UCS Secondary Virtual Academy
Week of April 11, 2022
We are committed to exemplary teaching and learning in order for our students to be prepared for success in the 21st Century.
REPORT CARD INFORMATION
During April, UCS will distribute reports cards electronically. The third marking period grades will be sent electronically to families at the end of the day on Monday, April 18, 2022.
To receive the report cards, parents will need to have a secure PowerSchool account. Parents who do not have access to a PowerSchool account will need to register for one prior to Tuesday, April 12th, 2022. The report cards will then be automatically e-mailed to the address that is used to register the PowerSchool account. If you already have a PowerSchool account, you do not need to take any further action. The report card automatically will be sent to you electronically.
All students enrolled in Michigan schools in grades 3-8 and 11 will take the M-STEP (Michigan Student Test of Educational Progress) assessment. The M-STEP will measure your student's growth and progress on the Michigan Academic Standards. Those standards are available at this web site: www.Michigan.gov/academicstandards
As parents/guardians, you play an important role in your child’s academic success.
We are asking your help to ensure he/she is prepared for this new online assessment series. Here is what you can do:
· Encourage your child to approach the M-STEP with a positive attitude.
· Ensure your child gets plenty of rest the night before, has a good breakfast and comes to school on time each day.
Your child’s attendance is vital to his/her achievement. In addition, full attendance is necessary for our school to meet state participation requirements.
To learn more about the M-STEP assessments, please visit the Michigan Department of Education Web site: http://www.michigan.gov/mde
Please feel free to Heather Blum with any questions or concerns.
PARENTS CHECK OUT THE M-STEP NEWSLETTER BELOW FOR FAMILY RESOURCES
Check Out This Resource from Our UCS Wellness Committee
UCS students have free online tutoring available to them through a partnership with the public library. Students can login by clicking the Virtual Library Card App in their ClassLink. This will connect your student to a professional tutor to receive help with difficult homework problems between the hours of 4pm – 11pm. Students login with their UCS student number (found on PowerSchool) and the password is the student's birthdate (example April 4th - 0404). ‘UCS’ is in front of the student number. More information can be found on the UCS home page in Success Tool Kit.
ATTENTION 10-12 GRADE STUDENTS - PSAT 10 AND SAT OPT-IN COLLEGE BOARD STUDENT SEARCH
Find out how you can opt-in to the College Board Student Search survey. Read below for more information!!
PRIOR COMMUNICATION - BUT STILL WORTH REMEMBERING!
UCS WELLNESS PODCAST
The UCS Wellness team is happy to announce the fourth episode of the podcast series will be released on Wednesday, March 16, 2022. The topic is CARE of Southeastern Michigan and the services they offer to the community. The team worked with community members to create a podcast regarding different areas of physical, mental, and social health for UCS staff, students and families. The podcasts are available on the UCS Wellness page: UCS Wellness - Utica Community Schools (uticak12.org). Below is a list of the podcasts released and the upcoming schedule.
Mental Health with guest, Nancy Buyle, School Safety/Student Assistance Consultant, MISD
Grief and the Grieving Process for Children with guest, Michele Kreft, Henry Ford SandCastles Children’s Grief Support Program
Family Communication with guest, Erica Chavez, Counselor, Shining Light Counseling
CARE of Southeastern Michigan with guests, Susan Styf and Erika Bradbury
Discussing Dating Violence with Turning Point with guest, Danielle Watson
Tacking Tough Topics with the Macomb County Sheriff’s Office with guest, Sargent Renee Yax
Our Youth and Vaping with guest, Corey Beckwith, Access Community Health and Research
Vaccine Information for Future Kindergarten and 7th Grade Students and their Families
2022 Board of Education Meeting Schedule
VIRTUAL STUDENT MEALS
- Breakfast & lunch meals are available for virtual enrolled students only.
- Meals must be pre-ordered by Thursday the week before to ensure meal availability.
- Meals can be ordered at www.sendmoneytoschool.com.
- You will need your student's school ID number. This is available on PowerSchool as well as from your school's main office.
- We have provided a video link for you on how to order these meals.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut30F33DR_U&feature=youtu.be
- You will only be able to order meals for those students in Virtual School.
- Students attending in person learning, meals are available in their buildings during specified meal times.
- Menus for both programs will be different so please check the menu for your student's specified school and program.
- Meals are available for pickup at Stevenson (door 25) & Eisenhower (door 1) from 12:30-1:30pm on Mondays (Tuesdays when holidays are on Mondays) near the main offices.
- You must park and enter the designated door to pickup these meals. There is currently no outside pickup.
- You receive enough breakfasts and lunches to cover the school days. Non-school days are not allowed in the current program.
- If you have questions please call our office at 586-797-1180