SMCHS News Update
Wednesday, May 5, 2021
"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.” Saint Teresa of Calcutta
Monday, May 3-Friday, May 7: Teacher Appreciation Week
Wednesday, May 5: Band & Choir Concert @6:30pm (guests limited, LIVESTREAM LINK)
Friday, May 7: Friday chapel mass @7:15am / Adoration
Thursday, May 13: School Mass @10:52am
Wednesday, May 19: Senior Retreat, grades 9/10/11 Student Award Assemblies (daytime), Senior Awards Night @6:30pm
For a complete calendar listing, view our Google calendar online.
Countdown to Graduation 2021!
Graduation will be here soon! Please use this LINK to view graduation events and important information.
Similar to many events during the 20-21 school year, prom will be slightly different this year. A generous parent group stepped forward this year and offered to host prom for our senior class. For reasons of inclusiveness and convenience, SMC will aid in ticketing and supplying a guest list. Please note that SMC is not sponsoring prom and it is being funded and chaperoned by a parent group. Below are the details. Please reach out to Morgan Hogerty at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Promvoyage, a senior prom celebration, will be held on Friday, May 28 at Whiting Boat House in Neenah from 8:00pm-11:00pm. Tickets are on sale in the school office for $10. Promvoyage is a formal event, so dress in prom attire!
Congratulations to freshman Daniel DuVernay for earning a National German Award Scholarship to attend Concordia Language Villages in Minnesota. He qualified to compete nationwide through his Gold Award on the National German Exam and then successfully interviewed in German to win this competitive award!
Congratulations to freshman Addison Dinka earning a national scholarship to the National Congress-Bundestag Exchange Program. Next year she will attend school and live with a host family in Germany. Only 250 students nationwide are selected for this very prestigious award!
Academic Summer School Opportunities
- Courses offered are GROWING UP HEALTHY and FINANCE EDUCATION.
- The classes are open to students entering grades 9-12.
- Each student can only register for one of the classes.
- Cost of each course is $75.
- Registration closes on May 28, 2021.
- A staff member will monitor student's progress and be available for additional help.
- Student will receive a 1/2 credit toward health or business once the class is successfully completed.
- SMCHS transcripts will include completed class information and l receive a "P" (pass) for completion of the course. Letter grades will not be awarded.
- Please use this link for a more detailed class description and to register: SUMMER ONLINE CLASS REGISTRATION
Please contact Patti Fouts with questions.
Spring Sports Update
- There are still SEVERAL openings for volunteers for spring sports. Please sign up to help our spring sports be successful! SPRING SPORT VOLUNTEER SIGN UP
- Check the BIG EAST WEBSITE for competition schedules. Golf, track and field, girls soccer, baseball, boys tennis and softball are all underway! Spectators are allowed!
- Please keep in mind that for students to participate in co-curricular practices, rehearsals, meetings, etc., students must be in school by 12:00 p.m. and stay through the end of the day on the day of the scheduled activity, unless pre-arranged and/or excused by the administration. To participate in co-curricular competitions such as performances and games, students much be in school the entire school day. Students who are too tired or ill to attend classes are also too tired or ill to perform in co-curricular activities. Exceptions to this rule include serious illness or death in the immediate family, medical or dental appointments that cannot otherwise be avoided; and special situations for which prior approval has been obtained from the administration.
COVID or Allergies?
Is it COVID or allergies? This information from the CDC can help you decide. If your child has a history of seasonal allergies, you might want to see if your doctor will write a letter describing his or her typical symptoms. If we have this on file, your child may not need to get a COVID test when they are experiencing multiple allergy symptoms.
Host an International Student!
We are looking for families to host international students attending SMCHS for the 2021-22 school year. Hosting an exchange student is a great opportunity for your family to benefit from a cultural experience. There is a monthly stipend and a $1,000 tuition credit to host families. What a great way to make a St. Mary Catholic Schools education more affordable for your family and to help our school with this important program. If you would like more information or to discuss this opportunity in greater detail, please contact Sue Thelen.
SCHOOL COUNSELING NEWS
Reminder for Seniors Taking AP Exams
Seniors - Be sure to log into your MY AP account and set your attending school to ensure they receive your AP test scores.
Wisconsin Virtual Post- Secondary Planning Night NEW
Join representatives from the Wisconsin Technical College System, University of Wisconsin System (2 & 4-year colleges), Wisconsin Private College System, United States Military and Apprenticeships for a virtual Post-Secondary information program on Thursday, May 13 at 6:00pm. Register today!
