Lowell Memo: Issue #2
September 13, 2013
From Mrs. Melton...
We had another great week at Lowell which included our first PTA meeting of the year! Thanks to the many parents who were able to join us and who help our students and staff in so many ways. You'll find a complete list of PTA meetings below.
Our students have been busy taking their fall assessments. All grade levels took math assessments online. This is designed to prepare them for the future shift in state testing to an online format. From our youngest learners all the way to our 5th grade leaders, we're very proud of their hard work and positive attitudes. I look forward to highlighting the many areas of success and student learning throughout the year!
Have a wonderful week!
Thanks to everyone who has joined the PTA. Please continue to get your membership forms/fees into the office or register online: http://lowellpta.org/index.php Directories will be delivered to all members once they are available.
Cook's Night Out @ Chipotle & Yogurtland is September 24th...see details below!!
What has PTA done lately?
- The PTA has approved funds for Lowell to purchase 20 new iPads for our Lowell students. The plan is to purchase and start with one set of 10 iPads for the primary grades and one set of 10 iPads for the intermediate grades.
- Did you attend the Back to School Social? Some of the treats, snacks, drinks and goodies were donated by the PTA and others were donated by parents. Thanks to all who contributed to make it such a success!
- Both First and Third grade are taking field trips in September at no cost to parents, thanks to funding from the PTA!
Are you a PTA member?
Thanks to all of you who have joined PTA this year! If you have not done so, please consider joining and helping us meet our goal of one PTA member for every Lowell student. Membership forms are in the office and you can register and pay online as well: http://www.lowellpta.org/pta-membership-form/
Not sure if you have joined the Lowell PTA this year? Please contact Barbara Razzino at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Free & Reduced Lunch Applications Due
Lowell students thank the PTA for your generous donation of recess equipment!
Participation in periodic weekend tournaments, including the state chess
tournament, will be OPTIONAL (extra fees required). This year, the state tournament is very close to home - Schaumburg. Dues of no more than $75/family will be charged to pay for professional instruction led by Chess Master Jim Egerton of Chess-Now (www.chess-now.com).
To sign your child up for Lowell's Chess Team, contact Josephine Horn
at (630) 653-8183 or Josephine.Horn@alcatel-lucent.com
First Day Photos
The Yearbook committee would love to see your photos of the first day of school! Please email your pictures to Cheryl Koenig at email@example.com. Please send using the largest file size/highest resolution possible. No Shutterfly/photo sharing links, please.
- September 9th- Green Club (Every 2nd Monday; 3:30-4:45 p.m.)
- September 12th- First PTA meeting @ 7 p.m.
- September 18th- 3rd Grade Field Trip to Danada Farm
- September 24th- Picture Day
- September 24th- Cook's Night Out (See below for details!)
- September 26th- 1st Grade Field Trip to Cosley Zoo
- November 9th- Trivia Night (See below for details!)
Cooks Night Out- Chipotle & Yogurtland
Tuesday, Sep. 24th 2013 at 5-8pm
695 Roosevelt Road
Glen Ellyn, IL
*****Calling ALL STUDENTS, FAMILIES, and FRIENDS!!!*****
Mark your calendars for Tuesday, September 24th, from 5pm - 8pm, at the Chipotle and Yogurtland in Glen Ellyn! Please come and dine in, take out, or pick up a gift card. Let's kick off the school year with a great turnout! Last April, Lowell set a Chipotle record and we want to break that record. Please help us!
Chipotle will give us 50% of every dollar we spend there, which is amazing! Walk a few doors down, and Yogurtland is willing to donate a SUBSTANTIAL percentage to Lowell as well. What a great way to feed the family dinner, dessert or both and help Lowell! Look for flyers and more information coming in the school folders.
Mark your calendars and join us for a record setting night and kick off the school year right!
2013-14 PTA Meetings
- Friday, October 18th- 9:30 a.m.
- Thursday, November 21st- 7 p.m.
- Friday, December 13th- 9:30 a.m.
- Thursday, January 23rd- 7 p.m.
- Friday, February 21st- 9:30 a.m.
- Thursday, March 20th- 7 p.m.
- Friday, April 11th- 9:30 a.m.
- Thursday, May 15th- 7 p.m.
All Thursday evening meetings will be held in the LLC.
All Friday morning meetings will be held in the Art Room.
Free babysitting is available at each meeting.