Welcome Back Hawk Families!
2023-2024 School Year
Reminder: School Starts Tuesday, August 15th
Houston Middle School Families & Friends:
Our office staff has returned to school and are busy planning for our amazing students to return to school. We are excited for the 2023-24 school year and look forward to all of the great things that are happening at Houston Middle!
Below you will find important preliminary information including registration, MSBSD School Calendar, HMS bell schedule, Professional Learning Mondays, Picture Day, and other reminders. If you have specific questions that are not answered in this email, please don't hesitate to reach out. Our front office number is 907-892-9400. Go Hawks!
-Orin P. Wear, Principal Houston Middle School
We are asking all families to register online as soon as possible. Registration is currently open online by accessing ParentVue at https://www.matsuk12.us/registration. Accurate and timely registration helps us serve the academic and social needs of our students. If you need support with this process or do not have access to a digital device, you are welcome to come by HMS Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM. Our staff will be here to walk you through the process and answer any questions.
2023 - 24 School Calendar/Bell Schedule/HMS School Map
- We have a new bell schedule this year. Please see the attached document for the latest version. Notice that on Mondays students will start school at 8:45AM. The purpose of Professional Learning Community (PLC) Mondays is that it provides teachers and administrators ongoing professional development to support student achievement. When educators have intentional time built in to collaborate/review data on how to best support students academically, data shows that better academic outcomes are achieved. To put it simply, when teachers learn more, students learn more.
MSBSD School Calendar
Houston Middle School Bell Schedule
Houston Middle School Map
HMS Open House
HMS will host an Open House on Thursday 8/10/23 from 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM. HMS families are welcome to do a self-guided tour of our school to meet staff and see where classrooms are located. Most student schedules will be available through StudentVue and ParentVue by the time of our Open House. In some cases, student schedules may not be ready. We will work with families when this happens to provide as much schedule information as we can.
Many families are heading to the stores to stock up on school supplies. Basic School Supply Lists should be available at stores. In addition, a suggestion to all families, is to plan on sending your student to school the first day with a backpack, pencil & pens, notebook, and loose paper. Once students start their classes, individual classes may require additional supplies. We are hoping to issue lockers by the first day of school.
Dress & Appearance
Students and parents/guardians shall be informed about the school dress code at the beginning of the year and when revised. A student who violates the dress code shall be subject to appropriate disciplinary action.
Student dress and general appearance is a shared responsibility among students, parents/guardians, and the school. The Board of Education believes that appropriate dress and grooming contribute to a productive and safe learning environment. The Board expects students to give proper attention to personal cleanliness and to wear clothes that are suitable for the school activities, including industry requirements at the work site, in which they participate.
Students have the right to make individual choices from a wide range of clothing and grooming styles, but they must not present a health, safety hazard, or a distraction which would interfere with the educational process:
- Attire bearing expression or insignia which is obscene, libelous, or which advocates racial, religious, or other prejudice is prohibited.
- Attire which advertises illegal substances for school age students is prohibited, as are items which suggest sex, alcohol, or tobacco products.
- Clothing which does not cover undergarments is prohibited. Students wearing prohibited attire will be asked to cover it, change it, or go home until proper attire is worn.
The following minimum standards will be enforced:
- Clothing and accessories, e.g., notebooks, patches, tattoos, and jewelry must not display racial or ethnic slurs or symbols, gang affiliations, vulgar, subversive, sexually suggestive, or otherwise inappropriate language or images; promotion of products that students may not legally buy such as alcohol, tobacco, and illegal drugs; or anything that promotes harm to another or to one’s self.
- Prohibited items include studded jewelry or chains, sunglasses unless medically required, sleepwear or clothing resembling sleepwear.
Once again, thank you for following through on registration as soon as possible. It's important for a successful start-up. Please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 907-892-9402, with questions or concerns. I will be sending HMS updates as plans unfold. I hope you are having a safe and healthy summer and I feel confident that our HMS community will continue to successfully navigate changes as they develop.
Orin P. Wear