November 13, 2015
Veterans Day Committee - All I have to say is Wow! You really hit this one out of the park. We had John Keating report it was the best one he had seen. Way to go! Thank you for providing the goodies in the library after too!
Andra Boney - Thank you for providing a model to another teacher in the district who is news. I appreciate you mentoring and coaching one of Frisco's own.
Janie Dockweiler, Midge Schmidt, and Ashlei Funtjar - Thank you for adjusting for one of our students so quickly. I appreciate you always operating with what is best for students.
4th Grade - Thank you for taking the time to come up with really great next steps to help your students in math. I am excited about your pre-assessments and how you are using them for growth.
Danie Love and Jen Baker - Thanks for setting up a plan for a student who is struggling. The social stories will be amazing. Please invite me to one in particular:)
November 18 - 8:00 am Healthy Lifestyles Meeting, 2nd Grade to Frisco Heritage Museum, 5th Grade to Pine Cove, 3:20 pm All K-2 Teachers and Specialty Teachers (see note below about attendance) in Library
November 19 - 2nd Grade to Frisco Heritage Museum, 5th Grade to Pine Cove
November 20 - Celebrate Smith, Principal Award Nominations Due to Maas, 5th Grade to Pine Cove
November 23-27 Happy Thanksgiving!
November 30 - 3:20 pm ITL Meeting
December 1 - Pei Wei Spirit Night
December 4 - Celebrate Smith (Principal Award Winners Announced)
Wednesday Professional Development - November 18, December 2
November 18 - K-2 teachers
December 2 - 3-5 teachers
Please read the attached article to the email prior to coming to the PD session. We will have an activity to share new thinking. Our math teachers will have a separate article to read.
Principal Award Nominations
Elementary Instructional Coach Informational Meeting
An informational meeting for Frisco ISD staff interested in applying for the elementary instructional coach position is scheduled for Thursday, December 17, 4:30-5:30 in the FISD board room.
Job responsibilities and program expectations will be shared. Attendance is not required for applicants interested in future positions. Three or more years of classroom experience is required.
Dimension 2.4 Differentiation
Dimension 2.4 Differentiation:
The teacher differentiates instruction, aligning methods and techniques to diverse student needs.
- Adapts lessons with a wide variety of instructional strategies to address individual needs of all students.
- Consistently monitors the quality of student participation and performance.
- Always provides differentiated instructional methods and content to ensure students have the opportunity to master what is being taught.
- Consistently prevents student confusion or disengagement by addressing learning and/or social/emotional needs of all students.
Looks Like: (Summarized from PD - Google Classroom)
Small groups- teacher table
Stations are aligned with skills (target which station we are going to)
Students grouped by level
Students reading into an iPad for fluency
Using sticky notes from a quick pre-assessment to decide on groups
Backwards Planning - using and monitoring student behaviors using the document
Materials are differentiated (leveled)
Graphic organizers are used
Journals for a small group needing word work
- Engagement inventory
- Students reading into a recorder and listening back
- Small group of students reading with the teacher
- Shared reading to support students (math problems, science passage, etc.)
Who Are You?
1. Enthusiastic Beginner - You need someone to help give you direction.
2. Disillusioned Learner - You need someone to coach you.
3. Capable But Cautious - You need supporters to encourage you.
4. Self-Reliant Achiever - You need people to resource your dreams.
Find the people you need to assist you during your current phase of growth. Never forget that those closest to you determine your level of success.
From The Choice Is Yours by John C. Maxwell
Follow Smith on Twitter or Like on Facebook
Thanks to the following staff members for following us on Twitter!
Thank you for liking us on Facebook!