BISD Family Connects
E-Newsletter for Families and Staff
Back to School Issue ~ August 2, 2022
- Important Safety News
- Standard Response Protocol
- BISD Tip Line
- Clear Bag Policy
- Back to School Bash is TONIGHT!
Returning Student Online Registration
Updated COVID-19 Procedures
Breakfast & Lunch Meals
Bus Transportation Update
Community & School Resources (including immunizations, school supplies and bell schedules)
THERE IS A LOT OF INFORMATION INCLUDED IN THIS ISSUE OF OUR NEWSLETTER ESPECIALLY RELATED TO SAFETY. PLEASE TAKE A FEW MINUTES TO READ THE NEWSLETTER IN ITS ENTIRETY.
Important Safety News
- It is a critical safety measure that we have accurate, up to date information on all of our students. We are asking for your help to log in today and complete the Verification Process for each child. If you've already done this, we thank you!
- This summer we have expanded the BISD Police Department by hiring four additional police officers throughout the district. This expansion brings the total number of officers in the department to 17, which allows us to provide important coverage throughout the district.
- The BISD Police Department has received advanced training this summer in specific school safety topics including Advanced Law Enforcement Rapid Response Training.
- BISD is hosting Standard Reunification Method (SRM) training August 2-3 in cooperation with the I Love U Guys Foundation. SRM training is important in an event where the district needs to reunite parents with their children after a crisis. District and campus administrators, select campus staff, local and regional law enforcement partners, as well as community partners like the American Red Cross and Bastrop County Cares, will be participating in the training.
- Last week, we completed a comprehensive audit of all exterior doors at all campuses. We are in the process of addressing any areas of concern that were identified, including ordering parts and installing corrective measures.
- In the next several days, campus administrators will finalize the completion of an additional safety audit of other areas of their buildings including visitor protocols and threat assessment procedures.
- BISD will continue to require that all classroom doors to be locked at all times. In addition, this year we will be conducting frequent random checks to ensure that teachers are maintaining those locked doors. We will also be doing weekly sweeps of all exterior doors to ensure they are safe and secure and not being propped open for any reason.
- BISD offers a "tip line" that is available to students, staff, parents, and community members that allows them to report to the district issues related to bullying/cyberbullying, drugs, suicidal concerns, weapons, a teacher-student relationship, and more. Although the reporter's contact information is helpful, reports also can be anonymous. Tips can be made through the website, mobile app or by texting/calling 512-412-3373.
- We have implemented a Clear Bag Policy for spectators and guests at Memorial Stadium, Erhard Field, the Performing Arts Center, and at our competition gymnasiums. See the flyer below for details of which bags are allowed and are not allowed.
- All campuses are receiving important staff safety training next week in Citizen Response to Active Attacker Event (CRAAE), Stop the Bleed, and campus safety protocols. All visitors, even common visitors such as PTA volunteers, are required to check in at the front office, present ID and obtain a visitor pass.
- We are installing wrought iron fencing to secure the courtyards at Bastrop Middle School and Cedar Creek Middle School. Fencing installation begins August 8. This is part of the 2021 Bond Program.
- We are installing additional security cameras throughout the district. This is part of the 2021 Bond Program.
- In BISD, we will continue to use the updated Standard Response Protocol for our safety protocol. We train throughout the school year on these protocols, and we utilize common language with all students and staff so that we know how to respond in the event of some type of crisis, whether big or small. Please review the flyer below so that you are familiar with what your students will be learning and practicing at school.
- Each school will conduct a set of safety drills throughout the year as a way to practice how to respond to various scenarios. Those drills include fire drills, evacuation, lockdown, and sheltering in place.
Parents, please know that this is not an exhaustive list of the measures and practices we employ in BISD, but these are some highlights that we felt it was important to share. We remain 100% committed to the safety and security of our students and staff, and we appreciate your support and partnership. We cannot do this without you and without our friends in the community such as other law enforcement agencies and safety partners. If you have questions or additional concerns, please reach out to your child's principal or the district office.
Click the link above to visit the I LOVE U GUYS FOUNDATION
Submit a Tip to BISD
- Drugs & Alcohol
- Teacher-Student Relationships
- And more.
Your report will go to officials in the district office, and you can even submit your tip or concern anonymously if you choose. There are numerous convenient ways to submit your tip:
- Use the button called TIP LINE on our mobile app (you can download the app below).
