The Eagles' Nest April 5, 2021
The Community Newsletter of EXCEL Academy PCS
Volume 2, Issue 18
It's Time to Pivot - Hybrid Instruction Begins This Week!
Tomorrow our staff will return from a much-needed Spring Break refreshed and ready to have a strong finish for the 4th quarter! This Thursday, we will receive the initial cohort of students who will be returning for hybrid learning. It is our goal that ALL students will receive equitable instruction whether they are at home or in the schoolhouse.
To assist scholars with the transition to in-person instruction, your students' teachers MAY have asynchronous instruction for all students on the first day of each cohort. Teachers will contact you before Wednesday if they decide on this option.
As a reminder, here are the first days of each hybrid cohort:
- Thursday, April 8th - Cohort 2 (Thursday/Friday): K-6th grade and all students with IEPs (and their younger siblings) whose last names begin with K-Z
- Monday, April 12th - Cohort 1 (Monday/Tuesday): K-6th grade and all students with IEPs (and their younger siblings) whose last names begin with A-J
- Thursday, April 15th - Cohort 2 (Thursday/Friday): 7th & 8th-grade students whose last names begin with K-Z.
- Monday, April 19th - Cohort 1 (Monday/Tuesday): 7th & 8th-grade students whose last names begin with A-J.
** PLEASE NOTE THAT AT THIS TIME WE ARE NO LONGER ABLE TO ACCEPT ANY ADDITIONAL STUDENTS FOR HYBRID INSTRUCTION **
3rd Quarter Amnesty Period
- Ensure your scholars are working diligently over spring break to complete missing work.
- Go to SchoolMax first to see which graded assignments have zeroes so you can target the correct ones (not everything in Google Classroom).
- Students should complete the assignments and add attachments in Google classroom if they are missing.
- If the assignment was an iReady lesson, students may complete an iReady lesson to replace it but they must attach a screenshot of the completed lesson screen that comes up at the end to the missing assignment.
- Send the assigning teacher an email letting them know which assignments were completed so they will know which ones to look for when they return (please note, teachers will not be available to reply until after spring break is over.)
- To ensure teachers have ample time to accurately grade your child's work, we are requesting that you submit the completed work (or as much as you can) TO THE TEACHER no later than Tuesday, April 6th. Later assignments can be accepted up through Friday, April 9th but we encourage you not to wait so we will have enough time to get them changed.
If you follow these steps we are certain we can collaboratively support your scholars in improving their performance for this quarter.
2021-2022 School Calendar
- OPTION A – August 30 start date for students
- OPTION B – September 7 start date for students
Download and review both options then take a short survey to share your feedback. The survey will be available through April 9, 2021.
Click here for the survey and to take a look at the two calendars: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc68Tmja3dIzyh5xw5ldro82OxFOZ3zwyFZoi86U8-S8Vt-lA/viewform
EXCEL-ling In the Kitchen - Tuesday April 13, 2021@ 6:00 p.m.
We invite you to join us for our 6th Series of: “EXCEL-ling In The Kitchen.” Together, we will create a delicious meal for dinner. This fun activity is for all! If a student is participating they will need parental supervision due to the fact that we will be using the stove and other kitchen tools. We will send out the menu a week in advance in order to allow you time to purchase the items. Please make adjustments to the items based on the size of your family. If you have any questions about substitutions (prior to us cooking together) please contact Mrs. Reese at Monique.email@example.com. Happy cooking! We can’t wait to have you EXCEL-ling In The Kitchen with us!
Date: Tuesday, April 13, 2021
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 854 1297 5845 Passcode: 858561
Spicy Shrimp or Chicken Burrito Bowls
(This recipe serves 4. Please make adjustments based on the size of your family.)
1½ pounds raw shrimp - deveined & shelled OR the protein of your choice.
2 cups corn, (thawed if frozen)
1 Can of Black Beans
Tomatoes (Equivalent to 1 Cup Diced)
Cilantro (2 Bunches)
Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil (Enough to sauté your protein.)
