Ed. 6 October 12, 2020
The Power of Affirmation
A common theme in our Mindfulness lessons this year is paying attention to self talk. We have been encouraging students to notice what they are saying to themselves, to take charge of their thoughts and to speak in a way that encourages resilience and positive thinking. The voice that it is most important in a child's life is the one that raises them. How you speak to your child reverberates in their head and in the story they tell themselves about themselves. They also are listening to how you speak to yourself. Do you tell yourself you can work through a hard situation or that you are defeated by it? Check out the poster below for some affirming statements you can say to yourself and your student!
September 15 - October 15
Bates is celebrating Hispanic Heritage month!
Check out the Cougar Channel!
Cougar Chanel is ON during Building Communities! (8:30 AM!)
Artists Visiting Bates Clubs!!!
Bates will be hosting some special artists during our Clubs & Activity Time! Check out the clubs and descriptions below to see if your student is interested in joining this club prior to the artist arriving! Trust me, you won't want to miss out! Please, email your grade level administrator to be given the Google Classroom Code to join!
- GSA Club hosted by Mrs. Fonte & Mrs. Matras welcome slam poet, Gowri K. to explore activism through poetry! Check out some information about her HERE!
- Vibe & Flow Club led by Ms. Beller & Ms. Weiss will be hosting hip-hop slam poet, DaTruth, who will be writing poetry about community & self-esteem!
- Outdoors Club run by Ms. Frank will be opening her virtual club to Brittany Roger who will be sharing her video footage of wolves to understand conservation in Yellowstone National Park and explore sketching of wolves! Here is more information about Brittany Roger!
- Math & Art Club with Ms. Heath will also be welcoming Brittany Roger to understand math concepts with SNAKES! Students in this club will be able to see Brittany's snakes through the googles, calculate mass/length, and explore sketching techniques! Here is more information about Brittany Roger!
- Zoo Club let by Ms. Caton and Mrs. Carter welcome Brittany Roger to explore two different lizards, their environments, and engage in sketching strategies! Here is more information about Brittany Roger!
If you are interested in any of these artist visits during club time, feel free to email Ms. Grimail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or reach out to your GRADE LEVEL ADMINISTRATION to ask for the Google Classroom Code!
PBIS, our positive behavior system is gearing up in the virtual world at Bates. The PBIS committee is a team of 15 staff members that represents each grade level. We value and reinforce our Bates Way; respect, responsibility, civility and hope. We are excited to share new student and staff incentives for positive behavior soon. We are looking for a parent volunteer to serve on our committee. Our meetings are twice a month from 8:00-8:25am. Please email Mrs. Carter if you are interested!
Here is a sneak preview of our upcoming student incentive!
Math Still Requires a Pencil
Even though we are living in a virtual world right now, please encourage your students to use pencil & paper when completing Math work! Just because the problems are on the screen, doesn’t mean students need to solve on the screen and in their head! Students benefit from getting in the habit of writing down their work! Once they make sense of the problem on paper, they can come back to the screen and input the answers. Questions or Concerns? Contact Ms. Heath or 302-314-5370
Instructional Material Pick Up
Did you miss Instructional Material Pick Up??
Please call the school at 410 263-0270 to arrange a time to pick up materials.
If your student is absent from class, please complete this google form (form in Spanish) or send a picture of the doctors note to Ms. Tongue. If your student will be absent from class for 3 or more days, please contact their grade level counselor in order to assist with gathering make-up assignments. If possible, please schedule doctor’s appointments during non-instructional times.
(Link can also be found on the One Bates Website)
Click Here to find presentation information and sign up for a "Virtual Information Meeting"
In the Community
If you believe you are eligible for P-EBT and have not received your benefits, click here to complete a "Customer Inquiry Form"
FLEX TIME IS CLASS TIME!
Flex time is required for ALL STUDENTS for the ENTIRE class period. For encore classes, students will attend the first half of class with their A day encore and the second half of class for their B day encore. The newly revised schedule can be downloaded from the One Bates Website
You do not need to submit an application if your children were automatically approved (directly certified) for free meals during the 2020-2021 school year.