Follow Your Own Star
Weekly Newsletter December 14-18
Peek @ the Week
'Twas the Week Before Christmas at OES! Click here for this week's festive events!
Monday, December 14
- MAP Make up testing
- RtI Meetings
- AP Seminar @ DO 4:00 pm
Tuesday, December 15
- School Improvement Council meeting 5:00 pm
- PTA/4th grade Christmas program 6:30 pm
Wednesday, December 16
- Literacy Coach Meeting
Thursday, December 17
- 4K Christmas program 9:00 am
- Chick-Fil-A Spirit Night
Friday, December 18
- 4th grade Christmas program encore 8:30 am
- Christmas parties 9:30-10:15
- Students dismissed at 11:00- Once all buses have arrived, we will make a dismissal announcement
Need to Know News Shared with OES Parents
Dismissal on Friday @ 11:00am – Don’t forget that this Friday is a half day. School will dismiss at 11:00am. There are no after school activities, including After the Bell All-Stars (ABA), scheduled for this day. If your child normally attends daycare in the afternoon, please check with the daycare to be sure they pick up on half days. Not all daycares provide transportation on half days.
Wofford Women’s Basketball Holiday Hoops Matinee – Wofford will help “tip-off” the Christmas season with a FREE event at Benjamin Johnson Arena on Friday, December 18 at Noon! The game against Radford was originally slated for 6:00pm but was moved to noon to specifically attract families looking for a fun way to start the holiday break. A variety of concession items will be available for purchase. For more information, contact Wofford Sports Marketing at 864.597.4090.
All Star Shout Outs
Hour of Code
Thank you Mr. Banks for helping our OES All Stars experience an Hour of Code last week!
BSM Spanish Club Visits 5K
Thanks to our BSMS Spanish Club friends for visiting our 5K All Stars during their Christmas Around the World unit! They worked together to make a special Spanish dessert.
Doughnuts for Dad
Thank you to everyone who made our annual Doughnuts with Dad a great success!
Hour of Code
BSM Spanish Club Visits 5K
A Message from Dr. P
We appreciate everyone's time in gathering, analyzing, and communicating your student's mid-year results during last week's SLO conferences. Conferences went very well and everyone is aware of their students strengths and needs. I know this process has required much but I believe we are more aware of our students strengths/weaknesses than we've been in years past. While data is not anything new to us at Oakland, the triangulation of data from multiple sources has certainly strengthen our process. Here are some things that we took away from our time with you that point to strong student achievement:
- Meeting with students frequently, especially those in Tier 3. For those of you who have seen strongest increases, this is a nonnegotiable.
- Helping students establish their goals and track their progress.
- Inviting students to see their progress through benchmark writings, rubric reflections, sight words, DRAs. Sharing this information with them strengthen their confidence as learners.
- Including parents in this process. Being transparent with them, communicating student goals with them, and providing routine follow-ups.
- Keeping it all in balance...PBL, guided reading, guided math, etc. Providing these academic opportunities for all supports the academic and social growth for everyone!
As a challenge to all of us, I encourage everyone to learn one new thing over the winter break. Whether you choose to read ahead in the text we selected to support professional growth through SLOs, discover a new app that allows students to communicate their learning, a possible consideration you will share with your grade level for your upcoming PBL unit, or a professional blog...the goal is to find one thing you will attempt to implement when returning from break. Here's a blog that may help: https://www.teachingchannel.org/blog/2015/12/11/winter-pd-2015/?utm_source=newsletter20151212/
Mark Your Calendars...
- December 14-18: 'Twas the Week Before Christmas Break at OES
- Tuesday, December 15: PTA/4th grade Christmas Program 6:30 pm
- Thursday, December 17: Chick-Fil-A Spirit Night
- Friday, December 18: 4th grade Christmas program encore @8:30 am, Christmas parties 9:30 am -10:15 am, Students dismissed at 11:00
Birthday Wishes Go Out To...
Emily Daniel- 28
Michelle Lockwood- 28