Shifting to the NGSS: Online Study
Professional Science PD Opportunity
Calling all K-12 Science Educators
Are You Having Trouble Finding Science Professional Development In Your Location?
Are you working to enhance your knowledge, understanding, and implementation of the Kansas Standards for Science?
Professional Development Opportunity Overview
The Kansas Department of Education and Fort Hays State University are partnering with the National Science Teachers Association to provide an online PD opportunity for K-12 Kansas science educators across the state.
KSDE, FHSU, and NSTA have developed a five-week online book study around the Enhanced E-book: Discover the NGSS: Primer and Unit Planner. This enhanced e-book offers a comprehensive introduction to the NGSS, including background information, analysis of the three dimensions of the standards, and steps to move educators toward classroom implementation. All K-12 grade groups will be served through this opportunity.
During the online book study, educators will attend live web seminars and participate in asynchronous discussions with other Kansas/national participants and with the web seminar presenters from NSTA, FHSU, and KSDE. The web seminars support the use of the enhanced e-book to deepen participant understanding of the innovations of the NGSS. NSTA presenters will also share examples and stories from the classroom to illustrate HOW this understanding can be used to translate our Kansas Standards for Science into classroom teaching and learning.
Program Dates & Times
The five live web seminars are scheduled from 6:15-7:45 pm Central Time on the dates below (all Tuesdays):
- October 2, 9, 16, 23, 30
- Certificate of participation will be provided per completion of the study
- * One more meeting date is required if you choose the graduate credit opportunity (TBD)
Additional Details & Associated Fees
- The cost to participate: $15 (made payable to FHSU)
- All other fees have been sponsored by KSDE and FHSU
- You will receive a copy of the Enhanced NSTA E-book: Discover the NGSS
- You will receive 7.5 hours of direct online professional development from national and state leaders in science education (web seminars)
- Each web seminar follows a section of the e-book and homework questions will follow each web seminar to prepare you for the next session (~2.5 hours of outside work)
- Additional online support will be provided by state leaders through an online platform to support your direct and indirect online professional learning throughout the month
- Additional outside learning time and support will be provided for the one graduate credit hour opportunity through Fort Hays State University