West Pine Middle
Ignite! Engage! Grow!
A Note From Mrs. Wiley
Happy new year to you all. I truly hope the holiday season was filled with rest, relaxation, and rejuvenation.
We have a very busy athletic schedule this week. Please see below for all the details including two home basketball games.
We've been away from school for two weeks, so a few reminders are needed.
- School begins at 8am. Students arriving after this time are considered tardy.
- Send absence notes to your child's homeroom teacher when your child is absent from school. More attendance information including excused and unexcused absences can be found below in the "attendance matters" section.
- Students are only permitted to use wired earbuds while at school. If wireless earbuds are used on the bus, they must be put away prior to entering school.
- Review the MCS dress code with your child.
- Personal phones are to be placed in lockers during the school day. We have phones available for students in the event they need to call home. If your child isn't feeling well during the school day, he/she should let the teacher know and/or come to the office to call home and not call the parent from the bathroom. Our nurse and office staff are available to assist.
We have 16 days left in this quarter and the first semester. Let's ensure our students are committed to finishing this leg of the journey strong by getting a good night's rest, being in school each day, and getting all work turned in on time.
I look forward to seeing our Wildcats back on campus Wednesday. As always, it's a great day to be a Wildcat.
Robotics Team Update
FCA Canned Food Drive
All games or matches from the power outage have been rescheduled. Please read through the updates that show the remaining schedules for both basketball and wrestling.
Remaining Basketball Schedule:
January 4: HOME Game vs. East Lee
January 5: HOME Game vs West Lee
January 9: AWAY Game vs Southern Middle, playing @ Pinecrest HS, start time 5PM
January 10: AWAY Game vs @ Crains Creek
One additional postseason game will be determined after regular season play ends. The date, location, and the opponents for the boys and girls teams will be shared as soon as we know!
All basketball games start at 4pm, unless otherwise noted with the girls playing first, followed by the boys. Students staying for home games are to be picked up no later than 6:30pm in the front of the school. Tickets are $2 for students and $4 for adults. Concessions, including pizza will be sold! Parking can take place in the grassy field in front of the school. Please do not park in the bus lot.
Remaining Wrestling Schedule:
January 9: AWAY Invitational Quad-Meet @ East Middle (Montgomery County)
January 10: HOME vs. Crains Creek
January 11- AWAY vs Lee County @ Sanlee Middle School
January 18- HOME vs Southern
January 21- AWAY Conference Tournament @ Crains Creek
All wrestling matches start at 4pm, Students staying for home matches are to be picked up no later than 5:15pm in the front of the school. Tickets are $2 for students and $4 for adults. Concessions will be sold! Parking can take place in the grassy field in front of the school. Please do not park in the bus lot.
Volleyball/Boys Soccer Tryouts
Tryouts for both sports will officially be on Tuesday 1/17, Thursday 1/19, & Friday, 1/20. Final rosters will be posted on the athletic portion of the WPMS website on the evening of Friday, 1/20. Coach Wallace and Coach Freeman will be coaching the volleyball team and Coach Eury and Coach Pennington will be coaching the boys soccer team. Eligibility will be checked in full prior to tryouts. More information to come on what students will need to bring to tryouts as well as pickup times.
- January 16: MLK Jr Holiday
- January 26: End of 2nd Quarter/1st Semester
- January 27: Teacher Workday
Please acknowledge the MCS Student Code of Conduct in Parent Portal.
Instructional (including the encore fees) and technology fees can be paid online, or students can bring in cash or check. Contact Ms. Mullen, our bookkeeper, if you have any questions.
Dogs are not allowed on campus. If your dog is in your car during our morning and/or afternoon carline, we ask that you ensure your dog is restrained when your child exits or enters the car.
Don't forget to review the dress code with your child. In particular, students must wear clothing that covers their skin from chest to mid thigh with opaque (non-see-through) fabric in front, back, and on the sides. Clothing must cover undergarments, and breasts, genitals and buttocks must be covered with opaque (non see-through) fabric. For more information, visit the MCS Student Code of Conduct.
Bus Transportation Information: Students are not allowed to ride a bus in which they are not assigned. They can only ride their assigned bus.
- Routes: Transportation can be viewed on Parent Portal (web browser only, NOT the app). Here you can verify your child's transportation information.
- Communication: Please continue to contact the call center (910-947-5861) for any concerns or questions about your student's route.