Avocado, Shredded Cheese, Sour Cream, or Hot Sauce
Cutting Board & Knife
Pot to cook the rice in.
Here is the recipe for the "Sweet Heat Chili Sauce" from last month's cooking event, just click on the link!
April 5th - 9th Is Assistant Principal's Appreciation Week!
A WORD FROM OUR OPERATOR - SEED, Inc.
- We Have a Social Worker on staff to serve our families!! Ms. Jasmine Briscoe is joining us to support families with navigating school, connecting with services, and providing mental health services for our scholars. If you are interested in working with her, please contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please see the flyers below for more details
- SEED/EXCEL Governing Board Meeting April 15th, 6:30 pm - 8 pm. Last month Ms. Lisa McDougal, President of SEED., Inc, (our Operator) presented the EXCEL Academy Building Timeline at the governing board meeting which was approved and submitted to the District. More facilities updates are expected at the next meeting.
- Family Market Food distribution will be on Thursday, April 22nd! Families will be able to pick up boxes as they exit the property BUT all are welcome!
Meeting ID: 860 0075 8117
Via phone: +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
Meeting ID: 860 0075 8117
Technical Support - UPDATE!!
When taking an EXCEL Academy device to a Parent Technical Support Center and they are unable to fix the problem, please do not allow them to keep the device unless there is a Prince George's County Public Schools tag on the bottom. All EXCEL Academy PCS (EA PCS) devices must be returned to our school in exchange for a replacement.
Remember that if your child is having a technical issue you MUST email the teacher the day of the incident. Thank you for understanding.
UPDATED Days/Times: Mondays and Wednesdays, 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Parents may call 240-696-3315 during these hours to receive live assistance.
Sign up for an appointment **An email address is required to book an appointment online. If you do not have an email address, please book an appointment through the Parent Hotline at 240-696-3315. To book an appointment online:
1. Select the “Book an Appointment” link below for the specific location you would like to visit. 2. Select the service you need. 3. Select an available time from the list. *Appointments must be made more than 90 minutes in advance. 4. Complete the appointment form. 5. A confirmation email will be sent to the email they use to register.
- Benjamin Tasker Middle School - 4901 Collington Road, Bowie, MD 20715 | Book an appointment
- Charles Carroll Middle School - 6130 Lamont Drive, New Carrollton, MD 20784 | Book an appointment
- Drew Freeman Middle School - 2600 Brooks Drive, Suitland, MD 20746 | Book an appointment
- G. James Gholson Middle School - 900 Nalley Road, Landover, MD 20785 | Book an appointment
- Gwynn Park High School - 13800 Brandywine Road, Brandywine, MD 20613 | Book an appointment
- High Point High School - 3601 Powder Mill Road, Beltsville, MD 20705 | Book an appointment
- Northwestern High School - 7000 Adelphi Road, Hyattsville, MD 20782 | Book an appointment
- Port Towns Elementary School - 4351 58th Avenue, Bladensburg, MD 20710 | Book an appointment
- Thurgood Marshall Middle School - 4909 Brinkley Road, Temple Hills, MD 20748 | Book an appointment
Important Dates to Remember: April 6th - April 16th
- Tuesday, April 6th: All virtual classes resume
- Thursday, April 8th: Hybrid instruction begins for K-6th grade and all students with IEPs (and their younger siblings) whose last names begin with K-Z; Family Market Food Distribution at 2:00 p.m.
- Friday, April 9th: Third Quarter ends.
- Monday, April 12th: Hybrid instruction begins for K-6th grade and all students with IEPs (and their younger siblings) whose last names begin with A-J
- Tuesday, April 13th: EXCEL-ling in the Kitchen! #6 (see information above)
- Thursday, April 15th: Hybrid instruction begins for 7th & 8th-grade students whose last names begin with K-Z; SEED/EXCEL Board Meeting at 6:00 p.m.