Pirate Cove Connection
PES Media Center News - August 2017
Welcome Back to the Pirate Cove!
New Year, New Schedule
The mission of the library media program is to ensure that students and staff are effective users of ideas, information and technology. Creating a foundation for lifelong learning is at the heart of our program, so that we are prepared to set sail into tomorrow’s world.
- There is a two-week checkout period. Items can be renewed as needed.
- The number of resources students can check-out is based on the following grade level system. 3-5 may be given special permission to checkout additional books for research projects.
Kindergarten Students – 1 book
First Grade Students – 2 books
Second Grade Students – 2 books
Third Grade Students – 3 books
Fourth Grade Students – 3 books
Fifth Grade Students - 3 books
- Classroom teachers distribute overdue notices and occasionally parents will be sent e-mail notifications.
- Fines are not charged, but students are expected to pay for lost or damaged books. To pay online visit www.schoolpay.com.
- Only past issues of magazines are available for check-out.
- Parents can request library cards and check out books with their children.
Library Catolog - Follett Destiny
Sunshine State Young Readers Award
Each year students are challenged to read books from the Sunshine State Reader list. There are 15 books on the list for grades 3-5. Once students have read at least 3 books and passed an AR test with 70% accuracy, they are eligible to vote for their favorite book. There will be incentives for reading each of the books. Students who read 10 or more will be invited to try out for the Battle of the Books team. For more information and a printable list of books, visit the PES Media Center Website.
Volunteers in the Media Center
Summer Reading Adventure
What are we learning in Media this month?
- Rules and Procedures in the Library
- Readalouds include Chester Visits the Library, Watch Your Paws Chester, and A Book for Chester
- Overview of our Library Brochure
- Introduction to the SSYRA Program (3rd-5th)
Birthday Book Club
The Palencia Elementary School Media Center’s Birthday Book Club is a wonderful way to commemorate your child’s birthday. Your participation not only enriches the library collection but allows you and your child to be personally involved in its growth. To take part in the Birthday Book Club donate one new undamaged hardcover book (not a board book). This book should be a book that your child enjoys and one that we don’t have in the media center already. You can choose a new book at the book store or a new book from the Book Fair. A quick check of our library catalog (Destiny) will tell you if we already have the book. If you would prefer, you may make a monetary donation of $15 and your child can choose from recently acquired books that are waiting to be put on the shelves. For more information, contact the media center.