Blood Results

Lead Poisoning To Childern

What is lead Poisoning?

  1. Lead poisoning is a acute or chronic poisoning due to the absorption of lead into the body.

    Lead is a very strong poison. When a person swallows a lead object or breathes in lead dust, some of the poison can stay in the body and cause serious health problems.

How does lead harm the body?

Too much lead can harm both children and adults. No one knows exactly how much lead it takes to cause health problems. Many times there are no symptoms until the health problems are very serious. Usually people who are lead poisoned do not seem to be sick.Lead poisoning can cause learning, behavior and health problems in young children. Lead can cause high blood pressure and kidney damage in adults. does lead harm the body

In poverty neighborhoods theres a high amount of lead poisoning but why?

Lead used to be in paint which was outlawed after 1970s. In old buildings there is still that paint there today where people live now are taking in that lead and getting lead poisoning.

How to avoid lead Poisoning?

  • Be aware that lead-based paint may have been used on cribs, highchairs, windows, woodwork, walls, doors, railings and ceilings.
  • Don't let your child eat or chew on anything you think may have paint on it. Look for teeth marks on the woodwork in your home.
  • Be sure to wet wash the windows often. Loose paint and dust can build up inside and under the window area.
  • Do not use your household vacuum to clean up paint chips or leaded dust. The filter in your household vacuum cleaner is not designed to pick up and hold small pieces of lead. Using a regular vacuum cleaner will spread lead dust into the air.
  • Painting over chipping or peeling lead-based paint does not make it safe!
  • Family members can also become lead poisoned while the lead-based paint is being removed from the home. Call the Minnesota Department of Health at 651-201-4620 or 800-798-9050 to learn more about safely removing sources of lead from an older home.

What are the symptoms of lead poisoning?

  • No desire to eat food
  • Loss of recently acquired skills
  • Drowsiness
  • Irritability
  • Headache
  • Lack of energy
  • Constipation
  • Stomach cramps
  • Trouble sleeping are the symptoms of lead poisoning