery last year, and working in a number of classes this year. She has been a very versatile, dedicated and consistently positive teacher at our school. However she has decided that the course of study she is undertaking needs her full attention so she has given up her part time role. We wish Nicole all the very best for what lies ahead ... but know she won't be a stranger to GMS!
3. Return of Marty Gibbs - Mr Gibbs was awarded a teacher sabbatical for a term of the 2022 school year, and elected to take this in Term 1 ... and as we know: Term 1 is about to come to an end. Marty has returned this week to get himself all set up for the new school term and spend some time with his class in Room 12. Great to have you back Mr G!
4. Thanks to Paula Kinsey - Mrs Kinsey has led the learning in Room 12 while Mr Gibbs has been away during this term ... and done a wonderful job. Many thanks Paula. Next term Paula will be opening up the newest New Entrant class in Room 5.
5. And in the final piece of staff news ... Miss Gates is due to get married over the holiday break. We wish her and Sam all the best wishes for a magnificent day weatherwise and for everything to go exactly as they would have planned! Next term Jess will return as "Mrs Harvey', which is bound to cause just a little confusion around school for a wee while!!
COVID-19 INFORMATION UPDATE to 30th March
We currently have 48 children isolating.
KOWHAI: 9 household contacts, 12 positive cases.
POHUTUKAWA: 7 household contacts, 6 positive cases.
TOTARA: 10 household contacts, 4 positive cases.
STAFF: 2 household contacts, 2 positive cases.
Hopefully the Easter break may give us a chance to reset. In the unfortunate event that any of your children should test positive over the holidays, please continue to advise the office using our school app. This will help with our data tracking as we head into the new term.
TEACHER ONLY DAY - Thursday 14 April
A reminder that our last day for school this term is WEDNESDAY 13 April.
We are on the hunt for around 6 small "old school" tape players that work. We are needing them for a literacy program that has listening tapes.
Can you please email email@example.com if you have one that you would like to donate.
OSCAR Annual General Meeting
PTA MEETINGS - Wednesday 4 May
7.30pm Monthly meeting
Come along and join as we really start to move along the process of fundraising for our two (yes TWO!) new adventure playgrounds.
The absent text service is NO longer available. Please do not text.
To report your child being away please use the school app. Find the absence button then use the email function.
GMS SCHOOL APP
This is how we communicate with the school community any importmant messages or reminders.