Financial Aid Info Session NEW
Join the financial aid & admissions staff at Fox Valley Technical College on May 18 at 6:00pm to learn more about the FAFSA process, tips & tricks and everything you need to know while moving forward with your application. FVTC also hosts virtual FAFSA workshops on Thursdays (except when the college is closed). Click here for the next date and time.
Any college credits earned during high school must also be communicated to the college/university you plan to attend by requesting a transcript from the school where the credit was earned. Requesting transcripts is the responsibility of the student and should be done soon after the course is complete to avoid any delay in college/university course registration.
Midwest Student Exchange Program
Over 50 colleges and universities in Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, and Wisconsin have opened their doors to each other’s students at more affordable rates. Click here for more information. If you are attending a Minnesota college or university this fall, you can fill out tuition reciprocity forms here.
Students can see how AP courses will transfer at UW System campuses here. Students will be able to narrow their search by selecting either specific campuses and/or courses they would like to see equivalencies for. Please note that students who have specific questions about their credits transferring should reach out to the school they are applying to.
ACT Test Prep
ACT Test Prep will be hosting an in-person class (at Xavier) June 7-10 from 4:00pm--7:15pm and an online class July 12-15 from 4:00pm--7:15pm. Register here. Students will also find free ACT test prep in Naviance > From My School > Free Test Prep Kaplan.
Navigating the College Admissions Process – Virtual Sessions
The Wisconsin Association for College Admission Counseling (WACAC) is sponsoring a series for high school students called "Navigating the College Admissions Process". Over the course of two days, they will host four, 45-minute sessions which include:
- Finding the Right College Fit - Tuesday, May 18 at 3:30 P.M.
- Your Guide to Financial Aid - Tuesday, May 18 at 4:15 P.M.
- Student Panel - Wednesday, May 19 at 3:30 P.M.
- Easing Anxieties about the College Process - Wednesday, May 19 at 4:15 P.M.
Students need to register in advance for each session they would like to attend.
2021 Advanced Placement Exam Schedule
Thursday, May 6 at 8:00am--AP US History
Friday, May 7 at 8:00am--AP Chemistry
Friday, May 7 at 8:00am--AP Spanish Literature
Tuesday, May 11 at 12:00pm--AP Psychology
Wednesday, May 12 at 8:00am--AP English Language
Friday, May 14 at 8:00am--AP Biology
Friday May 21 at 8:00am--AP Spanish Language
Monday, May 24 at 12:00pm--AP Physics
Thursday, June 3 at 11:00am--AP Modern World History
Thursday, June 10 at 3:00pm--AP Statistics
University of Wisconsin System Updates
- UW System Online Application will open for the Fall 2022 term on Sunday, August 1, 2021.
- UW System Practice Application: https://practiceapp.wisconsin.edu/
- Check Application Status: https://uwhelp.wisconsin.edu/application-review-timetable/ Check to see how long it typically takes all UW schools to review applications and make an admissions decision!
- Placement Testing Registration: Students enrolling for Fall 2021 can now register for placement testing at: https://exams.wisc.edu/placement/regionaltesting/information.php
- One-on-One Sessions: Students wanting assistance with the online application can schedule a virtual 15-minute session with a UW HELP Outreach Specialist here: https://calendly.com/uwhelp/session COVID-19 Admissions Updates and COVID-19 Resources page
2021 Virtual Private College Week
Private College Week, July 12-17, features unique, online open houses at Wisconsin’s private college campuses. Take a tour of 23 campuses, connect with admission and financial aid advisors, get to know professors, learn about the residence halls, find out about dining options, and chat with current students. With special events all week, this is a great time to explore campuses from home.
Healthcare VCE Events
Virtual Career Experience events are online, live interactions with a local healthcare professional. Students will learn about the professional’s academic and career journey, his/her daily routine, starting or average salary, and types of patients seen throughout a day. Participating students will have the opportunity to ask professionals questions. Visit the website for schedules and registration information.
Senior Transcripts & Applications
- Students with applications requiring mid-year transcripts should request them in Naviance using the same process they used for the initial transcript.
- Students request transcripts in Naviance for electronic delivery to colleges and universities.
- Requests for hard copies should be emailed directly to email@example.com.
UW System Application Fees Waived
The University of Wisconsin (UW) System has announced a no cost application fee for most UW campuses for approximately the next two years. Students who have already submitted applications prior to December 11, 2020, but have not yet submitted payment, will still be required to pay the application fee; it will not be retroactively applied to already submitted applications. UW campuses that continue to require the application fee are UW-Eau Claire Region, UW-La Crosse, and UW-Madison.