and her book Speak
Tuesday, May 24th, 9pm
This is an online event.
Melinda Sordino busted an end-of-summer party by calling the cops. Now her old friends won’t talk to her, and people she doesn’t even know hate her from a distance. The safest place to be is alone, inside her own head. But even that’s not safe. Because there’s something she’s trying not to think about, something about the night of the party that, if she let it in, would blow her carefully constructed disguise to smithereens. And then she would have to speak the truth. This extraordinary first novel has captured the imaginations of teenagers and adults across the country. (Published on October 1999)
Through out the book he was the one know as "It" or "The Predator". He was the one that Malinda was constantly hiding from because of the past events at the party. Every body as far as she knew loved him and the girl drooled over him. But it wasn't that everybody know the true Andy on he end of the book, when he locked her in the janitors closet and tried to molest her again. Then he was cot in the act of it.
This is the tree from Melinda's art project for Mr. Freeman class.
This was when Melinda was selecting her project in Mr. Freeman's class.
In the book speak Melinda's art teacher Mr. Freeman assigned a year long art project that each student had to draw there own out of a hat randomly. Melinda drew a tree, and she went to grab another and he stopped her and told her that that would be it. She thought that it was pointless, se thought that it was something that she would have drawn in eliminatory school.
- Ms.Connors / gym coach
- Marthas / are Meg Harcutt, Emily Briggs, and Siobhan Falls
- Nicole is an ex-Plain Jane, one of Melinda's former friends
- Ivy used to be a Plain Jane along with Melinda, Nicole, and Rachel avoiding her because she is not popular
- David Petrakis / is a brainiac and one of the few people who treats Melinda decently
- Mom & Dad / Mom is the hardworking manager of Effert's, a downtown clothing store / Dad sells insurance, and Melinda thinks Dad's job is too easy and resents what she sees as his freedom
- Heather is from Ohio and is the new kid in town, and was at the beginning one of Melinda's only friends
- Rachel and Melinda have been best friends since grade school at least up until what happened at the party
- Hairwoman is Melinda's English teacher
- Ms. Keen is Melinda's biology teacher
- Mr. Neck is Melinda's social studies teacher
- Principal Principal loves harassing kids and is clueless about how to actually reach out and help them
- guidance counselor had not a clue about what Melinda's symptoms really meant
One Laurie Anderson best books was the book Speak. This story was about a high school girl and the challenge of her 9th grade year. When she went to a high school party at her friends house and the unthinkable happened to her. The hard ship of not being able to tell and speak up about what happened. To make things worse her family was falling apart with a week relationship with her mother and father; not making it any easier with her friends turned against her giving her the cold shoulder. Making fun and calling names and the ones she gets close to turning against her and letting other people use her.