October 13, 2021
- Oct. 13- Running Club 3:30-4:30
- Oct. 14-15- No School-Parent/Teacher Conferences
- Oct. 19- PTA Mtg. 7:00-8:00 p.m. (Werner Media Center)
- Oct. 20-22- Safe Routes to School Bike Class (during PE)
- Oct. 22- SAC mtg. @ 7:45 a.m.
- Oct. 27- Picture Retake Day
- Oct. 29- Halloween Parade @ 2:45
NEWS FROM WERNER
- No School, Oct. 14-15- Just a friendly reminder that these days are set aside for parent/teacher conferences.
- Arrival Reminders- We have had several students arriving to school before 8:30. Please help us by making sure your child is not at school before then. We do not have supervision available and may need to have your child enrolled with AlphaBEST for before school care. Thanks for your help with this!
- Help Needed- We need some help with picture retake day on 10/27 in the morning. Please check out this link for more details.
Halloween Parade and Parties- Our annual Halloween parade and parties are back, but will look a little different with our current health/safety protocols. Our annual Halloween Parade will begin around 2:45 p.m. on Friday, October 29. Parents are invited to view the parade out on the playground. Parties will be held in each room before the parade. Due to current restrictions, we can only accommodate two volunteers per classroom for the parties. Room Parents and/or teachers will be communicating out to families on needs. Visitors will not be allowed for the parties this year.
Guidance on Halloween Costumes- Halloween is a great opportunity for dressing up in costumes that are creative and fun. We ask that you help your students plan for costumes that are not scary (e.g. zombies, vampires, etc.) and that do not use pretend weapons of any kind. Guns, knives, nun-chucks, bows/arrows, etc. will not be permitted. Students are okay with wearing facemasks. Please check the weather forecast before coming to school with their costume. The parade is outside, pending on the weather, and will last about 20 minutes.
Werner CANS Around the Oval Food and Fund Drive
The 35th Cans Around the Oval food and fund drive is back! Let’s do what we CAN to relieve food insecurity for our fellow RAMS and neighbors!
Here’s how you can help:
- Bring non-perishable foods to school and have your student put them in the CAN near their classroom between Monday, October 11-18.
- Make a donation to the Food Bank of Larimer County through our Werner Elementary Team virtual fundraising page using this link.
- Volunteering with the Food Bank for Larimer County
Let’s see what we CAN do for our community Wildcats!
Safe Routes to School Bike Rodeo-Oct. 20-22
Dear Werner Community,
The Bike Rodeo, put on by Safe Routes To School, is next week – October 20, 21, 22. The bike rodeo helps kids learn the rules of riding a bike safely with a fun obstacle course. What we need from your family is for your child to bring their bike and helmet on their PE day below. Your child will drop off their bike in the Werner gym under the sign for their grade level – just come around the building to the North side, where the gym is. A bike mechanic is inspecting all of the bikes for safety, but I am also sending a note home for your family to check your child’s bike beforehand. If your child does not have a bike or is using training wheels (they don’t use training wheels on the bike rodeo), Safe Routes To School does have some extra balance bikes for your child to borrow for PE. They also have extra helmets. Check out this helmet video to make sure your child’s helmet fits right.
There are still spots to sign up and volunteer. You can volunteer just for your child’s class or as many as you want!
Here is the Bike Rodeo Schedule:
Wednesday, October 20: 5th Harmes, Kinder Hampton, 3rd Deniston, 4th Ufer, 2nd Haugen, 1st Krueger
Thursday, October 21: 5th Bean, Kinder Cala-Bartha, 3rd Cassell, 4th Spencer, 2nd Doss, 1st Glover
Friday, October 22: 4th Braaten, 5th Sonnen, Kinder Radcliff, 3rd Putman, 4th Organ, 2nd Kruger, 1st Wolfe
Library Volunteers Needed!
The Werner library is excited to welcome back our seasoned volunteers and bring new ones on board! We would love your help shelving books and performing other library tasks anytime throughout the school day. We are happy to accommodate all schedules and availability.
Please email Amy at email@example.com if interested.
If you’re yet not in the PSD Volunteer system, sign up here:
Due to the district’s covid restrictions, volunteers must also sign up here this year:
All volunteers must wear a mask while inside a PSD building.
A Note from Our Health Office
Link to immunization information:
· If your student cannot get vaccines because of medical reasons, you must submit a Certificate of Medical Exemption to your school, signed by a health care provider licensed to give vaccines. You only need to submit this certificate once, unless your student’s information or school changes.
· If you choose not to have your student vaccinated according to the current recommended schedule because of personal belief or religious reasons, you must submit a Certificate of Nonmedical Exemption to your school. Nonmedical exemptions must be submitted annually at every new school year (July 1st through June 30th of the following year).