The MCS middle school final grades are calculated as follows:
- For a single semester course, a student’s final grade shall be determined based on the final exam 15% of the final grade) and the grade for each nine-week marking period (each marking period representing 42.5% of the final grade).
- For a year-long course, a student’s final grade shall be determined based on the final exam (15% of the final grade) and the grade for each semester (semesters are the average for two nine-week marking periods with each semester representing 42.5% of the final grade).
- Middle school students taking high school courses will be graded using the Grade 9-12 formula.
***ELA, math and science (8th) will use the EOG as the final exam. For courses without an EOG (6-8 SS, 6-7 SCI, and encore classes), the final exam will be determined and created by the teachers. World History and Math 1 follow HS guidelines. Here is the link to the grading policy for the district.
School attendance is important and in order to receive the best education, students need to be present to fully support their academic success. School administrators and teachers track student attendance in PowerSchool. Parents should monitor their child’s attendance and ensure that students do not accumulate excessive absences. Both excused and unexcused absences count towards student attendance. Failure to meet minimum attendance policies may jeopardize a student’s ability to participate in sports or promote to the next grade. Parents will be contacted by school administration or a school social worker under the following circumstances:
- The child has accumulated three (3) unexcused absences in a school year.
- After not more than six (6) unexcused absences, the principal shall notify the family by mail that they may be in violation of the Compulsory Attendance Law.
- When student absences, excused or unexcused, reach five (5) in a semester or eleven (11) in a year in grades 9-12, or fifteen (15) in a year in grades K-8, the principal will contact the family.
- Students in grades 9-12 who are absent from a class more than eight (8) days, excused or unexcused, during a semester course shall not receive credit for the semester or year.
- Students in grades K-8 who are absent more than twenty (20) days during a year shall be referred to an interdisciplinary attendance committee which shall determine if the student should be retained. Additional policies are outlined in MCS Board of Education Policies, Section 6000.
Car Line Key Points
- Doors open at 7:30am. For our students' safety, we ask that you not drop off your child prior to that time as there are no staff members on duty.
- All students are dropped off at front of school in the morning. Please do not drop off in the bus parking lot, grassy area, tennis courts, at WPES, or at a local business.
- Students who work the school store or are involved in an early morning club meeting may be dropped off in the grassy area or front driveway.
- We are getting our students in to the building on time, so that is great news! The line will remain long unless more students ride the bus or families carpool.
- Older siblings will go to the younger sibling's car line for pick-up.
- Don't forget, 7th grade is picked up on the service road behind the baseball field. Cars will enter at WPES.
- 8th grade cars may proceed to the staff parking lot for afternoon dismissal. Once that area is full, 8th grade cars must remain in the main car line with the 6th grade cars. A staff member will be outside to help direct traffic. Use your right turn signal to alert the staff member on duty that you are going to 8th grade pick-up.
- Cars are asked to pull all the way up to the first open spot. The students will walk to your car. Do not stop when you see your child. Staff will direct you to keep moving as we have MANY cars to move through the line.
- Friday car lines will be much longer due to students not having athletic practices after school. Expect longer wait times.
WPMS PTSO News
- PTSO General Business Meetings and Parent Informational Sessions. Mark your calendars and join us to learn how we all can support our students.
- Our PTSO is raising money for a flag pole and flag for our ball fields. Please reach out to one of our officers (see below) if you would like to help.
Do you want to get involved but don't know where to start? Join the WPMS PTSO. For more information, reach out to one of our board members or email them at email@example.com.
- Alison McCloskey - president
- Amanda Peterson - secretary
- Meredith Morgan-Coleman - treasurer
- Karyn Schwagel - board member
Parent Advisory Representatives
Here are your parent representatives for the 2022-23 school year.
- Parent Advisory Council (PAC): Chiquita Monroe
- Military Family Advisory Council (MFAC): Alison McCloskey
- Hispanic Community Advisory Council (HCAC): Elizzeth Salgado
- African American Community Advisory Council (AACAC): Whitney Alford
- School Improvement Team (SIT): Alison McCloskey and Lynn Antil
Band, Orchestra , Choral Music/Theater, and Athletics
2022-2023 SIT Meetings
Monday, January 17, 3:30pm
Monday, February 13, 3:30pm
Monday, March 13, 3:30pm
Monday, April 17, 3:30pm
Monday, May 8, 3:30pm
Monday, June 12, 8am
Do you have a question, concern or celebration you would like to share with our School Improvement Team? Enter it below. Our team will respond at the next SIT meeting and will note it in the minutes.