Weekly Penguin News
Park Village Elementary - A 2018 CA Distinguished School
09/20 - D.A.D.S. Group Meeting | 7:00 pm
09/23 - Math Olympiads Info Meeting | 6:30 pm @ MPR
09/23 - 09/27 Parking Spot Raffle Sales
09/25 - X-Ploration
09/26 - Jr FIRST Lego League Applications DUE
09/26 - Volunteer Workroom Training | 9:30 am @ Workroom
09/26 - 5th Grade Science Night | 6:45 pm @ MPR
09/27 - Ice Cream Social | 3:20 pm @ Lunch Area
09/30 - Professional Growth Day | NO SCHOOL
09/30 - Last day to order yearbook for 15% off
09/30 - Math Olympiads Registration DUE
10/01 - Last chance to purchase Park Spot Raffle ticket
10/01 - Kindergarten full days BEGINS
10/02 - Picture Day
10/02 - Student Council Meeting | 8:00 am @ Library
10/04 - Ice Cream Social | 3:20 pm @ Lunch Area
Go to https://parkvillagefoundation.com/pages/calendar for additional calendar events
Go to https://app.peachjar.com/flyers/all/schools/52513 for PVES digital flyers
Congratulations to our newly elected Student Council Officers!
(As pictured) Vice President - Lucas S, President - Daniel H, Secretary - Adam F, Communications Officer - Alex K.
Parking Spot Raffle
Foundation Funded Programs Have Begun
Friday Ice Cream Social
Volunteer Workroom Training
By Joy Turnage, Campus Supervisor
In order to use the copiers in the Workroom, classroom volunteers MUST be trained to use these machines.
We will have a Workroom Training Session on:
September 26th – 9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
Classroom volunteers, please plan to attend this training session as you will not be able to use the copiers in the Workroom without training. Thank you so much for your cooperation.
Tips for Library Success
By Mrs. Fleming, Library Media Technician
The library opened recently. I’m so excited to see the students again! Here are some tips to make the most of your child’s weekly visits.
- All books are checked out for one week and are due no later than your child’s library day. Ask your child which day they visit.
- Encourage your child to put their book in their backpack the night before so it doesn’t get forgotten during the morning rush.
- If your child needs more time to finish a book, they should bring it back to school and ask their teacher to renew it. The teachers and I will show them how.
- Encourage your child to return their books as soon as they’re done with them, even if it’s not library day.
- Help your child find a safe place at your house so books don’t get lost or damaged by siblings and pets.
- Keep school library books separate from public library books so you can return everything to the right place. Our books have a “Park Village Elementary” barcode on the back cover and a property stamp inside.
- Remind your child not to put water bottles or lunch boxes inside their backpack if they have library books in there too. Books absorb liquids like a sponge and wet books grow mold overnight!
- Use homework helpers and research databases from home 24/7. All of these (and more) are available from the library’s web page at https://www.powayusd.com/en-US/Schools/ES/PVES/Academics/Library/Library-Home
Remember, parents are responsible for paying fines for loss or damage. If you follow the tips listed here, that’s less likely to happen to your family. If you ever have questions, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Happy reading!
Volunteer Opportunities for 2019 - 2020
Park Village prides itself on our programs and events. However, they are all run by parent volunteers, and we need your help! We have opportunities of all types and sizes. Even one hour once a month can make a difference!
- Library - Help reshelve books. This task is constant and can happen any time of day. Perhaps you can help after morning drop-off or while waiting to pick up your child in the afternoon? You can make a difference in as little as 15-20 minutes. I just need folks to stop by regularly. Many hands make light work! No experience is required. If you’re interested, please email me at email@example.com, or stop by the library to chat.
- Recycling - Help sort and crush recycling. Second Wednesday of every month, 8-9 am, ESS Parking Lot. Even 15-30 minutes before school is a big help!. Contact Victor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Science Night Volunteers - You will oversee a station while our little ones sharpen their science skills with their parents. Please sign up for a night when your own child is not attending - PV Science Night Volunteers. Contact Shannon Nellies at email@example.com.
- Marquee Editor in Chief(s) - Update the marquee in the front of the school with our PVE news, and help keep our families informed! Contact Gigi in the office.
D.A.D.S. Group Meeting, Friday Sept. 20 at 7PM, Victor's Back Yard
What is the Math Olympiads contest? A opportunity for children to participate in creative problem solving which develop a child's ability to reason, to be logical, to be resourceful, and occasionally to be ingenious. Students in grades 3 through 5 are eligible to participate in PV's Math Olympiads program. There is an informational meeting for students and parents on Monday, September 23 at 6:30pm in MP room. No RSVP needed. If you have any questions email Shiv Keyal at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information please visit here: https://app.peachjar.com/flyers/806891/schools/52513
Jr FIRST Lego League
PTA Reflections Program 2019
by Jennifer Myers, Reflections Chair
Become a Famous Artist at PV! The Reflections artist's showcase will be Friday evening, October 18th in conjunction with Movie Night in Room H102. This year’s Reflections theme—“Look Within”— has may possibilities. Ask your child to think about the theme and talk about what it means to them.
Brainstorming Starting Points:
Look within them selves? Who are they, what are their dreams, aspirations and goals?
Look within others? What is someone else feeling? What does a dog think about? Or a famous sports figure? A child separated from their parents? A friend after an argument?
Look within an object? What is inside a tree, under the ocean, within a house?
Look within a business or organization? What goes on inside a library, courthouse or classroom?
Let your child get creative and have fun! They can create a piece of artwork or short film, take a photo, choreograph a dance, and/or write a song or story that captures the theme in their own unique way!
If your child wants to submit an entry, click here for the rules and entry form. Completed Reflections entries will be due October 16th in the lunch area before school begins (8:40-9:00 am). If you are not able to drop off an artwork at this time, please email to make alternate arrangements.
If you have any questions, please contact Reflections Chair, Jennifer Myers at email@example.com.
2019-2020 GATE Testing Information
Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) involves services for students whose cognitive needs may require modified classroom curriculum and instruction to accommodate their learning differences and ensure their achievement. Parents may request GATE testing for students in grades 2-7.
To request GATE testing for your child, complete a GATE Parent Questionnaire/Test Consent form online through the PUSD GATE webpage - https://onlinereg.powayusd.com/GateSurvey
NOTE: Requests for GATE Testing will only be taken during the request submission window dates (now through November 22, 2019).
Test Date (only 1 test opportunity) at PARK VILLAGE ELEMENTARY: January 16, 2020
**Testing will be on site during regular school hours.
If you have questions, please contact the PVES Admin. Office at 858-484-5621.
PV Yearbooks On Sale Now
Order your Yearbook by September 30 to receive 15% off the regular price! Don't wait - this is the biggest discount (and lowest price) of the 2019-2020 year! Each yearbook comes with two free, custom pages. Plus, earn $5 for PV Foundation AND a tree is planted with every purchase. https://tr5.treering.com/createAccount/101471725840797
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Proceeds support the 4th Grade Giving Service Project, 5th Grade Promotion, PUSD Adopt-a-Family, and more.
The Next Generation of Box Tops is Here!
Park Village is on Social Media!
Follow us on Facebook:
Park Village Foundation: https://www.facebook.com/parkvillagefoundation/
DADS Group: https://www.facebook.com/ParkVillageDADS/
Follow us on Instagram:
Park Village Foundation: https://www.instagram.com/parkvillagef/
DADS Group: https://www.instagram.com/parkvillagedads/