· Two ways to file a nonmedical exemption, certificates and online education module:
o File the Certificate of Nonmedical Exemption WITH a signature from an immunizing provider, OR
o File the Certificate of Nonmedical Exemption received upon the completion of our online education module.
Werner Health/Safety Protocols
NEWS FROM WERNER PTA
OCTOBER GENERAL PTA MEETING Oct. 19 | 7:00 pm | School Media Center
The Werner PTA has invited Katherine with Partners Mentoring Youth to come and speak at our October PTA meeting, the evening of Oct. 19, 7pm in the Media Room. Space is limited, please RSVP at this link: https://forms.gle/iuW528Jh6o3vj8247
We are looking forward to learning about how our children's brains function and form habits. This presentation is packed with helpful developmental information. Learn how to control emotions, recognize red flags, support your children in recognizing their emotions, and prevent substance abuse.
PTA business will be conducted before Katherine speaks, and the PTA will be there following the presentation to answer any questions about upcoming activities and volunteer opportunities. ***You do not need to be a PTA member to attend.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
The PTA will be founding a DEI committee. As founding members, this first committee year we will be focused on partnering with Principal Camp to identify the needs of the Werner Community and within guidance of the National PTA creating a mission for our school and begin to offer community guidance and support. Register HERE if interested
PTA BOOK CLUB-OCTOBER
Our first book club pick is:
Trauma Proofing Your Kids: A Parents' Guide for Instilling Confidence, Joy and Resilience
by Peter A. Levine and Maggie Kline.
The number of anxious, depressed, hyperactive and withdrawn children is staggering—and still growing! Millions have experienced bullying, violence (real or in the media), abuse or sexual molestation. Many other kids have been traumatized from more “ordinary” ordeals such as terrifying medical procedures, accidents, loss and divorce. Trauma-Proofing Your Kids sends a lifeline to parents who wonder how they can help their worried and troubled children now. It offers simple but powerful tools to keep children safe from danger and to help them “bounce back” after feeling scared and overwhelmed. No longer will kids have to be passive prey to predators or the innocent victims of life’s circumstances.
In addition to arming parents with priceless protective strategies, best-selling authors Dr. Peter A. Levine and Maggie Kline offer an antidote to trauma and a recipe for creating resilient kids no matter what misfortune has besieged them. Trauma-Proofing Your Kids is a treasure trove of simple-to- trauma’s effect on a child’s body, mind and spirit. Including a chapter on how to navigate the inevitable difficulties that arise during the various ages and stages of development, this ground-breaking book simplifies an often mystifying and complex subject, empowering parents to raise truly confident and joyful kids despite stressful and turbulent times.
PTA Spirit Wear
Like our Cool PTA Mom tees? The Werner PTA has designed some Grownup Tees and Coffee Mugs for purchase to show your PTA spirit!
Follow us on Facebook to stay engaged with School Events and see what the PTA is up to at the school.
September Meeting Recap September’s detailed Meeting Minutes can be found HERE.
Grownups Night Out November| Board & Brush | Day & time TBD
FREE MONEY FOR YOUR SCHOOL! Did you know there are ways to donate money to the school by doing things you already do?
- If you shop at King Soopers with a loyalty card they will donate to Werner when you sign up here.
- If you shop on Amazon, you can sign up for Amazon Smile and they will donate 1% of purchases.
- If you like to eat out, the PTA hosts Werner Dines Out once a month and the restaurants we partner with will donate back to the school.
Thank you for supporting the Werner Elementary PTA!
PTA President | Anjani Rogenski
PTA Vice President | Nicole Kidd
PTA Treasurer | Patti Haswell
PTA Secretary | Chelsea Padgett
PTA Board member | Juliana Schump
Connect with us at PTAWernerElementary@gmail.com
There Is No Wrong Way to PTA. How Do You PTA?
NEWS FROM PSD
Apply to Substitute in PSD!
Are you interested in gaining valuable work experience? Would you like a flexible schedule and the opportunity to make a difference?
Have you considered working for Poudre School District as a substitute?
We want to meet you!
For more information, pay scales, and an application link, visit:
Once your application has been processed, you will be invited to sign up for an orientation.
If you have questions about the process of becoming a substitute for PSD, please contact the substitute coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org
PSD 21-22 School Year Updates
PSD Now Newsletter
One of many ways information is shared is through the PSD Now community newsletter, which features timely information about the latest happenings in the district. This is emailed to families and interested community members about every other Thursday.
Here is the most recent newsletter of PSD Now. For archived newsletters and information about how to sign up, go to: https://www.psdschools.org/department/communications.