NRES STAFF NEWSLETTER
December 8 - December 12, 2014
Learning Function Meeting at NRES (Monday, December 8)
They will be observing periodically between the hours of 8:30 and 12 noon. If you are interested in observing with them during your planning time, please let me know.
VESTED Transformation PD Day and Sheltered Instruction
Does the January Professional Development Day count as Sheltered Instruction credit? Yes. Sheltered instruction training is required by the state for each teacher. Teachers must have an initial 12 hours of training. After the initial 12 hours, teachers must have a 6 hour update annually.
Because the VESTED Instructional Model addresses the needs of a wide variety of learners, it meets the criteria to qualify as Sheltered Instruction. Sheltered Instruction is a way to meet the learning needs of English language learners with content learning and language acquisition. This VESTED Transformation Professional Development will meet the requirement of the Sheltered Instruction 6 hour annual update. Is it like this in every district? NO! Thank you to the Learning Function for making this possible. Please sign up for the January 5th Professional Development Day starting Monday afternoon.
Additional funds have been allocated which will allow us to begin tutoring. Please read below to determine who will be in your groups and submit your names to Julie for approval. Permission slips can be sent home this week so tutoring can start the week of Dec. 8th.
If you plan to tutor, students should be:
1. Either in Tier 2 or 3 of the RTI process.
2. Be progressed monitored with fidelity.
3. May have been retained.
4. Failed one or more STAAR Test. (3rd or 4th grade).
5. May be considered At Risk by KISD standards. (not TEXAS 13 criteria)
Weekly Spirit Stick Attendance Winners!
Kindergarten: Ms. Hernandez's class with 100% present!
First grade: Ms. Poole's class with 97.62% present!
Second grade: Ms. Rogish's class with 100% present!
Third grade: Ms. Manjarrez's class with 100% present!
Fourth grade: Ms. Ford's class with 98.89% present!
Specials: Ms. Hardisty's class had 100% of students present the whole week!
Reminders and Expectations!
- December 8: District personnel doing walkthroughs at NRES.
- December 8: Preview Gift Shop according to schedule.
- December 9: 3rd grade program at 2:00pm and 6:30pm.
- December 10: Fine Dining event for 3rd and 4th graders in LLI tutoring at 4:15pm.
- December 11: Social Event in the Library at 3:30pm.
- December 12: Food for the Soul Distribution (8:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.)