ReaLM Newsletter 2 - 2014
Reading and Literacy in the Manawatu
New Zealand Post Book Awards for Childrens and Young Adults
- We are on the last week countdown to the announcement of the finalists, which will take place on Tuesday 8th April.
- We have organised a range of events in the Manawatu celebrating these authors and illustrators. Information about these events will be released via our website, Twitter and our Facebook page next week.
'Libraries, Literacy and You' Seminar Day
- We have finalised and can confirm the six sessions for Friday 13th June 2014. To be held at the Sports and Rugby Institute, Massey University. Check out the full line up on our website.
- We are very excited to announce the return of one of our first year's speakers - Brian Falkner. Brian is an internationally renowned author and a dynamic presenter. He will be discussing the importance of reading and showcasing ways to increase the readership in your library.
- This year we will be having a session with a series of shorter presentations of a similar theme.
- Our tech session for 2014 will be Miriam Tuohy presenting on ways to use online tools to enhance the work you do in your library with engaging your readers, on a digital scale.
- Don't forget early bird registrations close on Thursday 17th April to be in to win $200 worth of books from Romawi Books. Click here to register.
Big Kids' Lit Quiz
- Due to the popularity of last year's event we are doing it again. Wayne Mills will be running a Kids Lit Quiz for 'Big Kids' on Thursday 5th June. It's bound to be another fun filled evening!
- A great night out for community members such as teachers, librarians and parents of the talented kids who have competed against their peers earlier in the day.
- Money raised from this event helps fund our 'Literacy Tour of Manawatu Schools' in which we bring authors and literacy professionals into local schools to talk about and promote reading to Manawatu students.
- Nibbles will be included in the ticket price and alcohol is BYO.
- Register your interest at firstname.lastname@example.org
ReaLM - Reading and Literacy in the Manawatu
ReaLM (Reading and Literacy in the Manawatu) is a not-for-profit committee set up by like-minded Manawatu teachers and librarians, working together since 2010.
- To offer Professional Development and networking opportunities for library staff and literacy educators working with children and young adults.
- To promote literacy in the Manawatu.