Mrs. Bumatay's Bulletin
For Parents and Students
Volume 1 . Issue 14 . Week of May 3, 2021
TRANSLATE THIS BULLETIN
- Select "Translate Newsletter" under the "Accessibility" box (top right) and choose your language.
- Seleccione "Translate Newsletter" en "Accessibility" (cuadro en la parte superior derecha) y elija su idioma.
Dear Cavalier Families,
- It is Teacher Appreciation Week this week! We like to celebrate all our staff as we ALL contribute to educating our students. Chula Vista Middle is blessed to have so many hard-working staff members who care about our students and families. if you would like to donate a treat to make this week extra special, please let me know.
- It is also Nurse's Day on May 6. Our wonderful Nurse Kovacs has been here at school daily, screening staff and students and distributing relevant COVID information all with a smile on his face. Please let Nurse Kovacs know how much you appreciate him! You can send him an appreciation email at email@example.com.
- Information regarding End of Year Graduation/Promotion was sent out to families last week from our District. Here is the Spanish version. UPDATE: We are planning two in-person 8th grade promotion ceremonies for June 3rd at Chula Vista High School's stadium. Students may bring up to four guests, preferably from the same household. There will be two ceremonies, one at 8:30 am and one at 11:00 am, probably by last name alphabet due to social distancing capacity. This is all pending COVID Safety guidelines. The ceremonies could change or even be cancelled. More official information to come.
- Our school would like to gather information from our students about their experience this year at CVM and what we can do for our students next year. Please encourage your student to fill out this student survey to help us plan. NEW: There is also a parent survey to gather information as well. I hope you can participate by filling out the survey.
- Lunch activities with our students are from 12:25 to 12:55! Here are the options:
Intramurals with Coach Clark and Coach Ortega in the PE area
Crosswords and Coloring with Ms. Romano in the MPB main area
iPad Games with Mr. Nava in 301
Pictionary and other board games with Mr. Urbina in 201
Pokemon and video games with Ms. Hollins in the MPB main area on Mon/Wed only.
- Summer School will be held from June 7th - June 25th in a combination of in-person and distance learning, based on student need. Mr. Casas will be the Summer School Principal, congratulations! The hours for students will be from 8:00 am - 1:30 pm. Staff Duty hours will be from 8:00 am - 2:00 pm. Teachers will have a 30 minute prep period at the end of the day. We will be offering courses in English, Math, Social Science and Science to students who have failed a core course. If room allows, we can consider those students who received D's or a NCP grade to enroll. We can also offer IM 8 A to allow 7th graders going to 8th grade to move to the Compacted class in 8th grade. The link to enroll for summer school for students and parents will close on May 14. There is a job aid and screencast available on the district website on how to request a course. Counselors will have to review each request carefully to determine the best placement for each student.
- As part of our #SUHSDSTOPAAPIHATE awareness activities, there are a couple of Food for Thought forums left. Hopefully you can join one.
May 7 - Race and Im/Migration
May 14 - Connection with other races (i.e. BLM, MeCHA, Chicano Movement, etc.)
Here is the link for these meetings. I hope you can advertise and participate! Here is a link to recordings of previous meetings. The culminating activity will be "Ube Eats" on May 21 from 9:00 - 2:00. More information to come.
In your service,
Health questionnaire that must be submitted daily
Please let me know if you would like to donate a treat for our staff this week!
AS SEEN ON CAMPUS!
Happy Nurse's Day Nurse Kovacs!
Free Chromebooks to our students through CLUB TC!
Generations of families come through CVM!
May is Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month
The State Board of Education adopted a resolution designating May 2021 as Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. The Sweetwater District recognizes that the State of California is home to approximately 750,314 Asian American and Pacific Islander students from at least 17 different groups. The History-Social Science Framework for California Public Schools supports the recognition of different ethnic groups through incorporating a multicultural perspective in the curriculum.
#SUHSDSTOPASIANHATE Friday Forums! Please share with students and families!
COMING UP THIS MONTH! Open to everyone!
PURCHASE YOUR 20-21 CVM YEARBOOK!
Questions about registration? Go to our website!
SCHEDULE FOR THE WHOLE SEMESTER
FREE MEAL DISTRIBUTION
Kudos to our counselor's for creating this space for our school community!
Here is a link to Frequently Asked Questions regarding the COVID vaccine and here is the link for all COVID Testing Sites. We all know someone who has been personally affected by this virus. Please continue to wear masks, wash hands frequently and maintain social distancing to help prevent the spread of infection.