Red Ribbon Week (Drug Awareness Program)
October is Drug Awareness Month. Red Ribbon Week is October 23rd-31st. There are lots of things planned to bring awareness to this important topic.
- I will be talking with students in counseling classes about the emotional and physical dangers of substance use and abuse. They will learn how to make good choices and have healthy bodies.
- I will also have essay and/or poster contests for students to participate in to share their knowledge about the dangers of drug use. I would love for you to participate in these on a grade level, classroom level, or individual student level. If you opt for creating essays, I can provide the upper level grades with pamphlets about different drugs, I have videos about different drugs, or they can choose other topics about drug use or its effects. Get with me about your different options and how we can pick winners in a contest. Lower grades levels might prefer posters that we can hang around the school.
- I will provide coloring pages for students that you might want to hang on your walls or doors.
- Every student and teacher will receive red ribbons. Students who wear their red ribbon every day during Red Ribbon Week will win a prize.
- We will have a "Wear Red Day" on October 26th.
- The school will participate in the Red Ribbon Photo Contest for a chance to win an iPad and $1,000 for our school. We will be sending information home for parents to vote and participate in this activity. There will be more information to come on the photo that will be chosen for the school. We hope to include as many students as possible in the photo. Please encourage students and/or parents to vote. You might provide some kind of incentive for students/parents to participate.
- There will be posters around the school and informational boards outside the counselor's office.
If you have any questions or would like to help participate in any way, please let me know.