National Concrete Burial Vault Association
NCBVA ANNUAL MEETING with plant tour AT BRUNS DORIC
The annual meeting was held on Saturday, August 10, in St. Louis, MO. The meeting was conducted at the Drury Inn & Suites and was attended by more than 60 burial vault manufacturers, suppliers, dealers, and guests stretching from Phoenix to Boston – a 100% increase in attendance year-over-year.
The general session included a legal liability presentation as well as a bylaws discussion, and then hands-on demonstrations were held at Bruns Doric Vault. Bruns Doric Vault personnel gave a plant tour of the facility and pouring operations, and demonstrated best practices for vault lowering devices – everything from record keeping to safety and proper care checklists.
Several vendors led additional sessions:
- Garcia Casket Lowering Devices - Casket lowering device daily checklist and how to maintain a safe device
- T & J Manufacturing Corp. - Burial vault lowering device inner workings and maintenance
- Axis Corporation - The dos and don’ts including OSHA regulations for vault carts
- American Cemetery Supply, Cemetery Funeral Supply, & Holland Supply - a show & tell on tent safety, liability, & maintenance
The event concluded with a group outing to the St. Louis Cardinals MLB baseball game.
2019 Goals -- update on progress
- Maintain and grow memberships - DONE
- Develop sponsorship programs - in progress
- Conduct 3 educational programs - in progress - 2 complete
- Conduct annual meeting + 2 board meetings - in progress - 2 of 3 complete
- Manage expenses; reduce accounting hours year over year - in progress - net income at $23K YTD; down 31 hours for same time period
- Evaluate FAMIC relationship / options - DONE
- Roll out new certification schedule / process - DONE
PResidential Laughter...and a bobblehead!
BRUNS DORIC PLANT TOUR & MEETING STATIONS
Garcia Casket Lowering Devices demonstrating methods to lower caskets.
T & J Manufacturing demonstrating hand cranks and vault lowering devices.
Axis Corporation trains on vault cart usage and OSHA regulations
American Cemetery Supply, Cemetery Funeral Supply, & Holland Supply lead a show & tell on tent safety, liability, and maintenance.
Who knew a vault could double as a cooler?
Meeting in session
We kicked off the meeting at the Drury Inn.
Let's go out to the ball game!
Half-Year MEMBERSHIPs - limited time only
A mid-year single-site membership is valid for the remainder of 2019 and available for $225 (instead of $450). Mid-year memberships are available for a limited time and not applicable to any other year. With the membership, you receive a copy of the NCBVA legal document on disinterment/reinterment that you can use with your funeral homes and cemeteries.
Doric licensees - remember that you need to submit a copy of your dues payment to Doric for reimbursement of 50%. Also, you must be an active NCBVA member before a certification visit will be scheduled at your plant.
NEW: NCBVA Facebook page
Legal Implications Article
Social Media In the Workplace
The next legal topic will be: Social Media Protection/Risks. Be on the lookout for a full article and a Q&A call where you can ask your questions to Poul Lesmasters, NCBVA Legal Counsel.
"You know the old story. An employee posts some bad comments about his boss. Boss fires employee. Employee sues for wrongful termination. Employee wins.
Yup - you read that right. You, the employer may not be able to fire someone just because they say some negative stuff about you on social media. So what can you do when it comes social media? Do you have a policy? Are you allowed to have a policy? And forget about employees - what about consumers talking about you on social media outlets - what can you do there? Make sure you know the ins and outs of social media and how it effects your business."
If you are interested in promoting your products or services to the NCBVA membership, below are some new options.
- Sponsor our next newsletter – $500
- Sponsor our next legal newsletter – $500
- Sponsor our next legal postcard – $700
- Sponsor our next newsletter/postcard combo - $1000 - save $200
Need more information or ready to lock a sponsorship? Contact us now.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS Elections and terms
2020 open spots: 3-year term (1)
2021 open spots: 3-year term (2) + 1-year term (1)
You can view the current membership list and submit your edits as needed.
We'd like to extend a warm welcome and a thank you to our latest members (July 1 - September 17) listed below:
- Baxter Vault Company (KS)
- Brutsche Concrete Products
- Cooper Wilbert Vault
- DePue Wilbert
- Doody Burial Vaults
- Edgmont Metallic Pigment
- Forsht Products
- Garcia’s Lowering Device Service
- Grand Rapids Wilbert
- Merz Vault Co
- QPS of South Bend
- Rocky Hill Vault
- Southside Grave & Vault
- T&J Manufacturing Corp
- Tomlin Funeral Supply
- West Michigan Burial Vaults
- Wilson Burial Vaults
See the full directory to view all current members (payments received through September 17, 2019).