BAMS Staff Newsletter
September 27, 2015 - Volume 3, Issue 4
Be Awesome Today!!
Bessie Allen Middle School - SLO & Goals
*To Be Finalized in October*
- Have Patience and Courage
- Purposefully Use Learning Targets/Lesson Goals for Every Lesson
- Have Solution Based Discussions
- Be an Award Winning School - DPI School of Recognition/PBIS School of Merit
Driving Question for 2015-2016:
What have we changed with our instruction to prepare all our students for higher level thinking opportunities?
Still HELP WANTED - Please consider helping with these opportunities.
- Veteran's Day Leadership - Theresa Galligan is willing to help you with this.
- BAMS Historical Timeline - Continue the timeline through the present like we have in our main hallway.
- Honor's Reception Leadership - Connie Gross is willing to help you with this.
- BAMS Got Talent Leadership - Adam Micke is willing to help you with this.
- Data Warehouse Leadership - Design a collection tool for all of our behavioral/academic data to be housed in one Google Doc.
News and Notes
- Do you have students with missing work? Do you have students that are failing your class? What is your next step? - Talk to your teammates or refer to our Student Support Process. I have been hearing about many contact to parents and conversations with students, great practice!
- The administrative team has decided to have another lockdown drill some time in the near future. The drill date and time will not be announced. You'll get directions during the drill to help guide what your actions are. Be prepared for this. Keep thinking about our ALICE training and all of the options you have in lockdown situations.
- Team Room Donations - Please give any Team Room donations of money to Kim/Jenny. If you have any food donations, just put it in the team room. This is an optional thing. Do what feels good!
- This is just a reminder that we want all of our students to be able to go on every field trip. If the cost is an issue, we can always work with the family. You can set something up or have the parent contact the office to set up a payment plan.
- Solution Based Discussions - Keep working towards our conversations being productive and solution based. There are many things we cannot control in our profession. We are all too busy to have conversations that don't produce an outcome. Please help me with this if you see this in me. I want to honor your time.
- Thank you for administering the first round of our writing benchmark. The date to complete the scoring for these samples is October 9th.
Out of the Office
- September 29th - 9-11:30am - Admin Team Meeting - DMR
- September 30th - BCT Team Meeting 8:30-9:30, Team Room
- October 1st - 8:30-10:00am - Doctor's Appointment
- October 2nd - 3pm - I'll be leaving to head out of town for the weekend
- October 6th - 9-11:30am - Admin Team Meeting - DMR
- October 7th - 7:45-8:45am - District Wide ELL Meeting - Cafe
Oriole Way - Be Ready, Be Respectful, Be Safe
Minor Behavior form link - here
Major Behavior form link - here
Why Do We Discipline? = To Maintain Safety, To Teach, and To Build Relationships
- Smile at an individual if you are within 10 feet of them.
- Say hello to an individual if you are within 5 feet of them.
- BAMS Blitz this week - I will give reminders for all throughout the week. Be looking for manners and acts of kindness. See Brandon if you missed his email. Make it Rain!!!!
- School Stores - Each grade level has its own school store. They are open and ready for business. I'll be giving students reminders about this, too.
- NEXT Meeting - October 7th, 7am
OASYS and Teacher Effectiveness
To Do List
- Think About PPG and SLO for this Year - Month of September
- First Round of Student Surveys - Due by October 15th
- Complete Survey Growth Plan - Due October 15th
- Finalize PPG and SLO - Due by October 15th *I had the 30th before, but
- Make 2 Professional Visits to Another Classroom - Due by End of Year
Click Here for a link to Teacher Effectiveness Info from CESA 6
Click Here for a Teacher Effectiveness Calendar for EDUCATORS/SPECIALISTS
Dates to Remember
- September 28 - School Board Meeting 7pm
- October 1 - Mid-Quarter Grades Due 3pm
- October 5-9 - Homecoming Week
*See Google Doc titled "2015-2016 BAMS Yearly Calendar" for a look at events for the entire year.
Homecoming Week - October 5-9
- Monday - Gender Swap Day - regular schedule day
- Tuesday - Tacky Tourist Day - block day - odds
- Wednesday - Super Hero Day - block day - evens
- Thursday - Sports/Team Day - early release day - BAMS Pep Assembly 1:45pm
- Friday - Orange/Black Day - regular schedule day
*Thank you to the Oriole Leaders for planning the fun activities!!