- Use the online form on our website HERE
- Text your tip to 512-412-3373
- Leave a voicemail on the tip line at 512-412-3373
Back to School Bash is TONIGHT!
COVID vaccines will be available at the Texas Department of State Health Services booth. Childhood immunizations will be available at the BISD Health Clinic booth.
DUE TO THE COUNTYWIDE BURN BAN THAT IS STILL IN EFFECT,
THE FIREWORKS SHOW HAS BEEN CANCELLED!
Returning Student Online Registration
** FOR RETURNING STUDENTS **
YOU MUST VERIFY YOUR CHILD'S INFORMATION IN SKYWARD FOR 2022-2023 BEFORE STUDENTS CAN RECEIVE A SCHEDULE OR HOMEROOM TEACHER ASSIGNMENT
Parents must log into their Family Access account to verify information and update permissions. After logging into Family Access, you will select "Returning Student Online Registration". This allows you to verify all of your child's data and provide updates for any important information that has changed such as phone numbers, emergency contacts, and student health history. HAVING ACCURATE INFORMATION IS CRITICAL TO KEEPING OUR SCHOOLS SAFE LEARNING SPACES!
If you cannot remember your Family Access credentials, use the Forgot Your Login/Password? link. If you're still having trouble logging in to Family Access, contact the Help Desk at 512-772-7199. NOTE: If you are enrolling a child who is the sibling of a student currently enrolled in BISD, you do not need to create a new Family Access account. You can simply add another child when you verify current student information.
Updated COVID-19 Procedures
We have not received any updated guidance from the Texas Education Agency regarding COVID-19 protocols. However, we feel confident we have the necessary protocols in place to address any continued issues with COVID-19.
IF A STUDENT TESTS POSITIVE FOR COVID-19:
A student with symptoms must quarantine until 5 days have passed since symptoms started, be fever free (less than 100° Fahrenheit) without the use of fever-reducing medication, and have other symptoms improved. A student who tests positive but does not have any symptoms must quarantine until 5 days after the date of the positive test.
IF A STUDENT IS EXPOSED TO COVID-19:
BISD does not require students who are close contacts to quarantine if they are exposed to COVID-19. Students should monitor their symptoms for 14 days after exposure.
Breakfast & Lunch Meals
HIGH SCHOOL PARENTS:
If you are the parent of a high school student, you must complete the Free and Reduced-Price Meal Application to access free and reduced-price meals. In addition, there are important benefits for the district and your child such as grants, program funding, athletic waivers, college testing waivers, textbook assistance, and more. BISD receives critical federal, state and grant funding based on the completion of the meal application forms. Thank you in advance for completing the meal application form.
Bastrop ISD is pleased to announce that our elementary, intermediate and middle schools will provide free breakfast and lunch to all students under the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program for the 2022-2023 school year. These ten schools qualify to operate the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) to ensure students receive nutritious meals at no cost to families.
Find Your Child's Bus Route
THIS INFORMATION IS NOT FINALIZED YET. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.
Parents can log in to the new bus transportation system
called VersaTrans using their student's ID. The student ID serves as both the username and the password.
To ensure GoldStar has all of the information they need to make decisions, it will be important for all parents to complete the Returning Student Information Verification and to indicate whether or not bus transportation will be needed. Visit your Family Access login page to complete this process.
Community & School Resources
Free Adult Classes
7th Grade Immunizations Available This Week
Parents should bring their child's current shot record and $10.
The Children's Wellness Center will be providing incoming 7th graders their Tdap and MCV vaccines. They will be at the CCMS cafeteria on Wednesday, August 3rd from 8am-1pm, and then at the BMS cafeteria on Thursday, August 4th from 8am-1pm.
August 2 ~ 6:30-8:30 pm ~ Back to School Bash & Backpack Bingo @ Memorial Stadium
August 3 ~ 8:00am-1:00pm ~ 7th grade immunizations at CCMS
August 4 ~ 8:00am-1:00pm ~ 7th grade immunizations at BMSAugust 15 ~ 5:30-7:00 pm ~ Meet the Teacher for Elementary
August 15 ~ 6:00-7:30 pm ~ Meet the Teacher for Intermediate
August 16 ~ 5:30 pm ~ BISD Board of Trustees Meeting @ the PAC
August 17 ~ First day of school