Miss Abel's Kindergarten Class
Byron Center Charter School
February 8th-11th Newsletter
We waddled our way into our Penguin Unit. This week we read nonfiction books and focused on the goal, “Í can learn from nonfiction books.” We recorded our schema (prior knowledge) of penguins and then recorded our new learning. It has been fun learning about this fun, unique bird. Next week we will continue with our Penguin Unit, but will read fictional stories and focus on the skill of retelling important story elements.
Along with reviewing previous learned letter patterns, we learned a new same sound, different spelling. The letter patterns of /ee/, /ea/, /y/ can all make the long e sound (sweet, treat, silly) . We will continue to learn the different spellings of the long e sound as the students will practice writing words, reading words, and writing sentences with those letter patterns.
All About Penguins! As we have been reading these nonfiction books about penguins, we have been learning how to write a nonfiction book. At first we discussed conventions of a nonfiction book and what they usually include. The students began their nonfiction book by writing and drawing a diagram of a penguin. The pages to follow in their book will include different information about penguins. It has been so fun to see the class get excited about writing what they have learned! Next week we will continue to work on completing their nonfiction book.
Throughout the week we really focused on number bonds. A number bond helps children get a mental picture of the relationship between a number and the parts that combine to make it. This concept is basic, but important as it helps children understand how numbers work. Number bonds especially help students add and subtract.
Precious Snapshots of Kindergarten Moments
Snowmen in the Making!
In January, the class read many snowmen books and wrote, "How to Build a Snowman." After all that snowman talk, they were able to finally make a snowman to eat!
Reminders & Announcements
- 100th DAY OF KINDERGARTEN!!!! We're 100 days smarter on, Wednesday, February 17th! Please remind your child to bring their collection of 100 items. See the attached note about the 100th day. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B30GvgSWGD7eOTJaSkM5Q2NpNGc/view?usp=sharing
- Daddy/Daughter Dance is Friday, February 19th from 6:30-8:30.
- Skate Night is Tuesday, February 23rd at Byron Fun Spot from 6-8 p.m.
- Parent/Teacher Conferences will be March 1st & March 3rd. Stayed tuned for sign-ups!
- GR Children's Museum field trip has been rescheduled for Friday, March 11th.