Mrs. Gardner's Grade Update & News
* March 3rd * Spring 2014 *
In This Newsletter...
1. Grade Update
2. Gradebook Check
3. TOTY Nominations
4. Welcome Information
5. Course Navigation Video
6. Weekly Synchronous Sessions
7. Parents Can Check Grades Too
8. Late Work Policy
9. Accepted Files
10. Email Reminders
11. Extra Credit
12. Spring Break Info
13. EOCT information for 9th graders
Grade Update ~ For All Schedules
I am aware that some students have special accommodations through our support department. For these, I am still required to enter the zeros after the due date. Grades will be replaced upon completion of work, per the accommodations for each student.
This rule applies for late work as well. Zeros are entered after the due date. As late work is turned in, the late grade will replace the zero. Please refer to the late work policy further down in this email for more information.
Check the Gradebook
Teacher of the Year Nominations
Nominate the 2014 Georgia Virtual School Teacher of the Year
Each year, Georgia Virtual School recognizes one teacher who has excelled in his or her commitment and contribution to our students, school, and online education.
Students, parents, facilitators, teachers and staff will nominate for the ToTY between March 1 and March 31.
If you believe that you know a teacher who should be recognized as Teacher of the Year, please complete the nomination form by clicking this link.
The GaVS Teacher of the Year will be announced at the Summer 2014 Professional Learning Symposium.
Thanks for your time!
Welcome to My Class ~ Lots of Information
I have lots of information for you. IF you have not yet read my welcome newsletter, please do that at this time. Here is the link:
You are responsible for the information presented in the newsletter.
Mrs. Gardner's Course Navigation Video
Weekly Synchronous Sessions - Mondays @ 6:00
I will, from time to time, host a specific session that includes a lesson. The recorded sessions will be posted in the user links section of the course.
You are encouraged to attend all sessions, but not required to do so.
Please check the announcements for the exact time of the meeting each week. Ideally, it will be at 6:00PM each week, but this may change from time to time.
Important Parent Information - How to Check Your Child's Grade
The Parent Account gives you information about your child’s grades and progress in their course. If your child’s grade drops below a 75, you will receive an automated phone call. If your child’s grade drops below a 70, you will receive a phone call from me.
If you already have a parent account please do NOT create a new one.
1) Please check to see that your parent account is linked to your student’s account.
2) For more information click Help on the Log in page or click the following link. http://helpdesk.gavirtuallearning.org/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/gavs-parent-info
If you are uncertain about whether you have a parent account or not,
1) Log in to GAVS at www.gavirtualschool.org and at the Log In page type in your username and password.
2) For more information click Help at the top of the Log In page or click the following link. http://helpdesk.gavirtuallearning.org/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/gavs-parent-info
*Information for parents who have NEVER created a parent account.
1) Login to our website www.gavirtualschool.org
2) Click the “Log In To GAVS” icon
3) Click “Create An Account” from the navigation bar.
4) You will need to know your child’s GTID and date of birth.
5) Please follow the directions on the screen.
6) Be sure you have linked your parent account to your student’s account.
7) For more information simply click HELP at the top of the Log In page or click the following link. http://helpdesk.gavirtuallearning.org/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/gavs-parent-info
Late Work Policy
Technical difficulties are not an excuse for assignments to be late. Students must have computer access to complete GAVS work. It is the student’s responsibility to secure backup computer options when technical difficulties arise. Many public libraries offer computers with Internet access. Additionally, GAVS courses can be accessed on a variety of mobile devices so it may be that a mobile device could be used to complete some coursework when there are computer problems.
*If you are a special education student and would like GAVS to consider making accommodations for you, please fax a copy of your IEP or 504 Plan to 770-357-3704. If you do not have a copy, please contact your facilitator.
Please be aware of the pacing guide and due dates for all assignments. Extensions past the last day of school will NOT be granted. All student work is due biweekly on Fridays at midnight. Check course schedules for course assignments and specific due dates. Work turned in after the deadline on the course schedule will be accepted within 1 week with a late penalty assessed. Late penalty begins on Saturday and is deducted at a rate of 10% of the assignment value per school day. Work submitted on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday is considered 1 day late.
Late Work Policy Example: David turns in an assignment at 3:15 pm on Sunday. He scores a 7 out of 15 on the assignment. David will lose 1.5 points on this assignment (15 * .10) and the score recorded in the grade book is 5.5/15. A note should be made in the grade book detailing the late work deduction.
Emailing Me - A Few Tips
Be sure that you email me from your GAVS address.
Be sure that you have followed the directions for Google Mail, located on the GaVS Homepage. This will ensure that you receive all of my emails and updates.
Students & Parents,
Please include your full name (parent & student) AND the course of enrollment, as well as a good contact number. This is small detail, but a very important one! This is the best way to ensure speedy answers and communication. Watch the demo below. Thanks!
9th Grade AB
Extra Credit Opportunities
Available through March 7th
Adobe Extra Credit
EOCT Information for 9th Grade Students/Parents ONLY
This EOCT information is only for my 9th B and 9th AB classes
Registration Dates - March 3-April 4, 2014
Registration Deadline- Friday, April 4, 2014
EOCT Test Date- Tuesday, May 6, 2014
Click EOCT Private School and Home School Student Registration Survey to register for the May 6, 2014 EOCT test. (Remember to log into GaVS to access the survey.)
HOME SCHOOL AND PRIVATE SCHOOL STUDENTS, who are currently enrolled in the AB or B sections of a GaVS course, which by the state of Georgia, requires an End of Course Test (EOCT) must complete the registration survey. Click Here to view a list of EOCT courses.
- The EOCT is your final exam. If you miss the EOCT test your final grade will not be released.
- EOCT information will be sent 2 weeks prior to the EOCT test date.
- EOCT information will be sent to parent and facilitator email addresses.
- EOCT information will be sent to all students' GaVS email accounts.
- Address questions to email@example.com
Keep my phone number & email address in a place that is easy to reach. If you have a special circumstance, please let me know. Here are some situations that might merit an immediate contact:
* Medical situation (hospitalization, extreme sickness, injury): Contact me BEFORE a due date if you have been too sick to complete work. Please note that a note from the doctor may be required to authorize any extensions for sickness.
* Technology emergency: Please notify me BEFORE a due date if you experience a technology issue. If you lose power, get kicked out of a test, have a computer crash, or other extreme situation, please let me know immediately. We understand that these things happen, but also expect students to have a back-up plan for technology issues. Plan to use a computer at school, the library, a friend or family member's computer, etc.
* General Assignment/Course Questions: These are best answered by email, but feel free to call me as well.